Regular Maintenence - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Regular Maintenence

So, I'm considering a versys. What's he scheduled maintenence like? I know about keeping the chain waxed and regular oil changes. What about valve adjustments? How long are the tires lasting? Anyone know the reason the plugs need to be changed so often? Anything else I haven't thpought of? I've owned bikes for years, some more maintenence intensive than others. I'd rather ride than wrench. Mods and farkles are a different matter.

If all you can see in your mirrors is the direction you were previously traveling intermingled with sparks, and all you can hear is commotion from the passenger riding pillion; things are not at all as they should be.

The rear wheel is just a big fan used to keep the Rider cool and his butt relaxed. If in doubt... watch. When it locks up or slides out you can actually see the rider start sweating and pucker marks are left on the seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tires - 8,000 miles on mine, ALMOST time for a rear, probably another 8,000 in the front. Valves are around 24,000 I BELIEVE. Very little maintenance on this GREAT bike! Get one.
Ed
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Trashed my OEM Flops at 7000miles. Trashed the Conti Road Attacks at 7800miles.

Don't let you tire go this far!!-exactly 7800miles

Now have Michelin Pilot Powers, probably won't last as long, but they'll grip well.

I change my oil & filter every 2-3000miles. I'm coming up on 16k miles and will change plugs and clean air-filter in next few weeks.

I lube the chain every 300-500miles. I use this stuff and chain hasn't been adjusted other than when new rear tires have been fitted. Bike has nearly 16k miles on it and chain is like new.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Trashed my OEM Flops at 7000miles. Trashed the Conti Road Attacks at 7800miles.

Don't let you tire go this far!!-exactly 7800miles

Now have Michelin Pilot Powers, probably won't last as long, but they'll grip well.

I change my oil & filter every 2-3000miles. I'm coming up on 16k miles and will change plugs and clean air-filter in next few weeks.

I lube the chain every 300-500miles. I use this stuff and chain hasn't been adjusted other than when new rear tires have been fitted. Bike has nearly 16k miles on it and chain is like new.

Machog

I gotta try that stuff. Does it fling off the chain onto the wheel? I hate that!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM

No, its stays where it should.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Is that Dupont Teflon lubricant OK to use to lubricate clutch and throttle cables?

If not, what do all of you use?
And what's the best method for lubing the cables without "tools"?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
So, I'm considering a versys. What's he scheduled maintenence like? I know about keeping the chain waxed and regular oil changes. What about valve adjustments? How long are the tires lasting? Anyone know the reason the plugs need to be changed so often? Anything else I haven't thpought of? I've owned bikes for years, some more maintenence intensive than others. I'd rather ride than wrench. Mods and farkles are a different matter.
This for links posted where you can download the entire service manual that details all sceduled maintenance.

The Versys requires so little maintenance.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Is that Dupont Teflon lubricant OK to use to lubricate clutch and throttle cables?
I use it for that on a regular basis. Living most of the year in the Pacificnorthwet, it helps keep the rust out.

Machog

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks Machog!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 PM

I was wondering the same thing about lubing the cables. Is there anything that you really need to lube with graphite? My stock rubber looked like that Conti attack at 6000 miles.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 03-27-2009 at 08:18 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 PM

The Dupont stuff is great. If you aren't seeing dirt and mud a lot your chain looks bright and shiny damn near all the time.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM

I have been using it and it is great because it dries quickly and doesn't make a mess. I also use the white lithium grease before long ride.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM

I don't know where these guys ride, but my rear looked about like that picture Mac posted after a little under 4K miles. The Dunlop Qualifier that replaced it lasted 3K... The current Pirelli Sync looks like they may go a little further, but probably not much further.

Gustavo

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Only 7800 on a tire? Maybe the V isn't the right bike for me. I put around 400 miles a week just in commuting. That's maybe 4 months per wheel? I can't afford that kind tire changing. I was about to go pick up a bike today, but you guys have me reconsidering. Is it just the OEM tires, or are there some that last longer? I'm used to getting 11-12k+.

The Valkyrie gets around 35K out of a rear, but it's a "dark side" tire

If all you can see in your mirrors is the direction you were previously traveling intermingled with sparks, and all you can hear is commotion from the passenger riding pillion; things are not at all as they should be.

The rear wheel is just a big fan used to keep the Rider cool and his butt relaxed. If in doubt... watch. When it locks up or slides out you can actually see the rider start sweating and pucker marks are left on the seat.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 PM

I ride in Palm Desert area for 3+ months of the year. Its very hot and fairly aggressive riding. Check with others on the board, but I think it would be reasonable to expect 10k+ miles a year commuting.

Machog

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Check page 2-27 in the Service Manual. CAUTION, use only kerosene or diesel oil to clean an O-ring drive chain. Any cleaning solution containing trichlorethlene will cause deterioration ande swelling of the O-ring. SAE 90 is preferred. Wax is not a lube.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
SAE 90 is preferred. Wax is not a lube.
Angus, you misread that page. It also says this:

Quote:
If a special lubricant is not available, a heavy oil such as
SAE 90 is preferred to a lighter oil because it will stay on
the chain longer and provide better lubrication.
Teflon is a "special lubricant". Unless you are using an automatic oiler, it also works a lot better than gear oil on the chain because it doesn't fling off like 90W would providing better lubrication longer than regular oil.

Gustavo

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:05 AM

Where does one get this stuff? Wally World?

2008 Versys
2003 DRZ250
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 AM

I got a can of the Dupont Teflon multi-purpose lubricant (I think that's the name, I know it's Dupont Teflon) in a 10-12 oz size spray can at Lowe's. Seems like it was around $5 or so. Works great, dries and no fling off.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Only place I've found it is Lowes Hardware, HD doesn't carry it-not in my area and never seen it at Wally World.

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode