Accuracy of Speedo - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Accuracy of Speedo

Just wondering how accurate the speedo is, I heard upper speeds above 70 it will be off. any Ideas how much? 85-100 mph does not feel like you are moving that fast....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

There are a few threads around here somewhere on this. Basically with the stock sprockets, the speedo is 5-6 MPH high at 70+ speeds. Several have referenced how their GPS speed did not match the bike's speedo. However, changing the rear sprocket to a 44 or 45 tooth (someone will jump in a give the right size) gets the speedo closer to accurate.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM

Garage
Mine is about 10% at all speeds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM

44 tooth rear made my speedo spot on at all legal speeds in all gears - verified with GPS.

Before, I was closer to 6 or 7 miles an hour under when my speedo was reading 70MPH with stock sprockets in 6th gear. Similar percentages while going slower. Also verified with GPS.

My GPS is spot on with both my Toyota and my wifes Subaru.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM

16 tooth counter on my '08 made my speedo pretty much spot on, GPS verified.

Stock it was off close to 10% (indicated speed > actual speed).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM
djg

44T rear got mine very close but not exactly on gps readings.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Many posts on this, I went with the 16 tooth Kawasaki front, speed is exact, odometer reads about 6% low. I changed it because I don't always have my GPS, plus my revs are down by that amount and less torque on the chain. Changing the rear will accomplish the same thing, however it is the front sprocket that has the least surface area, 16T is a 6% increase over stock.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Dead on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
44T rear got mine very close but not exactly on gps readings.
A 43 tooth rear spocket will get it as close as you can get. Plus a 43 is about perfect for road use both in town and freeway. Also the rear tire can change it up some too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
A 43 tooth rear spocket will get it as close as you can get. Plus a 43 is about perfect for road use both in town and freeway. Also the rear tire can change it up some too.
Agree. I replaced the stock rear sprocket with a 43 tooth and now my speedometer and GPS agree with one another.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM

European 2008 Versys 650 is off by 7.4%
I got a speedohealer to fix that.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 AM

44T rear, am spot on.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosenart View Post
44T rear, am spot on.
But your odo. is off now

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
But your odo. is off now
Who cares? I want to know my actual speed so I don't have people ripping by if I am way under or be ripping by a speed trap myself if I am over.

Only me or a potential buyer would care about actual mileage. So if the odometer is off a few hundred miles when/if I sell, I don't think it will make a hill of beans.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM

I don't understand how: if changing to a 16f or 44r sprocket makes the MPH "SPOT ON" how can the odometer "now be off"... the speedo only clocks miles per hour (or KPH depending on your country) and each recorded mile per hour is converted to tick on the odemeter. Does the V have two separate sensors? One for the speedometer and one for the odometer? I'm new here and still learning... if there is only one sensor, both have to change at the same percentage....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
I don't understand how: if changing to a 16f or 44r sprocket makes the MPH "SPOT ON" how can the odometer "now be off"... the speedo only clocks miles per hour (or KPH depending on your country) and each recorded mile per hour is converted to tick on the odemeter. Does the V have two separate sensors? One for the speedometer and one for the odometer? I'm new here and still learning... if there is only one sensor, both have to change at the same percentage....
It is intentional error on Kawasaki's part. Go run a 10 mile distance on a highway with mileage markers. The odometer will be pretty spot on. But the entire time your speedo was off.

Pretty much every auto manufacture puts a intentional error on the speedo, but not the odo. My Honda truck is the first vehicle Ive ever driven with a accurate speedo.

08' Versys
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Who cares? I want to know my actual speed so I don't have people ripping by if I am way under or be ripping by a speed trap myself if I am over.

Only me or a potential buyer would care about actual mileage. So if the odometer is off a few hundred miles when/if I sell, I don't think it will make a hill of beans.
I just dont see the point in adjusting your gearing, just to fix a speedo. Then I get gearing that I dont like on the bike...

I personally never look at my Speedo when riding. I always use my GPS. The Speedy mount above the V's cluster makes it quicker to look at with a glance.

08' Versys
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM

I worked for a Kawasaki dealership and a consumer had concerns about his speedo accuracy after a ecu update, I told the Kaw Rep that it was out by 5% and he told me it's normal for the speedometer to be optimistic by about that much....lol
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I just dont see the point in adjusting your gearing, just to fix a speedo. Then I get gearing that I dont like on the bike...

I personally never look at my Speedo when riding. I always use my GPS. The Speedy mount above the V's cluster makes it quicker to look at with a glance.
I changed my rear sprocket because I did not like the stock gearing.

So you don't look at your speedo! Glad it works for you. I happen to like having an accurate speedo with or without my GPS installed. And the taller gearing fits my riding style better. To each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode