Foot peg lowering options - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Foot peg lowering options

I'm doing a 3 day trip in late June. The stock seat is fine for me on long trips but my knees start to ache after an hour or two in the saddle. As a point of comparison I'm 5'11" with a 32inch inseam.

1) What are my options wrt lowering my rearsets (pegs)? Speedy's kit looks like a quality product but is near $100 by the time shipping and taxes get paid. Are there any other cheaper options worth looking at?

2) What should I take with me or make sure I have? This is my first multi day trip on the bike.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm doing a 3 day trip in late June. The stock seat is fine for me on long trips but my knees start to ache after an hour or two in the saddle. As a point of comparison I'm 5'11" with a 32inch inseam.

1) What are my options wrt lowering my rearsets (pegs)? Speedy's kit looks like a quality product but is near $100 by the time shipping and taxes get paid. Are there any other cheaper options worth looking at?

2) What should I take with me or make sure I have? This is my first multi day trip on the bike.
About the speedy lowering peg kit, it's not cheao, in both sense of the word
I don't know if their's something else out their, but I stand on those peg, weight north of 300# and have all the confidence that they will hold
It's all up to you, but those bracket are well tought, well executed and to me are worth the $100
Further more, they didn't cost that much to get to me (in montreal at that time) and since it was a gift from Speedy to me, no fee at the border

As you can figure out, I like them alot and they also made a huge difference for my knee (6'2")

Of course it's up to you, but it's a well spend $100

My 2 cents

LOP
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, is that so? The total cost of Speedy's $47 foot peg lowering kit comes to almost $100? Postage to Ontario can't be that much which implies that customs must really stick you. I thought we were neighbors.

I agree with the above post that Speedy's product is absolutely first rate and worth the price (at least here in the US of A).

If your trip was going to be a bit later in the summer I'd buy them and bring them to Maine with me in mid-June and we could arrange a meet and exchange.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM

I'll second (or third?) that

I put'em front and back and my wife and I both think they are great! Quality construction, easy installation (just pay attention to the layout of the brake electrical connection before disassembly) and excellent function, more legroom, without dragging anything too important, at least not too often! A farkle well worth its cost.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

There is a CNC machined lowered footpeg made for the ZX14 on ebay.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM

footpeg lowering?????

dang twowheels......your knees don't hurt because you are too tall.

they hurt from inactivity. you are getting old man

you gotta move them around a bit, and then stop for gas or a drink more often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 AM

I'm about the same height as you and I fitted SW Motech footrests and put them on their lowest setting. Dogs danglies. But I also fitted a custom seat which raises me a touch, so everything helps overall.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 AM

Another vote for Speedy's lowering blocks. I have a 32" inseam, and these are by far the best upgrade I've made to the bike.

The shipping costs aren't as painful if you buy a few items from Speedy, but if you only need the blocks, it's not cheap. Since you are in the Ottawa area, another option is to have them shipped to Ogdensburg, NY and then bring them over the border yourself. One company (My US Address) offers a US mailing address and pickup service for $5/package. You then bring it across the border yourself.

The SW Motech pegs are available at A Vicious Cycle, but they aren't cheap ($156 + tax and shipping from New Dundee, ON).

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
djg

You could even install them and ride back to Canada.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
GDI

I think another option might be Buell lowering pegs, though I've not tried this myself. You may be able to investigate this locally w/o having to worry about shipping concerns.

GDI
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM

After 2 years with the SW Motech enduro-like footpegs I switched to Motowerk lowering pegs + original Kawasaki footpegs. Much better. Don't ask about Motowerk shipping costs to Germany, tho.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
After 2 years with the SW Motech enduro-like footpegs I switched to Motowerk lowering pegs + original Kawasaki footpegs. Much better. Don't ask about Motowerk shipping costs to Germany, tho.
IF you ride any dirt (or have had your feet slip off wet OEM foot-pegs) I'd suggest Motowerk lowering pegs + Suzuki DR650 foot-pegs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM

I put on the motowerk peg lowering blocks on my new bike and they seem to been working well for me. 6' 2" with a 33 1/2 inseam. Just put on 600 klms today and did not have a problem Did not even feel the urge to put the feet on the crash bar. Note that the highway pegs will not arrive until next week.

Have them shipped to a drop off point at the border. Ride over and pick them up. Quick. This 70 mile return run and $3 pick up fee makes the shipping costs pretty high, but I do not consider the trip a cost, but a fun time.

The install is very simple, Just do it.

Larry
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM

get em

get the speedy set and order a set of hyway peg mounts as well with the order. You'll save on freight and in case you didn't know, they come gift wrapped with a card to avoid duties when crossing the border into Canada so the only extra expense is the freight and exchange.... .. or at least mine did...lol

Last edited by scooter650; 06-13-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode