Does your radiator fan run? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does your radiator fan run?

When I get back from a ride on my 2008 Versys, if I turn off my bike the radiator fan doesn't run, even if the fan was running at idle before I turned off the bike. My buddy has a yamaha r1 and when he shuts his bike off, the fan will run if its hot.

Is this something the dealer should look at?
Does your versys radiator fan run after the key is removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM

I wondered the same thing when I first got the bike. But I've forgotten about it, until I read your post.

I like that the fan turns off with the key. That way the battery will not run down at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm sure mine also stops when the key is turned off and engine is stopped. I'd usually wait till the fan stops before turning it off though.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Another question about the rad:

I've only been able to ride my bike in the pouring rain so far. Whenever I stopped there was a lot of steam coming from the rad. One passerby thought my bike was on fire. I just thought it was because of rain hitting hot components of the bike. Do I have reason to be concerned? It might be a month before I get a chance to ride the bike again.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM

That's just the rainwater hitting the hot radiator and turning to steam. No problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Another question about the rad:

I've only been able to ride my bike in the pouring rain so far. Whenever I stopped there was a lot of steam coming from the rad. One passerby thought my bike was on fire. I just thought it was because of rain hitting hot components of the bike. Do I have reason to be concerned? It might be a month before I get a chance to ride the bike again.
Hmm, I've road in the rain quite a bit and never had steam coming from mine. I've had smoke after getting chain oil or motor oil on the exhaust, though.

As far as the OP, I do believe the fans are wired to turn off when the ignition is turned off, judging by the quick glance I gave to the wiring diagrams. There really isn't a need for them to run when the engine is off.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for the quick replies.

I've rode in the rain a couple times, and I've never noticed steam coming off my radiator
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM

Talking

I highly recommend some sort of Fenda extenda, not for the steam. But in our climate (I live in Redmond WA 9 months of the year), the middle third of the radiator gets clogged with road crap and when it eventually gets hot, bike could over heat.

I also recommend a good hugger in wet climates, the rear wheel will throw all sorts of crap over the electrical stuff back there. Some on the other Euro/World forum have reported regulator failures due to being covered in wet crud all the time.

I ride 3 months of the year in Palm Desert area, where its often over 100, fan will come on in slow traffic, you can feel it on your right knee. But as soon as you turn off bike-fans stops immediately. Hopefully you'll get a chance to experience this in the next few months

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Whats the difference if the fan runs or not?

The water pump is not turning when the motor's off, so all the fan does is cool the fluid in the radiator, not the motor.

I think it's common for Yamaha's to run on. I had a Yamaha Majesty a while back, did the same thing.

No biggie IMHO.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's just the rainwater hitting the hot radiator and turning to steam. No problem.
I agree. Even with the fender extender, the rain here in Oregon get's everywhere!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM

yes your fan turns off when your ignition is off... Buells also keep the fan going after you turn them off, I think it is better that way just to cool a super hot engine a little more after you stop but I guess it's not that big of deal... as for the steam, mine does it too, so I don't think it's that big of deal... tonight I noticed that there was steam coming off my headlight, it made me laugh...
anyway speaking of the rain, I don't know if it's just me but I think my idle was barley jumping after I rode quite awhile, I don't know if a little water got into the intake, but I put in some "HEET" with the gas and it seems to be doing fine in the wet now...
the rain is a nice change from snow and I think it's kinda fun to ride in... other then the roads are still coated with salt my bike looks horrible...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM

Rrrrring. Rrrrring.
Hello?
Uh, yes, this is Mr. Jones from the Motorcycle Information Council. Is your radiator fan running?
No, my bike's parked.
Oh. Well, what about your refrigerator. Is that running?
Why yes, it is.
Well, then, you better go catch it. [Insert laughter of 12 year olds.]

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in