Ever regretted not having an ABS ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ever regretted not having an ABS ?

Hello,

Just wondering if any of you regretted buying a versys without ABS...mine is a 2008 without ABS and while I invested a lot in farkeling I just realized that ABS, which cannot be added separately, should have been a key component in choosing a motorcycle....Now I doubt whether I made the right choice especially after watching test videos et ....any thoughts? or may be a reliable alternative to ABS so that I keep my lovely versys?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM

I've not regretted buying a bike without ABS yet...YET...Hopefully I never will.
I do wish my V had ABS though. The only time I really wish I had ABS is when riding in the rain. I'm pretty good at braking without it under ideal circumstances but not having ABS when the roads are wet or having to do some emergency braking in a turn is unsettling to me. I practice emergency braking but I don't do it on wet roads or while in curves because the risk of pushing that envelope feels too high for me, I don't feel like highsiding for the sake of practice.
I attended a BRCII class just yesterday just to bone up on skills and get a fresh perspective. There aren't any Vs in this area and it kind of drew a crowd. No one believed me that it didn't have ABS. the V and myself were braking better than the bikes with ABS because I've gotten pretty good at modulating the brakes, bringing them right up lockup and then backing off a bit. It made for some very short and predictable stops that seemed to amaze the instructors. If the parking lot had been wet, I would've been screwed because, to be honest, locking up the front end on a wet road scares the **** out of me.
So, I don't regret it now but if I ever need it, I will.
My next bike will probably have ABS
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM

I prefer ABS. My ST has it, my Versys doesn't. Oh, well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM

You will never regret that you did not choose ABS - until it's too late.
It is as simple as that.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM

I won't buy a bike without it now.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Wasn't available when I got mine but I wish I had it.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I agree w/ most of the posts - don't regret buying my Vs without having ABS, but I WISH I had been able to get it...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Been riding street bikes for 25 years. My skills and planning have kept me from needing ABS. I imagine it would be good insurance for the O-$hit moment, but I have had a few and did OK with my skills and practice without ABS.

Not a must for me, but given the option I would pay the premium if buying new, and take it or leave it if buying used.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Been riding street bikes for 25 years. My skills and planning have kept me from needing ABS. I imagine it would be good insurance for the O-$hit moment, but I have had a few and did OK with my skills and practice without ABS.

Not a must for me, but given the option I would pay the premium if buying new, and take it or leave it if buying used.
+1 (49 years)

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Within 5 years, it'll be available on all bikes, as an option if not standard equipment. BMW has already made it standard on every bike.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
When I am riding on chip and seal roads where there is a lot of loose chips at the road edge and the middle of the lane I wish I had ABS. I've locked the rear several times slowing for a corner, but am able to modulate quickly and not go down.

I have it on my Concours and Voyager and am glad I do because sliding on a bike that heavy would be harder to recover from.

Definitely don't need it on the KLX250S.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 PM

as mentioned before, it is something you don't think much about unless you need. I have ridden many years and consider myself a pretty good braker but I have had it kick in once on the 1000 at an intersection and it saved my a$$. What really is hard to understand is that they have it on the 650's in Europe so it is available.
I know it is all about cost but at least make it an option.

2013 Versys1000
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1 (49 years)
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Nice assessment ray h. I think getting ABS or not is a budget concern too. I bought a used bike and didn't want to pay the mark-up for ABS (and it didn't come in the bike year I bought). There will always be improvements in safety, but guys/gals have ridden for years without them. Heck, I think we'd all like the safety of a car with the freedom of a bike.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 PM

ABS cannot be dependable on all the time. Which means - don't take the bike to the limit thinking that the wheels won't lock at anytime. You can still skid off when the road is really wet or oil is there. If the handle is turned and hard braking is applied, the bike would still go down. The best way is still to build up your riding skills and be watchful of the road and traffic conditions.

Another factor is if you have several bikes and only one or two are ABS equipped, then you'll need to make a mental note which unit has to be easy on the gas/brakes. A better system would be those fly-by-wire throttle control coupled with ABS which also reduces engine speed when the wheels are spinning/slipping or in short = Traction Control (Launch control included)
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM

Prolly against the grain here but...

Nope, glad i don't have it...

Why?

Growing up offroad on dirt i'd rather know what my rear end will do if I lock it up than rely on the abs to kick on.

Cars? Sure, why not. Bike? No thanks.

For some people just not for me

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

it seems that the majority is for it....now if I put all the money it takes (as I'm planning to keep my V for very long time), what does it take to install it?
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Don't have ABS.
Don't want ABS.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750

Last edited by DK35vince; 05-27-2013 at 07:08 AM.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
ABS cannot be dependable on all the time. Which means - don't take the bike to the limit thinking that the wheels won't lock at anytime. You can still skid off when the road is really wet or oil is there. If the handle is turned and hard braking is applied, the bike would still go down. The best way is still to build up your riding skills and be watchful of the road and traffic conditions.

Another factor is if you have several bikes and only one or two are ABS equipped, then you'll need to make a mental note which unit has to be easy on the gas/brakes. A better system would be those fly-by-wire throttle control coupled with ABS which also reduces engine speed when the wheels are spinning/slipping or in short = Traction Control (Launch control included)
Have had a couple of friends become complacent relying on abs only to push it too hard and lose the bet. Technology can only help....I put my faith in training,practice, and awareness.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Have had a couple of friends become complacent relying on abs only to push it too hard and lose the bet. Technology can only help....I put my faith in training,practice, and awareness.
+1

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode