Headlight modulator - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Headlight modulator

After having an AT&T van pull out in front of me in an intersection(after watching me come towards him for 5 seconds) I've decided a headlight modulator is in order. I've looked at Signal Dynamics and they seem to be pretty easy to install. Any other ideas?

"Now if I wasn't Lesley Horwinkle I wouldn't be here, now would I?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM

I had one on my ZRX and some cars seemed to target fixate on it and a Illinois state Trooper stopped me once for it, I had to give him the legal code I had under my seat.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM

I have mixed feelings.

They annoy the hell out of me but that is what get ones attention. I would not want one behind me in traffic for any length of time. I do believe some motorists would think you were police and have read many accounts of people pulling over to let one by. With the stories of cops pulling bikes over because they do not know they are legal, my vote is NO.

I wear a super bright hi-vis jacket and I still have people pull out in front of me as you describe. I think the problem is more that we have more distractions than ever while in the car. Just yesterday I was rolling along in a 45 MPH area when a guy in a minivan turned right from a side street in front of me, although it was closer than I would have preferred, I was ready for him and there was no close call. He eventually made it up to 30 MPH and continued at 30 MPH for about a mile before I turned. Dude had a cell phone glued to his hand and ear the whole time.

With cell phones these days, many are checking their email, text messages, & facebook constantly.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 AM

I have good results (so far) with upgrading to the Osram Ralley 65watt bulb.

If I see that's not enough, I'll consider the modulator.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=28610

[color=gray] Versys 2008 Red. Ride safe!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM

The only problem I have with headlight modulators, flashing brake-lights and add on lighting to make it easier for drivers to see you is most drivers are stupid and will pull out in front of a firetruck, I know I was driving it, and how many get taken out by semi-trucks and trains yearly? So I think the chances of them see you because you add a light or to is low.

I'd rather learn to watch out for THEM than depend on them seeing ME. After all I have a vested interest in it. There's nothing wrong with adding these lights and modulators just DON'T bet your life on the drivers see you.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
..most drivers are stupid and will pull out in front of a firetruck, I know I was driving it,
I would not say most, but your statement takes me back about 12 years.. I used to volunteer for my local rescue squad. You are correct in that even with our sirens and lights that you can see a mile away going full bore, people still pulled out in front of me. More than once I sent a medic standing in the back flying towards the front of the cabin!

More often than the pulling out in front of me, they would just completely stop in the middle of the road. Instead of moving over to the right lane or pulling aside or even just keep going until they could pull aside, they would panic and just stop. But you already know this as well.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM
MTS

+1

Thats what I say! Use whatever you can, but some driver don't look one way and just pull out.

Its true they do not even look. I had a gal admit that to the cop after she totalled my suv. Not even a look!

Why????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I would not say most, but your statement takes me back about 12 years.. I used to volunteer for my local rescue squad. You are correct in that even with our sirens and lights that you can see a mile away going full bore, people still pulled out in front of me. More than once I sent a medic standing in the back flying towards the front of the cabin!

More often than the pulling out in front of me, they would just completely stop in the middle of the road. Instead of moving over to the right lane or pulling aside or even just keep going until they could pull aside, they would panic and just stop. But you already know this as well.
Oh I remember, the unit I was driving that day was brand new Pierce Arrow, on it's 3rd run. It cost us over $280,000 and I had 2 choices and a split second to decide to put it in the ditch. If I'd hit her she'd been dead along with some of my crew. It was a $18,000 bill to repair the engine. She was 2 1/2 times the limit.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 AM

I had one on my last bike, mxgeezer. Results were uncertain at best. Also,
combined with my Hi-Vis jacket, I may have appeared to be police, as a couple of people pulled over to let me pass.
I added two bright halogen lights low on my Versys' forks to add some visibility. It seems to do the trick. I rarely have people pulling out in front of me anymore, and they NEVER pull over.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtha View Post
I had one on my last bike, mxgeezer. Results were uncertain at best. Also,
combined with my Hi-Vis jacket, I may have appeared to be police, as a couple of people pulled over to let me pass.
I added two bright halogen lights low on my Versys' forks to add some visibility. It seems to do the trick. I rarely have people pulling out in front of me anymore, and they NEVER pull over.
do you have some photos of the fork lights? I want to do something like that to increase visibility
thx!

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM

I had a headlight modulator on my last bike (KLR650). I think it was a Signal Dynamics and was pretty easy to install.
Modulators are one of those things you just never know for sure if they work or not. I had the modulator on my bike for almost two years and no one pulled out in front of me, does that mean it worked or does it simply mean no one pulled out in front of me, I don't know. What I do know is that they are irritating, which as mentioned, could be a good thing, could be a bad thing. There could be five flys around you but you notice the one that keeps landing on your ear because that one is the most irritating, the down side is you really want to kill that fly.
My personal opinion, modulators do draw most people's attention to you because people are wired to look for flashing lights but don't depend on it to get everyone's attention (there are some people who wouldn't notice the space shuttle taxiing down the road), continue to use good riding techniques like using lane position, speed, having a way out, etc to get people to notice you.
I'm probably a minority but I think less of hi-vis clothing than most. 75% of car vs motorcycle accidents happen to the front of the bike (ie: people pulling out in front of you) and that's where hi-viz clothing and helmets are the least visible. You guys with hi-vis, sit on your bike and have someone take a picture of you from directly in front, I think you'll notice that not much of your jacket or helmet is visible from that angle, it may even be hard to tell what color it really is. So, while hi-vis is certainly not a bad thing, I don't think it can be considered to have a substantial effect in avoiding front end collisions.
That being said, the second most popular car vs motorcycle accident is to the rear. I think a hi-vis jacket and helmet do help alot in avoiding rearenders.

Last edited by ray h; 05-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
do you have some photos of the fork lights? I want to do something like that to increase visibility
thx!
Look here, chid: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=29850
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM

HID (Xenon) conversion and fork light - that's my definite recommendation.
Adjust the dip correctly and it will not annoy others, but the bright white head light will make you much more visible compared with stock. And in addition to that you have the fork lights.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM

And a Blaster-X rear light....
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 PM

I personally go for it all: I have CyclePort hi-viz kevlar jacket and kevlar pants, extra lights, and a head-light modulator. Here is a good article on head light modulators: http://www.gadgetjq.com/headlightmodulator.htm

I've used the Diamond Star modulator on both a 09 V and a 10 V. The Diamond Star works great, and is fairly easy to install.

I also assume no one can see me, I'm suspicious of every intersection, side street and driveway. But still try to have fun too.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 PM

I've had the signal dynamics modulator on my last two bikes. Before I put one on I had at least three cars pull out on me each year. Since then I've had one in the last seven years. As Ray h wrote, there's no guarantee that it was due to the modulator, but that's the only change I made. Putting it on was really easy. I bought one for my son's bike as soon as he got it.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM

I ride with my light on low beam. I toggle the passing beam switch if there is an issue.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
I ride with my light on low beam. I toggle the passing beam switch if there is an issue.
Be careful with that. Around here a flashed high beam is considered as "come on out"!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I think I'd rather annoy a few people than end up inside some blind fools backseat. The more I think about it, every time I've seen a modulated headlight coming in my direction I've taken notice. And is anyone really more afraid of annoying some blue hair or serial texter than dying? Not me. Has anyone ever heard of an annoyed driver running a bike off the road because his lights were modulated?

"Now if I wasn't Lesley Horwinkle I wouldn't be here, now would I?"
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I personally go for it all: I have CyclePort hi-viz kevlar jacket and kevlar pants, extra lights, and a head-light modulator. Here is a good article on head light modulators: http://www.gadgetjq.com/headlightmodulator.htm

I've used the Diamond Star modulator on both a 09 V and a 10 V. The Diamond Star works great, and is fairly easy to install.

I also assume no one can see me, I'm suspicious of every intersection, side street and driveway. But still try to have fun too.
Can I pm you for insight about CyclePort ?

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode