Ride on - Where to get it? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride on - Where to get it?

Have seen you guys mention "ride on" product to balance and seal a wheel. Where do you get it. I don't see it in my motorcycle catalogs. Does it seal and balance? thanks Will check at the few dealers we have to see if they have it.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM

Hi Deano,

http://www.ride-on.com/retail_store_locator.asp

Had ordered it. Probably 2 weeks to reach here.

Best Regards.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 AM

I ordered by calling their 800 number, if I remember their paypal wasn't working for me...? anyway I think I really like it, if you search old posts I got a nail in my brand new avon back tire... I didn't want to take it off to fix it so I figured I'd go this way and see what happened... well it did seal it and I pretty much has kept air pressure up but I constantly check it... I also remember getting ANOTHER nail but it was right before I put it away for the 4 weeks I stored it and so now I have put almost 1000 miles and I can't find it, but it still holds air, they however recommend pulling the debris out... owell, anyway I think I am pretty satisfied with it...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I just purchased two eight-ounce bottles on e-bay for $28.75 shipped.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
I ordered by calling their 800 number, if I remember their paypal wasn't working for me...? anyway I think I really like it, if you search old posts I got a nail in my brand new avon back tire... I didn't want to take it off to fix it so I figured I'd go this way and see what happened... well it did seal it and I pretty much has kept air pressure up but I constantly check it... I also remember getting ANOTHER nail but it was right before I put it away for the 4 weeks I stored it and so now I have put almost 1000 miles and I can't find it, but it still holds air, they however recommend pulling the debris out... owell, anyway I think I am pretty satisfied with it...

Avon tires come with road hazard warranty! Nail in tire=new tire with Avon. AFAIK, they are the only tire manufacturer to offer a warranty.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I never knew that about Avon tires. Have to check it out. Had a set on one bike and like them fine. I am just a little leary of putting any tire sealant in as it seems the tires don't last all that long and costs so much. In almost 40 years of rideing and touring the US i think i have only had maybe a couple nails in a tire and never a flat on the road. One i saw and never went down so made it to a dealer to fix it. I now carry a dynaplug as i saw it work on a friends bike on a trip. Just have the tire inflated and pulled the nail out and inserted the pointed brass tip plug and pull the tool back out. Wet the fiber on the plug with saliva or whatever before plugging and on our way. I also carry a co 2 inflater and a few cartridges if needed. Held for the rest of the tires life fine. I have used it on car tires on my work truck and never had a failure for the tires life. Ride on is kind of expesive for a motorcycle use of low tire life. Now on my atv where i don't ride much other than plowing or deer hunting i always ran slime in it but the tires lasted the life of the atv, 9 years so the cost is not that bad. Some of you that are off road and travel hazordus places it my be a good idea. My wife had a flat on her bike but it was a tube type and i seriously don't think ride on would have helped that situation. For our Versys it says 8 oz. in one and 9 oz in the other tire. that is 3 bottles so a little over 2 bottles each time we change a set of tires in about 5 K miles or so. Not that i am cheap but seems for me it might be expensive overkill. thanks for the info guys

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Deano, according to the dosage table, you only need 6 oz for a stock size front tire, so 2 8oz bottles will take care of a V.....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Ride-On Works!

I'm a believer. When I added Pirilli Scorpion tires, I also added Ride-On, based on comments from the forum. Shortly thereafter, I noticed the tire was leaking air between rides. Since I only ride every week or two, I've been adding air before the rides, but it held air during the ride np.

Since I'm planning a major tour of the major parks in Southern Utah next month, I decided to fix the tire. Low and behold, the tire was found to have a 1.5" nail in it. So, Ride-On has been doing it's job--not only saving me from a blowout, but keeping me going.

I definitely recommend Ride-On and will be using it from now on in every bike tire.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:13 PM

ordering mine today. I don't know how long it lasts, but even if I had to replace it each season, it's cheaper than having a flat on the road!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM

May want to also consider Amerseal from NAPA. The last gallon I bought worked out to be a little less expensive than Ride On. I am a firm believer in both products.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 PM

My friend used Ride On. We went for a ride, he drove over a nail, that crap flew out all over his bike and the tire went flat....right in front of a tire repair place! Ten minutes later we were on our way. The End
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM

well that sucks. I work in a sheet metal shop and have removed a bunch of screws that have penetrated the tire and have yet to have one go flat.

as the saying goes
YMMV

Ride em if ya got em!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM

I made the mistake of asking a tire dealer if they would add this product when they mounted my new tires. Holy crap, you would have thought I insulted him! He says "No way, that voids the manufactures warranty, causes your balance to be bad", and on and on. He said if I did add any, it would also be another $5 to clean up the wheel next time and valve stem. Either this stuff works and they are losing business in flat fixes, or it is really not a good idea. Since I already have it, I am going to try it in my tires, but will obviously have to do it myself. Just thought that was interesting, has anyone heard of this product voiding any warranties, such as the Avon Storm?

My Album:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Bull

My H.D. dealer never complained when they changed my first set of tires.

It washes off with water and a little rubbing with my bare hand.

A couple of links for you.

LINK1

LINK2

sorry about the location of the second one, Just substitute the tire where applicable. It was the first place I thought to give you a link to Mag/Foss

Ride em if ya got em!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks, that is good information. I am planning to add it tonight, it looks easy enough. One question, my kit came with 4 valve stem removers and tubes. Is that the norm?

My Album:
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 03:59 PM

I have never bought a KIT. I believe it comes one tube and one valve tool per bottle. I am now using a different product called Amerseal from NAPA. But I will swear by Ride ON.

insert normal disclaimer here
YMMV

Make sure you do not have your stem at 6:00. and when you get it in blow some air into the stem before putting the core valve back in.

Same thing when checking your psi. do not have the stem straight down or you may get a face full. DAMHIK

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

My Album:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Excuse my ignorance but how hard is it to remove the valve core to add the Ride-on product myself? What tool do I need? Is there a special process? I'd rather do it myself than take it to a dealer.

Take the long way home
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Excuse my ignorance but how hard is it to remove the valve core to add the Ride-on product myself? What tool do I need? Is there a special process? I'd rather do it myself than take it to a dealer.
It is so easy a caveman could do it! I did both wheels last night in 15 minutes and took it for a test ride. Couldn't feel any vibrations at all. The sealant is thicker than I expected, because I have used a product called No Tubes in my mountain bike that was runny. I took the advise given here and kept the stem higher than 6 oclock and no problems whatsoever. To answer your question, the valve core remover comes with the kit; for some odd reason they sent me 4. I bought direct form Ride On, paid 38 something, which is as good of a deal as ebay, since you get 3 8oz bottles and tubes/core remover. So, hope that puts you at ease, I was satisfied with the product. Whether it will save from flats, we'll see. I can tell you that my experience with No Tubes was that it works on nails, thorns, and things that stay stuck in the tire. If you get say, a sharp rock that punctures a decent size hole and doesn't stay in the tire, it will just spray out the sealant. Plugging the hole is still the best fix, but this product should get you home to do that, in most cases I believe.

My Album:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM

I put Ride-On in when I got new tires for my trip to Colorado last year--primarily because the Versys doesn't have a center stand to deal with plugging a flat. I had no trouble whatsoever, but my riding partner picked up a drywall nail in her Metzler tire, and nobody nowhere could plug the damn thing. She had to get a new one. (Apparently, they are so thick & wiry that they can't be reamed successfully.)

To make a short story long, I was at the Cleveland MC show this year, and bought this gadget for plugging any tubeless tire--the guy said it will even plug a Metzler if you work at it long enough--without needing a center stand. I probably won't get Ride-On for my next set, just keep this handy: http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode