Chain Cleaning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Cleaning

Read the post on WD-40 but was curious what method or process everyone uses to do the actual cleaning and lubing of the chain. I think I'm going to order one of those Grunge brushes. Thanks guys.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just spray WD40 and wipe with a rag. Every 500 miles. or after riding in the wet. Then apply chain lube of you choice. Best to lube the chain when warm
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Grunge-Brush-Chain/dp/B000BS02LS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369005882&sr=8-4&keywords=chain+lube+motorcycle
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Motorcycle-Degreaser-Net-M00110101/dp/B003OBM5EQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_5
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Lubricant-CS0110101/dp/B003OBP63S/ref=pd_sim_auto_1
I use the above products.

Last edited by King.Versys; 05-19-2013 at 06:38 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 PM

Garage
cyclegear has the brushes on sale for $7 or 3 for $13...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Grunge Brush and a spray bottle with simple green works great. Don't forget to lube it after it dries...easy to forget.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 AM

Pls read post #21 here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=27794&page=2

Go easy with WD40! Brush is definitely OK, though.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM

I bought the Grunge Brush and was disappointed. The bristles for the brush are made of a pretty hard plastic. Way harder than you need if you are cleaning and lubing your chain as often as you should be. As others have posted, a soft rag does a great job after the degreaser of your choice. Your going to want to use a soft rag after the Grunge Brush anyway, so you might as well just eliminate an unnecessary step.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Stupid question about using a rag to wipe off the chain. Would paper towels work? I would hate or ruin, or get all nasty a rag every time I clean my chain. I bought the grunge brush, cleaner and lube at my local cycle gear, but I might try to WD 40 trick when I run out of cleaner. I think the brush is kind of a waste. Don't think it cleans all that well
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I just spray WD40 and wipe with a rag. Every 500 miles. or after riding in the wet. Then apply chain lube of you choice. Best to lube the chain when warm
Me TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I bought the Grunge Brush and was disappointed. The bristles for the brush are made of a pretty hard plastic. Way harder than you need if you are cleaning and lubing your chain as often as you should be. As others have posted, a soft rag does a great job after the degreaser of your choice. Your going to want to use a soft rag after the Grunge Brush anyway, so you might as well just eliminate an unnecessary step.
Threw my "Grunge Brush" away for the same reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Stupid question about using a rag to wipe off the chain. Would paper towels work? I would hate or ruin, or get all nasty a rag every time I clean my chain. I bought the grunge brush, cleaner and lube at my local cycle gear, but I might try to WD 40 trick when I run out of cleaner. I think the brush is kind of a waste. Don't think it cleans all that well
I think paper towels will 'disintegrate' PDQ. I use a rag, and re-use it till it's REALLY grungy.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM

I find the grunge brush or similar works well on a dry chain to get rid of the grit and crud. Then wet the chain with cleaner/WD40 and switch to a rag.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM

I have used maxima chain cleaner/wax and found it junked up and got dirty to fast

I have used wd40 and it worked pretty good.

Currently i'm using diluted simple green 30:1 to clean and then 75w90 gear oil to lube. I always lube after it rains on the bike. I find gear oil stays on the rollers, doesn't get gunked up, it seems to make the chain cleaner over time from flinging off any dirt. I do however lube AT LEAST once per week.

I haven't been using my grunge brush since I snapped the last one in have but after running gear oil for a month or so it doesn't appear to have any grunge to brush off.

I think in the future I will try to brush the gear oil in with a tooth brush or something similar. I have drips from over oiling.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Your suppose to clean them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
I use lint free paint rags, buy the dozen cheap at Home Depot. Work great and NO lint or bits come off on the chain. Even heavy shop paper towels would be chewed up fast by the chain.

Lots of WD-40 and wiping to clean, Bel-Ray to lube.

Always trust your cape.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Using a rag to wipe away excess oil. Using the scottoiler with gear 80W-90 oil.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I buy a pack of white rags at the store for this, cost a couple of bucks for 6 of them. Paper towels make a huge mess as they fall apart and the nice blue one cost more the the white rags.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM

I cut up old tee shirts for rags, we always seem to have enough of those on hand. They are pretty much lint free since they've been washed and worn so many times. You can buy them at the thrift store for 99 cents each, makes quite a few rags. Yes, I'm cheap!

Same process as many others: WD to clean, if I've been in mud/dirt I use the grunge brush for the heavy stuff, then a rag. Then lube, wiping off the excess if I don't get the whole spin/spray ratio quite right, which is about every time.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 AM

I think the brush cleaning may have prematurely ruined chains for me, pushing dirt into the O/X-ring seals.

I got 18k miles from current chain, commuting rain or shine, and it's outside all day when I'm at the office. Again rain or shine. Though the last year wasn't too wet. Never manually cleaned or lubed the chain at all. I did use an automatic chain oiler though.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I use lint free paint rags, buy the dozen cheap at Home Depot. Work great and NO lint or bits come off on the chain.
+1. These rags work great.

For cleaning, I tend to just use the Maxima Chain Wax. Put a little bit on, wipe with a rag to get the dirt off, then apply a light coat of wax. If there's chunks stuck on the chain for some reason, I'll use the Grunge brush prior to wiping with the rag.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Blue paper shop towels and WD40 to clean then lube with chain lube.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode