R1 shock questions. Source for seals? '06 vs '07 shock?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
R1 shock questions. Source for seals? '06 vs '07 shock??

My '07 R1 shock needs a rebuild. My local suspension shop doesn't know where to get seals for it. Do you know a source?

Alternately I can pick up an '06 R1 shock. I'm sure I've read about someone using one of those on a Versys. What are the differences between that and the '07-08 shock? Are the bushing and bearing ends the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM

racetech will sell you the whole seal head. $50
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM

I used the Racetech seal head assembly on my R1 shock. The Racetech seal head is longer which when used with the stock inner spacer will cause the shock to top out earlier and shorten the eye to eye length. I made a thinner spacer to get the length back. Just something to be aware of.

I still have the stock R1 seal head and was thinking of contacting Racetech to see if they could just rebuild it with new seals and bushing. Then I'd have a spare.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Good info, thanks!

I bought the 06 shock. It seems about the same as the 07-08, except when installed the compression damping controls face left. I used a u-joint socket to adjust the high speed compression damping on the 07, so it may actually be easier to adjust the 06 with common tools.

Retro Rocketeer, you replaced the seal head at home? Special tools required? How did you pressurize the shock?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

If anyone cares the '06 shock doesn't have high-speed compression damping adjustment.

Seems to fit fine. Looked like the reservoir would go into the cutout I made for the 07 shock, but I didn't verify by mounting it without the spring and compressing the suspension.

The way I tried it to start out with, it's much better than stock, but not as plush as the 07 shock with rebound and low-speed compression set fairly high, and high speed compression set low. Maybe I can lower the compression damping setting a little and get a good, controlled ride.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM

I don't have a way to charge the res. with nitro. That I take to my local shop. The only special tool would be the hypodermic needle I use to bleed the nitro out of the bladder before disassembly. The rest comes apart by removing circlips. I built a special bottle I use for bleeding the shock when its reassembled. I find shocks to be easier than many cartridge forks nowadays. Its not that difficult to do them at home. Of course I can say that after having done many shocks and forks in my lifetime. If you've never done them, the greatest risk you likely face is damaging the new seal head. They don't go on as easily as fork seals.

Last edited by Retro Rocketeer; 05-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode