LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS hardwiring

I am looking to hardwire my GPS.
Looking at this cable

http://www.meritline.com/gps-hardwir...--p-26011.aspx

What do you guys think of it?
Also apparently the converter draws a little energy even when disconnected from the GPS unit so I wanted to know how could I connect it to something that's turned off when not using the bike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I "hardwired" mine by tapping into one of the daytime running lights alongside the headlights. (Soldered connection, of course.) These are only 'hot' when the ignition is ON, so you should have no worries about running down your battery.
Cheers,
Ed
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Assuming it fits your GPS model, I think it would work just fine. As far as getting it to connected to switch off with the ignition, there are two options:

* Wire it to an existing switched lead, such as your headlight, taillight, etc.
* Wire it to an aftermarket relay.

I would recommend the later but the first is easier (and cheaper). The website doesn't give the current it draws, but it probably isn't that much (<1Amp I would guess) so it's probably reasonably safe to just wire it up with your headlight or DRL.

The better way would be to get a switched fuse block like the FZ-1 or AP-1 (or AP-2). There are other fuse blocks out there, too. You can also just run to an auto parts store and buy a 30Amp DC relay and an inline fuse holder.

A good soldering iron, some heat shrink, additional wire, a few connectors here and there, and wire strippers/cutters will come in handy, too.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I "hardwired" mine by tapping into one of the daytime running lights alongside the headlights. (Soldered connection, of course.) These are only 'hot' when the ignition is ON, so you should have no worries about running down your battery.
Cheers,
Ed
I did just that, too. I did use a press-on connector (shame on me) and I know that is not the best way to do this, but I just could not bring myself to cut the stock wire just yet. I did tape it well to try to keep moisture out.

The plus to doing it this way, besides what has been said, is that the wire to the GPS is short (I ordered a special cable for my GPS that is made for hardwiring) and it is routed behind the fairing beside the tank where it is barely noticeable. Very clean. I used the Speedys mount and really liked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode