Bracket Manufacturing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bracket Manufacturing

I bought a set of Cortech panniers (the only soft bags I could find that would fit with the stock passenger handles in place). While the bags work fine, when loaded they slope inward toward the rear tire. What I'd like to do is have a simple bracket made that will provide some horizontal support to the panniers so they remain vertical when loaded. The bracket wouldn't be supporting the weight load (the seat does that), so I don't imagine it would need to be very beefy. Since the rear reflectors are covered by the panniers, their bolt point seems like a likely mounting spot.

I called a local metal fab shop and they wanted several hundred dollars just to talk to me (I mentioned it might amount to two bends in a piece of scrap but they didn't really care). I don't have a brake or whatever it is that metalworkers use to fabricate stuff like this, so does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate such a support that doesn't cost $200?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 PM

I might build myself some brackets with electrical Metallic tubing (EMT) and a manual bender (rented or borrowed).

However... I have access to a break and almost all metal working equipment so I might also bring it to the shop as a personal project.

The EMT tubing is interesting because I feel that the result will look nice on my bike.

I have a friend that used steel square (0.250x0.250) on his KTM bike . The steel square can be bended with a vise and can be spot welded.

Good luck on your project. I will try to post some pictures of my brackets when I am done.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM

+1 on the EMT conduit idea. 1/2" is very easy to work with and would be plenty strong for your purpose. I've actually made racks with this stuff that bear the weight of hard bags and it's worked just fine. Also very cheap to work with. I think a 10' length will cost you less than $4. You bend the stuff the way you want and then flatten the ends with a vice or hammer, then drill the hole through it. If you have a wire welder you can then seal the ends so water can't get inside, but you could also use some epoxy or whatever. Here's some pics to give you an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010050 (2).JPG (37.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1010069 (2).JPG (70.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg P1010055 (2).JPG (81.2 KB, 104 views)

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM

yea, EMT is super easy to work...and if you need a tighter bend, you can use a hickey, or just work the bend tighter with the std. bender. I think it's .052 wall thickness. Weld it; it doesn't braze that easy due to the zince coating. home depot also sells smaller dia. tubing, but you'll have to make plywood mandrels to bend it nicely.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 AM

I found this page that might interest you:

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/page2.html

Warning is a Wee but is should do the trick for your unit

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:24 PM

You can easily make this yourself with minimal tools. I had the same problem as you with the Cortech saddle bags on my ZX6R. I had a small piece of steel bracketing laying around in my garage that I used. You can find a similiar piece of steel rebar/bracket material at lowes, home depot or ace hardware. I cut the piece to the proper length, bent it into the correct form and drilled holes in the end to attach to the bags. Took me 10 minutes at the most. I don't have the bags or the bracket any more (sold them) so these are the only pics I could find which you can see the bracket:

You can see the bracket on the inside of the bags.

Last edited by Xo0oM; 03-22-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode