What size impact socket for countershaft removal???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What size impact socket for countershaft removal????

Sorry, but I didn't find this info in the other threads I looked into. My 24mm deep won't quite get squeeze onto the nut, so is it a 26mm or other? Figures my set only runs to the 24, and we know how INEXPENSIVEit is to go out and buy a single socket......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
27 mm... 1-1/16" (26.9875 mm) fits a bit more snuggly.

Last edited by invader; 07-29-2014 at 04:57 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you kindly!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Also get a 6 point socket 27 mm, a 12 point will slip.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Did you get it off with an impact wrench, or regular old breaker bar?

Many on this board, including me had to use an impact wrench-and it had to be cranked up!!

I put a 16tooth on about 9 months ago and its a great addition. Even two up with luggage and up in the Colorado Mts, has plenty of power.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM

No, I refuse to subject the output shaft and tranny components to the impact wrench's torsional shock... I carefully blocked the rear wheel in the swingarm with padded 2x3 length of wood, and easily loosened it with a breaker bar.

inKLEment, don't forget to flatten out the bended washer that's over the edge of the nut. Nut is tightened to 92 ft·lb.

Last edited by invader; 03-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I flattened the washer out and then used an impact on the advice of a friend "who knows best" and spun it off fairly easily (had to use about 105-110 psi). My buddy convinced me that several sharp, short impacts are less stress than subjecting the trans/countershaft to an extended breaker bar ordeal. And the debate continues...

I slipped the new sprocket on, torqued to 90-92#, flattened the washer, adjusted and lubed the chain, and did some riding. I really don't notice any difference in accel, but definitely a little more relaxed at 70 mph; and I'm taking for granted that it's closer to a true 70 now running about 5k. There's a little howl about 40-42 mph and again around 50 (my dealer only had an undamped version), but I had to stick my head behind the screen to discern it. It isn't bothersome to me since I wear plugs (ears, not hair), just maybe some cagers might notice it. Me happy with it!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM

When using a breaker bar, securing the sprocket right by the nut through the drive chain with the rear wheel properly blocked in the swingarm (rear brake as recommended in repair manual is not strong enough), isolates tranny from any stress. An impact wrench delivers very high peak torque successive hammering impacts to tranny and engine components... If you must use it, leave tranny in neutral, have someone firmly apply rear brake, preload the socket counterclockwise to take up chain slack and let it bang away... Countershaft sprocket nut still has to be torqued back on properly with a torque wrench by blocking the rear wheel.

Last edited by invader; 03-12-2009 at 12:10 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Changed my chain and sprockets a few weeks ago.

I learned the first time that the front nut would NOT come off with a breaker bar, so I had the shop do it. Meantime, I bought a impact wrench.

So now it's time again to change the front sprocket but the impact wrench won't take off the nut. I'm ticked. I leave the bike in neutral, have my wife stand on the rear brake, use and 2 foot long breaker and the rear wheel still finds a way to rotate.

Then I put a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 piece of wood thru the wheel spoke that rested against the swing arm top so the wheel could not rotate. The breaker bar snapped the wood in two.

Stupid me, I then thought of cranking up the pressure on the compressor and used the impact wrench again, the bike was in neutral and no one on the rear brake, and the nut came off easily.

Viva the impact wrench. Screw breaker bars.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 AM

LOL! Your piece of wood was too small... Well, it's certainly easier with an impact wrench. Did you re-torque it to 92 ft-lb?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
LOL! Your piece of wood was too small... Well, it's certainly easier with an impact wrench. Did you re-torque it to 92 ft-lb?
Kinda-sorta. My torque wrench only goes to 80 lb fts, so I went to that torque and then gave it an extra pull beyond that. That's close enough for me. Plus, that nut has a "lock washer".

Not only was my piece of wood too small, I only weigh 137 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode