Mirror vibration - caulk solution - it WORKS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirror vibration - caulk solution - it WORKS

I read somewhere here about inverting the mirrors and squeezing caulk through the drip hole (?) to offset the vibration induced blur in the mirrors. It's made a world of difference in my case - the left side is now almost always clear where it used to useless from the moment the bike was started. The right side IS clear idle to upperband, and I've also noticed less tingling in the bars. I managed to get about 1/3 of a tube of caulk into each side before it started emerging around the glass; I figure about 1/2-1# per side was added. Hate adding weight, but in this case it was a blessing!Only drawback I can see is that if any water enters through the frame it has nowhere to go, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing but a solid core inside now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Sounds like a great idea. My mirrors vibrate at certain RPMs but not enough to say I can't see with them.

I stuck on those 2" diameter blind spot mirrors that really helped my overall view but I didn't like how they took away so much space from the regular mirrors. So I took them off, screwed some brackets into the upper mirrors and put the blind spot mirrors on top of the mirrors. Now I have the best of both worlds, plus it added a bit of weight to the mirrors.

I'm a big believer in blind spot mirrors.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 AM

can you say what "caulk" is exactely tried to translate but came up blank is it a liquid or like small lead beads???

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Caulk is the stuff you can put round the side of your bath tub, to stop water getting into the cracks-or between bath tiles. It squeezes out like a toothpaste-not beads.

If you get a silicon based caulk-its more expensive, but it never goes hard. In most cases if you warm the tube by placing it in warm water it will flow better. Comes in a cylinder or like large toothpaste tube. I'm going to give it a try-thanks for the suggestion.

PLUS 1 on the bubble mirrors, I have them one every vehicle I own-can't drive without them.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machog; 03-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM

If you like round blind spot mirrors, NAPA auto parts stores sell small rectangular mirrors that serve the same purpose, don't distort so much, and don't take up as much real estate on your mirror. They're slightly canted...put the high side inboard, the low side outboard. Part Number 730-2697, about $3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

For those of you that have tried this, have you used silicon caulk?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it'll make a bit of a difference, but I used what I had on hand - DAP's acrylic latex w/silicon. It has a 35 year warranty, but you could up the ante to their elastomeric stuff w/a 50 year warranty if you plan on keeping your bike that long !!!! Just make sure and cover the entrance hole (I used a strip of duct tape) for a week or so to insure no dribbles.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks!!! I will give it a try.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM

good to hear it worked for you. I only filled the mirror up halfway, and the improvement was minimal, but I might as well fill the whole thing and see what happens.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM

I was in the constuction trade and trust me that you should but a very good silicon caulk and don't go by the 35 year warranty bull. The better the grade to pure silicon the more it will stay like rubber and not get hard as a rock. Don't buy the cheap stuff. Great idea Is what makes this site so good.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM

I have also heard of guys filling up there handlebars with caulk,prob works like a bar snake. Has anyone tried this yet?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM

It seems that I find myself adjusting my mirrors more often, especially on windy days and a lot of hwy riding. I put them where I want only to find in about an hour or so, I'm adjusting back to where I once had them.

Then I added a light bracket above the mirrors to add my blind spot mirrors so they don't block the main mirrors at all. That added a tiny bit of weight but also added more torque to the main mirror due to wind pressure.

Recently I positioned my mirrors just where I want them, put some hose clamps at the pivoting base and as I held it against the base of the mirrors, I tightened the hose clamps. Now the mirrors are firmly in their positions.

So those that are adding caulk, don't you find through vibration of the road that you are adjusting your mirrors more often?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00505.jpg (267.3 KB, 207 views)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 AM

I wonder if a zip tie would do the same thing instead of the hose clamp.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Personally, I haven't found myself readjusting my mirrors any more often after adding the caulk than before. I did snug up all of the nuts/fasteners involved with the mirrors and stalks when reassembling, so maybe that helped? We've had some pretty stiff winds here lately so the mirrors have gotten a decent chance to act up if they were gonna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode