Flat Plugged- Thoughts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flat Plugged- Thoughts?

Hello all- Just got out of work to find a lovely flat tire due to a sheetrock screw in my rear tire. Since I was far from my shop (and it cost $70 last time) I decided to use my Stop+Go flat repair kit (mushroom type plugs). It held psi just fine all the way home, and I've read pretty good things about the plugs. Just wondered if anyone had any input based on the position of the hole/plug. It seems about halfway between center and sidewall- but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Some pics, and thanks in advance:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by goat12; 05-08-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Trim that plug even with the tire and ride the crap out of it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Done and done. I'll keep an eye on the psi and see how it goes...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM

I agree with the trim and keep a CLOSE eye on it. I've had a couple plugged over the years and while most held until I replaced the tire I had two fail. One failed within 50 miles but it was a string type done at night on the side of the road. The other was a mushroom type and just would NOT hold air, a poor job at the shop.

I hate riding on a plugged tire and will pull it off and patch it from the inside if I plan to keep it on for long. A lot of shops won't even do that on a sport tire. I'm not rich by any means but would rather buy a new tire than take a chance on a plugged front tire.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I'm not rich by any means but would rather buy a new tire than take a chance on a plugged front tire.
+1

I personally would replace any damaged motorcycle tire. I have no problems riding a plug home but a new tire would be installed before the next ride.

My life is worth more than the cost of a new tire. I realize I could have a blowout by running over a piece of trash at anytime but I would hate to be eating ditch because a crack developed in the tire beginning where the plug was placed.

If it were a car tire, I would ride the plug. Just my $.02
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM

plug n play
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM

I used my Stop+Go Plug on a rear tire last July in Elmore City, OK and it got me 900+ miles home to Panama City, FL with no problems. Once home I replaced the rear tire just to be safe. My puncture was just right of the tire's centerline.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM

I guess the same guys who buy and then replace $800 ish helmets every 5 years are the same ones who replace the tire. I have not seen empirical data on either subject.

I'm no diplomat
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I agree, if this was a liter bike or larger maybe replace the tire but on a 650, run it..
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Garage
I plugged a hole in the same left of center position on my stock rear Dunlop at 9,700 kms. Only difference is my hole/plug was in the groove. I rode it until replacement for a further 3,500 kms with out a problem.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM

I have a Tourance in my shop that I ran for 5k after plugging it. Finally swapped it out for a new one before heading on a 9 day ride. No issues at all.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM
MTS

OK my .02.

I would look at the size of the whole and how I felt the plug worked.

Like stated its no joke on a motorcycle!

Oh and I don't know anyone who patches the inside of the tire. That to me is not advisable and a weak fix!

Good luck fellow riders, may your tires never go flat!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Rope plugs in the rear I'll ride until they start to leak. I don't trust mushroom plug as much. It's your bike and it's your judgement that matters here though. Can you remove the tire and patch it? Do you have a place that you trust that will do it for you?

FWIW I've had a tire ruined by a shop doing a sloppy patch job. After you have the tire off it's pretty easy to do it yourself.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Oh and I don't know anyone who patches the inside of the tire. That to me is not advisable and a weak fix!
The standard permanent repair for tubeless tires is to patch them on the inside.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 AM

Since you're looking to crowd source this judgement call, I too would plug that tire and continue to ride on it. On the other hand, if the puncture was in the sidewall, I don't think I would take the chance.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 AM

Yes, I would ride it. Wearing my made in 2006 Arai RX7-Cosair. I might even put WD-40 on the chain

I'm no diplomat
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

I mushroom-plugged a nail hole in the rear tire of my Versys two years ago, rode it about 3,000 miles before replacing front and rear tires before a long trip last year. Never leaked air. When the tire came off, I looked at the plug from the inside and it was bonded securely to the inside of the tire.

I mushroom-plugged a nail hole in the rear tire of my ST1300 last year. Put about 5,000 miles on it before replacing both tires last month. The back tire was pretty much toast at that point and the plug was hard to see from the outside. Once again, from the inside it was bonded solidly in place. My plug-skeptical friend tried to pry it loose from the inside of the old tire and couldn't even begin to make it move.

The one time I had problems with a mushroom plug was on a friend's ST1300 when the hole was jagged and located right at the shoulder. I plugged it once for him in my aunt's driveway and it held OK, until we got into twisties and the stress was too much. I plugged it again by the side of the road and it held OK but at this point we were on a mission to get him a new tire. When we got on the interstate it gave out and the damage was too great so neither a plug nor a gummy worm would hold. At that point we called a flatbed.

So a clean hole in a low-stress location has created zero issues for me with a Stop-n-Go mushroom plug. A scraggly hole in a bad location on a big heavy bike with a big heavy rider encountering stressful riding conditions create a combination that no plug could really handle.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Besides trimming it and watching tire pressure for leaks, I would add: check around where the plug is w/ water, watching for air-bubbles, REGULARLY.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM

tire patching has been found to be a new liability issue with lawyers

years ago we always plugged or patched and rode on

now....it seems that many shops WILL NOT even put a patch to it,
and a plug?......ha! liability, like it or hate it.

I had a good friend of mine, also a terrific mechanic, and very small SUZUKI Shop owner when asked to patch a tire, he stated, only on a dirt bike!
Road bikes, he never would.

Used to piss of customers to all hell, but when he explained that the damage is not the leak, or leaking air, but the damage is what you cannot see.
It is the bands or fiber cords, steel bead assemblys, etc that get just a little bit of damage.
He would say such as this, that particular is rated for xxx pounds, and xx psi, and cleared approved for xx miles per hour.
Now I was an engineer before this life, and I understand numbers, tolerances, extremes etc......but I will tell you this....that engineer that designed that tire CANNOT TELL YOU how much those numbers above are reduced by just 1 little cut or slit toany of those internal components........he cannot, and I cannot. Therefore, I will not patch or repair your tire because I will not put you back on the road THAT MAY BE an unsafe condition.

But, I will sell and mount you a new tire at 10% discount!
He had a few guys stomp out BECAUSE THEY KNEW BETTER, or so they thought.
But he also sold lots of tires, and also made lots of new customers.
He built a very nice SUZUKIDealership from scratch, non-existent.

Now, tell me this all.....WHAT IF your patched/plugged tire lets go, and lets go quickly.
And it tosses you and the wife/or daughter or girl friend.
And she gets JUST say, permanent road rash on her back, arms & legs, and her beautiful face........permanent, forever roadrash.

Not a serious injury, but permanent. And you get to tell her you took her riding on a tire that had been damaged, and that may have been unsafe.
But you had decided it was safe, you the tire expert, you the cheap skate.

Tires are cheap, we only have 2.....the risk, no matter who has done it, no matter how far you have gone, the risk is not worth the "what if" if it fails.

Shoot guys, who mounts up the latest 35" retreads on their jacked up 50K pickup?

why skimp on a lousy 150 buck rear tire????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode