Oil Leak at 450 miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil Leak at 450 miles

Hi everybody, I picked up my Versys about a month ago. It's an 2009 and only had 150 miles on. It had some signs of a drop, bent brake pedal, handlebars slightly askew. Nothing major. My husband noticed some oil around the crankcase bolts on the left hand side of the bike so he tightened up the bolts. This morning, there was a definite fresh oil stain on the garage floor underneath my bike. It appears to be leaking from that same spot again. The bike has about 450 miles as of today. Anybody experienced an oil leak like this so early on with the Versys? I plan on looking for a torque for those bolts in the manual and making sure they're torqued the right amount.

-Melissa

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R - Sold
2010 BMW F800ST
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM

Garage
Sounds like a gasket has dried out from lack of use. do you any photos of the leak area?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The most likely cause of oil leaks is a loose oil filter. Oil leaks are not a common issue on this model. As long as engine bolts have a moderate amount of torque on them they should not be the source of a leak if the gasket is doing it's job.

I would clean up the engine, check the oil filter tightness (don't over tighten), and then monitor. It's easier to see the root cause of an oil leak on a clean engine. If it does not fix the issue take it to the dealer as this should be a warranty issue. The engine bolts should not normally loosen up on their own.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 AM

I would be looking for a cracked case. Spray some carb cleaner and get it very clean then start watching for seepage. Might check the oil drain plug also.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbourg View Post
Hi everybody, I picked up my Versys about a month ago. It's an 2009 and only had 150 miles on. It had some signs of a drop, bent brake pedal, handlebars slightly askew. Nothing major. My husband noticed some oil around the crankcase bolts on the left hand side of the bike so he tightened up the bolts. This morning, there was a definite fresh oil stain on the garage floor underneath my bike. It appears to be leaking from that same spot again. The bike has about 450 miles as of today. Anybody experienced an oil leak like this so early on with the Versys? I plan on looking for a torque for those bolts in the manual and making sure they're torqued the right amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The most likely cause of oil leaks is a loose oil filter. Oil leaks are not a common issue on this model. As long as engine bolts have a moderate amount of torque on them they should not be the source of a leak if the gasket is doing it's job.

I would clean up the engine, check the oil filter tightness (don't over tighten), and then monitor. It's easier to see the root cause of an oil leak on a clean engine. If it does not fix the issue take it to the dealer as this should be a warranty issue. The engine bolts should not normally loosen up on their own.
I had an oil-leak on my '08 which took a LONG time to find, then fix. It was behind the water-pump on the RIGHT side, but while your bike's on its stand it COULD end up 'travelling' from that location to the LEFT side (didn't on mine, as it's ALWAYS on a rear stand). Here's a pic of where it was, and IF you need, I started a thread on the fix:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17509

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09124 copy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	21106  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM

That is about the mileage I had when my bike developed an oil leak on the left side.

Turned out to be leaking at the rubber seal where the wires run under the cover to the alternator. Had to pull the cover, clean surfaces and add a little more silcone sealant than the factory used. Took longer to find the leak than to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode