New Brake Pads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
New Brake Pads

Recently replaced my stock front brake pads with EBC HH pads ($100CDN) after 21,000km. Original pads were worn enough for the mechanic to fail them on my mandatory safety inspection. The new pads offer an improvement in braking feel and are easier to modulate the braking force. They are much less grabby on initial application and the relationship between lever pressure and braking force is much more linear. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by twowheels; 05-06-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I just replaced the stocks pads after 15,000 miles for vesrah brake pads and the differance is night and day. The mechanic gave me the old ones because they were in such good shape to use if needed. The old ones are going in the garbage. I try not to use my brakes much. I get alot of people that follow me through the canyons and twisties that comment that i hardly hit my brakes. I like to use throttle control as much as possible.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Recently replaced my stock front brake pads with EBC HH pads ($100CDN) after 21,000km. Original pads were worn enough for the mechanic to fail them on my mandatory safety inspection. The new pads offer an improvement in braking feel and are easier to modulate the braking force. They are much less grabby on initial application and the relationship between lever pressure and braking force is much more linear. Anyone else notice this?
I just bought EBC organic brake pads today. Hopefully I like them as much as both of you like new pads. I have 25000 miles on my stockers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I just replaced the stocks pads after 15,000 miles for vesrah brake pads and the differance is night and day.
I also replaced the crappy stock pads with Vesrah RJLs. Only I did it before I even had 100 miles on the bike. Put on steel braided lines, too. Made the brakes much better. Coming from sportbikes with the latest and greatest brakes, I couldn't stand the Versys' brakes. Now they're quite tolerable!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 PM

HondaGal, which braided lines did you get?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I also replaced the crappy stock pads with Vesrah RJLs. Only I did it before I even had 100 miles on the bike. Put on steel braided lines, too. Made the brakes much better. Coming from sportbikes with the latest and greatest brakes, I couldn't stand the Versys' brakes. Now they're quite tolerable!

Yep i put the Galpher SS Lines on last year. Made an improvement but the pads were a bigger improvement.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM

I may need to do this upgrade. I got on the brakes yesterday from about 60mph and felt like I was never going to stop. Was a disconcerting feeling...

Weljo.. got a link to what you bought? I did a quick google search but didn't turn up a version that went on the V.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 AM

Tried EBC HH but Versah is better. Try the Sintered Metal Pad one.
http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/brake.asp

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Hah... Good to hear about the obvious improvement with Vesrah pads... I had already put Vesrah pads on my new Versys for some reason, without ever trying the stock Tokico pads which are also HH but of a visibly very different compound.

Front Left: http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4169902.htm

Front Right: http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4177039.htm

(Rear): http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4169912.htm

Vesrah (Japan) Brake pad listing: http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/street_brake.asp
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Vesrah also has racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

I like my Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid as well, by the way.

http://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/77
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShaq View Post
HondaGal, which braided lines did you get?

Galfer. Two line setup, one line from the master to each caliper with no T-junction. I ordered from solomotoparts.com because they have the color selection available and I wanted black lines. I have a '13, but the lines and pads they list for the '08-'10 fit. So do the Pazzo levers, I put those on, too!

I also had a double banjo bolt laying around that has a bleeder on it. Very helpful to also be able to bleed at the MC as well as the calipers. I forget where I purchased it, it was many years ago, but they're probably still around somewhere.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Vesrah also has racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

I like my Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid as well, by the way.

http://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/77
Yes, I went with the RJLs. I got them from street and comp:
Right caliper http://www.streetandcomp.com/store/i...352RJL&eq=&Tp=

Left caliper http://www.streetandcomp.com/store/i...435RJL&eq=&Tp=

I've been using the RJLs for quite some time on my trackbike and have been happy with the performance, so I wanted the RJLs over Vesrah's other sintered pads.

The Motul DOT5.1 is good stuff. I put in the Motul 600RBF. Normally I don't use that in my street bikes, but the bottle was opened from doing the trackbike.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Galfer. Two line setup, one line from the master to each caliper with no T-junction. I ordered from solomotoparts.com because they have the color selection available and I wanted black lines. I have a '13, but the lines and pads they list for the '08-'10 fit. So do the Pazzo levers, I put those on, too!

I also had a double banjo bolt laying around that has a bleeder on it. Very helpful to also be able to bleed at the MC as well as the calipers. I forget where I purchased it, it was many years ago, but they're probably still around somewhere.
I have the black Galfer lines also (two line setup, no cross-line or "T"), and am very satisfied with them....love the ample "wave" in the rear line as well...got them from podiumsuperbikeinc on eBay. Pads are next.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Tweaking the front suspension also seemed to help braking, and handling too. I'm 190lb with gear and increased damping to 1.5 turns from max and preload to 6 turns from max. Still experimenting with this but the slight increase helped reduce front dive and front/rear pogoing while braking.

I did this on the advice of my shop after I mentioned how fast my front tires were wearing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I may need to do this upgrade. I got on the brakes yesterday from about 60mph and felt like I was never going to stop. Was a disconcerting feeling...

Weljo.. got a link to what you bought? I did a quick google search but didn't turn up a version that went on the V.

Heres the pads i got...http://www.oemcycle.com/Cart?rnd=1367947170

Galpher SS Brake lines i got from a seller on ebay but i didn't see them listed today

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Thanks HondaGal
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Tweaking the front suspension also seemed to help braking, and handling too. I'm 190lb with gear and increased damping to 1.5 turns from max and preload to 6 turns from max. Still experimenting with this but the slight increase helped reduce front dive and front/rear pogoing while braking.

I did this on the advice of my shop after I mentioned how fast my front tires were wearing.
hey twowheels.....how did that suspension change go? Is it helping to control the bike and ride better?

prolly too early toget a tire reading unless you are racking up BIGTIME MILES

but a question on your previous tire wear; what were you running, and were they scalloping or just putting out uneven wear patterns?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode