wheel bearings and gas mileage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wheel bearings and gas mileage

I noticed my gas mileage was down this spring, and while changing my front tire I discovered that the wheel bearings were turning less than smoothly. Two new bearings later and the fuel economy is back to normal. Just a suggestion for anyone who is noticing poorer fuel economy, to have a look (and more importantly, a feel) at your wheel bearings. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Good to know!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Good point. I have to pull both wheels to get new meat mounted next weekend. I be sure to check them well.

I can well believe a bad bearing would drop your milage. The bags, tail trunk and tall windshield "Robbed" me of close to 5-7 mpg. But, What'ya gonna do?

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I reckon the bearings would have to be very tight to turn or even seized to have an affect on gas mileage.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Wheel bearing drag is in fact directly related to fuel efficiency and power transfer. Up to about 15% increased fuel consumption can be experienced without it being obvious that the bearings have developed extra drag.

Fuel efficient bearings: http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...Efficient.aspx
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 AM

Thanks....that's good to know!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Wheel bearing drag is in fact directly related to fuel efficiency and power transfer. Up to about 15% increased fuel consumption can be experienced without it being obvious that the bearings have developed extra drag.

Fuel efficient bearings: http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...Efficient.aspx
Do you happen to know what the proper bearings are for the V? I was thinking of getting new bearings but wiuld have just ordered oem's.

Also what is the average life span before replacing? I have 25k on my V. When I lift the wheels on race stands I have no play in the wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Do you happen to know what the proper bearings are for the V? I was thinking of getting new bearings but wiuld have just ordered oem's.

Also what is the average life span before replacing? I have 25k on my V. When I lift the wheels on race stands I have no play in the wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
A parts supplier like cheapcycleparts.com will be able to size them for you, but frankly they are so cheap that I get mine at my local shop - it's hard to get screwed on a $5 part.

Wheel bearings seem to be one of those things that get sourced from different suppliers, so there isn't really an "oem" part. I've tried "All Balls" and a different brand, they didn't seem to perform or last any different from one another.

The bearings would have to be really bad to notice play in the wheel, and would likely be making a racket by then. The best way to check is with your fingers, which means taking the wheel off. If they feel notchy or gritty when the inside race turns then they're due to be replaced. If you are careful removing the dust seals they can be re-used (they are actually more expensive than the bearings).

I check the bearings any time I have the front wheel off (usually for a tire change) and this is the third set of front wheel bearings I've put in at 85K kms. I've changed the back ones once. I've noticed the same phenomenon each time: increase in fuel consumption prior to the change.

Just one last thing: this would be a tough DIY job without a bearing puller. Harbour Freight probably sells a cheap one.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Front wheel bearings: 2 x 6004-2RS (C3) with rubber seal on both sides.
Rear wheel bearings: 2 x 6204-2RS (C3) with rubber seal on both sides, 1 x 6205-2RS (C3) with rubber seal on both sides.

Search bearing # (6004-2RS, etc): http://www.vxb.com/

Canada: http://www.bearingscanada.com/

Last edited by invader; 05-06-2013 at 08:22 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM

I spent $$$ on a set of World Wide ceramic bearings for my land speed bike and I can not believe the difference in just pushing the bike around.

I gotta agree. A set of old, worn-out bearings would make a difference in fuel mileage.

Good post Mt. Versuvius!
Dan
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
A parts supplier like cheapcycleparts.com will be able to size them for you, but frankly they are so cheap that I get mine at my local shop - it's hard to get screwed on a $5 part.

Wheel bearings seem to be one of those things that get sourced from different suppliers, so there isn't really an "oem" part. I've tried "All Balls" and a different brand, they didn't seem to perform or last any different from one another.

The bearings would have to be really bad to notice play in the wheel, and would likely be making a racket by then. The best way to check is with your fingers, which means taking the wheel off. If they feel notchy or gritty when the inside race turns then they're due to be replaced. If you are careful removing the dust seals they can be re-used (they are actually more expensive than the bearings).

I check the bearings any time I have the front wheel off (usually for a tire change) and this is the third set of front wheel bearings I've put in at 85K kms. I've changed the back ones once. I've noticed the same phenomenon each time: increase in fuel consumption prior to the change.

Just one last thing: this would be a tough DIY job without a bearing puller. Harbour Freight probably sells a cheap one.
This is what comes up for "All Balls" on cheap cycle parts for the V. It says that it is a wheel bearing kit. For $18 is that all of the bearings needed for the front and rear wheels? Seems to cheap to me to include everything... But I dont see anything else that could be added to it.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

That's about what I paid for the front wheel kit (All Balls) last year. The kit is the bearings plus the dust seals. I doubt if it would be for both wheels but who knows? Parts are a lot cheaper for you guys in the States.

Edit: With cheapcycleparts I find it's better to call and speak with someone, since I can't always find what I'm looking for on the website. They have been incredibly helpful and nice with me on the phone.

Last edited by Mt. Versuvius; 05-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
I spent $$$ on a set of World Wide ceramic bearings for my land speed bike and I can not believe the difference in just pushing the bike around.

I gotta agree. A set of old, worn-out bearings would make a difference in fuel mileage.

Good post Mt. Versuvius!
Dan
Thanks Dan.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Another thing to bear in mind when talking fuel efficiency - your chain. IF it's properly lubed you'll find it will spin through several rotations each time you spin it with your foot (the V on a rear stand, of course), and when the chain is dirty it WON'T, so the lubed chain will translate to better mileage.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Garage
Thanks for the answers Mt. V, and Invader. I called them up to ask questions about the needed parts, and was helped out. Unfortunately the email that was sent to me does not list the part #'s I am getting....

The parts that show up on the web sight is only 1 wheel. He looked up the proper parts in his books, and got me everything needed. Front cost $18, and rear $13. I also got brake pads for it as well while I was at it.

08' Versys
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 05:13 AM

can tyre weight effect fuel economy , I put a set of BRIDGESTONE BT 54's on as that was all I could get and now my fuel economy has dropped quite a bit
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom shamrock View Post
can tyre weight effect fuel economy , I put a set of BRIDGESTONE BT 54's on as that was all I could get and now my fuel economy has dropped quite a bit
I would say the type of tire and how it's made is more crucial. The weight should be very similar. But if its a softer rubber that grips more, you could lose some mpg, though grip the road better. If you're having any significant loss in economy, it may be some other means mechanically, or maybe you're just riding harder.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom shamrock View Post
It didn't suffer that much. You just got a taller and heavier rear tyre... Which sizes did you get? 150/70 rear?

Last edited by invader; 06-30-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode