canadian model versys in hot country? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
canadian model versys in hot country?

hello,

I just realized that my lovely versys dressed in her sexy red skirt is canadian!
now my question is what is the technical changes that kawasaki make for candian consumers? will it be affected if it is driven exclusively in hot weather? i.e for instance my cars conparative analysis will lead me to think that the thermostat will open late for the purpose of keeping the engine very warm...this may be an issue for hot weather..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 AM

The bikes are all the same, regardless of where they are sold and ridden. California models have an evaporative canister added. Kawasaki simply recommends different service intervals depending where the bike is being used. Bikes used in Canada require more frequent valve inspections, for example.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
hello,

I just realized that my lovely versys dressed in her sexy red skirt is canadian!
now my question is what is the technical changes that kawasaki make for candian consumers? will it be affected if it is driven exclusively in hot weather? i.e for instance my cars conparative analysis will lead me to think that the thermostat will open late for the purpose of keeping the engine very warm...this may be an issue for hot weather..

Canadian Vs UNDERSTAND French.... So, IF you're having a 'little' technical difficulty here, you CAN'T say "maudit..." under your breath, or your bike'll sulk!

Lours_Polaire will probably amplify this for you...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Canadian Vs UNDERSTAND French.... So, IF you're having a 'little' technical difficulty here, you CAN'T say "maudit..." under your breath, or your bike'll sulk!

Lours_Polaire will probably amplify this for you...!

si elle a un probleme je lui botte le cul et lui dirai "vas y avance ma cocotte"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The only difference between the 48 state model and the Canadian model is the stickers on the frame are in French and English vs English only.

I believe the difference for valve adjustment interval in the manual is for California bikes. Confusingly they abbreviate California as CA.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Ça d'vrais aller, sacré veinard ... L'ER6 a reçu le radiateur de 40mm plus large de la Versys qu'en 2009. Il se peut qu'il y ai un manque de refroidissement dans les chaleurs extrêmes avec un garde de radiateur qui a pour effet de reduire la circulation d'air. De la bonne huile synthétique aide. Certains utilisent de la W-50 (10W-50, 16W-50, 20W-50) dans de telles conditions.

FUCHS Silkolene COMP 4 RANGE
http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?c...duct&sub=ride#

Synthetic ester based 4-stroke engine oils, with Electrosyntec Technology, for all high performance motorcycles. Has an exceptional stay-in-grade formula that protects engines and transmissions and combats wear and friction on all critical load surfaces, even at high temperatures and during cold starts. Formulated to meet the needs of both air and water cooled 4-stroke engines.

COMP 4 15W-50 Heavier grade formulation designed to give excellent protection in higher ambient temperature conditions. Also offers very good 'stay-in-grade' performance and good corrosion resistance to give lasting protection, even during periods of intermittent use. Meets the needs of modern high performance engines, both with and without integral gearboxes.

IPONE Katana Full Power 10W50
http://www.ipone.fr/FR/lubrifiants-4temps,produits-4

Last edited by invader; 05-03-2013 at 11:39 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I believe the difference for valve adjustment interval in the manual is for California bikes. Confusingly they abbreviate California as CA.
This is not correct. CA refers to Canada. The Versys was available in Canada 2 years before it was sold in California. Not trying to be a dick about this but you'd be wise not to exceed the recommended valve inspection intervals specified for CA models if you live in Canada. Some would say don't even wait that long because many owners have found the valves to already be tight at the first inspection.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

so if I don't live in Canada the interval should be the regular one righr?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM

No matter where you happen to be on the planet, valve clearances should be checked as soon as possible. You can't know what your valve clearances settled at after initial assembly and break-in, and what you're running with until you check them... A lack of valve lash clearance reduces crucial heat transfer from the valve.

I already had an exhaust valve just under spec at 0.21mm at only 4600 km. I set them all in middle of range; 0.18mm inlet and 0.26mm exhaust. Now I can ride in peace until I check them again, maybe at about 30,000 km or so.

Last edited by invader; 05-04-2013 at 04:59 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 AM

Using Silkoline Pro 4 15w-50 which imo provides adequate engine protection in warm climates like Malaysia.

Intend to do a 1st valve clearance check during the next oil change (40K km).

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Yeah, even better from Silcolene's Race series.
http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?c...b=race#race_p7

Fully synthetic, ester based 4-stroke engine oil, with Electrosyntec Technology, for all high performance motorcycles. Ensures long-term performance retention and has exceptional stay-in-grade characteristics, even under race conditions. Ideal for all highly tuned, high output engine transmission units and especially for larger capacity engines (750cc and above). Race proven to provide exceptional anti-wear and anti-friction performance under all extremes of temperature. Contains advanced surface chemistry to provide vital protection to pistons and bores, cam lobes and bearings, even during the cold start period before full lubricant flow is achieved. Available in 10W-40 and 15W-50 viscosities.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 PM

Garage
Your french is rather good guys !

Even some tricky parts in "conjugaison" where avoided
I suspect that some of you were raised in an french speaking evironement !!!!

LOP
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Your french is rather good guys !

Even some tricky parts in "conjugaison" where avoided
I suspect that some of you were raised in an french speaking evironement !!!!

LOP
B'en sur, collin!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode