Chain Replacement - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Replacement

I have just over 10,000 miles on my Versys. I've finally figured out how to correctly adjust my chain and am confident it's adjusted properly (3rd time's a charm). The chain hits the top chain guide at a certain point (or two or three, perhaps) as the tire rotates. I hear a rubbing sound on each rotation. I also noticed that there is some lateral play of the chain on the rear sprocket. Is that typical?

I followed the service manual for inspecting chain wear and my measurements are not nearly as precise as they need to be to determine when it's out of spec. Spec is 317.5 - 318.2 mm and is out of spec at 319 mm. I don't have a tool that measures to that precision (at that distance), nor do I trust that my placement of my tape measure is so precise that I can be accurate to less than 1 mm. When I measured in three places I got 318, 319, 320 mm. Suggests I ought to replace the chain (and sprockets).

On the swing arm it says that a chain will last from 9000 to maybe 15000 miles (I don't remember exactly), so I'm in the range.

I'm thinking I'll be replacing my chain and sprockets soon. Can anyone else chime in with experience/expertise with chain wear?

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately I cannot give you an answer on this one, but I have the exact same question.
I tried to soak the chain in lube a couple of days ago, but i hasn't changed the grinding sound a bit. I have checked the front sprocket and it is a little worn, but the rear ditto seems pretty good still.
Edit: I have approx. 11 000 km on the clock.

Last edited by anders55; 05-02-2013 at 10:15 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I just took my bike in at 15,000 miles for Throttle Body Sync, Valve Adjustment Check,etc,etc. All were spot on and the chain and sprockets were good.

I use one of these......

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
...I'm thinking I'll be replacing my chain and sprockets soon. Can anyone else chime in with experience/expertise with chain wear?
I have an '08 in AZ that has about 43,000 miles on the ORIGINAL chain, and an '09 in Canada (BC) with 23,000 kms on the ORIGINAL chain. BOTH have ONLY been lubed and cleaned with WD40, and OFTEN!

The '08 had its front sprocket replaced (around 29,000 miles I seem to remember), and its rear sprocket removed and turned around last rear tire change (around 33,000 miles). When you adjust your chain, be SURE to tighten the axle and RECHECK the chain's slack, BEFORE you finish the job and re-install a cotter pin. My experience is that OFTEN-TIMES the chain tension INCREASES as you tighten the rear axle, and IF you ride it like that - your chain will become 'toast' VERY quickly!

Go to this site: http://www.watt-man.com/Information__Articles.html and scroll down to "The WD40 Experiment" under "Information, Articles".

I ride quite a bit of dirt (NOT single-track trails), so I KNOW you can get exceptional life from these items IF you take a modicum of care.

And I use the same chain alignment tool as weljo .

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Update: My bike had been surging a bit. Thought maybe it was a fuel pump issue. Took it into the shop and their first comment after putting it up on the stand was, "That chain is really loose." I told them I just adjusted it according to the manual, at the tightest spot, but that I noticed it was really loose at the loosest spot. They said that that is a sign of uneven wear and could be a cause for the surging...

They looked at the chain adjustment and confirmed my initial suspicion...chain needs replacing.

Next step...replace chain and sprockets. I'm actually looking forward to this, as now I can put on a 44T rear sprocket. After 11K miles and over a year of freeway commuting, I *still* look for 7th gear...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM

What's that tool, weljo2001?

I'm a 1981 grad of Arlington Heights High School, btw.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
What's that tool, weljo2001?

I'm a 1981 grad of Arlington Heights High School, btw.

Invader posted the link above...

1980 grad of North Side High School.....But dated Mary Ann Elms a 1980 grad and salutatorian of Arlington Heights.

She had a younger brother Frank Elms class of 81 or 82 i believe.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-25-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode