North Jersey preferred shop - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
North Jersey preferred shop

NJ riders: where do you service your Versys? I use Circle Cycle in North Bergen. Good service, although they are not Kawasaki certified, which does concern me a bit. How important do you think this certification/affiliation is?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If the mechanics are good, I wouldn't think it's that important. Can they do warranty work? That might be the only downfall should you need warranty work.

I use Rizzon's in Middlesex, bit of a drive for you, though. They are a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer, but I've also had them service my Honda. They'll work on most brands.
I actually do most of the basic maintenance myself...oil change, brake pads, brake bleeding, tire changes. The only thing I don't bother with is engine work....valve adjustments, plugs. The plugs probably would be doable, but I figure if they're in there for the valves, just do that while things are apart. Just got my Versys, so not sure how hard it is to get to the plugs, but on my 4-cylinder bikes it was a pain in the butt, and not worth it to me to do!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
HondaGalToo..Changing the plugs is simple with this..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2571

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShaq View Post
NJ riders: where do you service your Versys? I use Circle Cycle in North Bergen. Good service, although they are not Kawasaki certified, which does concern me a bit. How important do you think this certification/affiliation is?

I lived in North Jersey for 40 years...always hard to tell the dealers from the stealers...learned to avoid the Kawasaki shop in Pompton Plains...and also the multi-brand East Hanover Powersports...but sometimes circumstances force one to bite the bullet and decide on choosing a shop out of time availability or proximity.

I bought 3 bikes from Ledgewood Kawasaki over the years...a small service area there that simply did what needed to be done for the going rate...but never a disputed charge or procedure. The guy who owned it then, Don, may be long gone by now...but I thought he was fair.

Of course, the more you can do yourself the better it is.

I do not think the shop certification issue is that important. Finding a mechanic you can talk intelligently with and who focuses on your bike and your concerns are the goals rather than a patch on some anonymous guy's shirt, in my opinion. I've known lots of guys who are "certified" who really should be certified in the psychiatric sense.

Keep asking people and the responses you gather will reveal a pattern. Maybe check out the websites of some local riding clubs and see what they say...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post
I lived in North Jersey for 40 years...always hard to tell the dealers from the stealers...learned to avoid the Kawasaki shop in Pompton Plains...and also the multi-brand East Hanover Powersports...but sometimes circumstances force one to bite the bullet and decide choosing a shop out of time availability or proximity
Did you have a bad experience with Pompton Plains? I bought my V from them, experience was good. They were going to charge me $250 for the first service, pretty ridiculous, so I did it myself since I did it for my first bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Did you have a bad experience with Pompton Plains? I bought my V from them, experience was good. They were going to charge me $250 for the first service, pretty ridiculous, so I did it myself since I did it for my first bike.
Hello, ESE_VERSYS2013,

Yes, I did have a bad experience with Pompton Plains: made arrangements to leave my ZX-10 at the service door for a standard oil change shortly before they opened for the day (because of the schedule needs of the person giving me a ride home)...they claimed they found the bike in a pool of oil with the drain plug on the ground under the bike, with all the threads in the bottom pan stripped out!

None of those conditions existed as I left the bike. Didn't appreciate the "mystery" of it all and the additional costs involved.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank guys. Valuable input. I can do basic maintenance (which I would feel ok with a "non-certified" shop doing anyway), but when it comes to engine work, tuning etc, like HondaGal said, I'd leave it to the mechanic - in which case I wouldn't know how "different" the V would be from the generic motorcycle "any" mechanic could service. Years ago, I used to have a MotoGuzzi Lario, which a few good (but not MG certified) mechanics told me they wouldn't touch because it has complex service procedures.

And yes, I definitely feel better when I can talk with the mechanic (and not just the clerk at the front desk) about what I want done to the bike. That's one of the benefits of Circle Cycle. I'll check local riders clubs too. Good advice.

Thanks again.

Shaq

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post
Hello, ESE_VERSYS2013,

Yes, I did have a bad experience with Pompton Plains: made arrangements to leave my ZX-10 at the service door for a standard oil change shortly before they opened for the day (because of the schedule needs of the person giving me a ride home)...they claimed they found the bike in a pool of oil with the drain plug on the ground under the bike, with all the threads in the bottom pan stripped out!

None of those conditions existed as I left the bike. Didn't appreciate the "mystery" of it all and the additional costs involved.
That's funny because when I was still negotiating, part of the discussion was self-servicing the bike, and Gary the owner said that if I were to do it and the drain plug came off and resulted to some engine problem, the warranty would not cover the damage. Point being it's the DRAIN PLUG syndrome AGAIN... this came up a few times during the back and forth.

It's not a major concern for me because I do the maintenance, unless it's a major thing, then I guess I would be force to bring to them or look for another dealer, which would be further out south NJ or across the Hudson in NYC.

Thanks for your comments.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
That's funny because when I was still negotiating, part of the discussion was self-servicing the bike, and Gary the owner said that if I were to do it and the drain plug came off and resulted to some engine problem, the warranty would not cover the damage. Point being it's the DRAIN PLUG syndrome AGAIN... this came up a few times during the back and forth.

It's not a major concern for me because I do the maintenance, unless it's a major thing, then I guess I would be force to bring to them or look for another dealer, which would be further out south NJ or across the Hudson in NYC.

Thanks for your comments.
That's ironic...drain plugs for fun and profit...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode