GPS Wiring - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GPS Wiring

Can anyone recommend a wiring kit to power my gps? I plan on getting a mount from Moto Werk the GPS is a Garmin Nuvi. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 PM

try these folks. they have alot of stuf.
cyclegadgets.com
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 PM

http://www.cycoactive.com

CC

---------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 AM

take a trip to Radio Shack and pick up a power port (cig lighter). If you remove the left faring there is space next to the instrument cluster to mount it. Since the GPS units draw very little power I hooked the outlet up to the marker light circuit. Comes on with the key and is fused for protection. I would suggest that you hook nothing else up to it though.

If the snow ever melts I'll take a few photos and post them.

Cheers,
Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:05 AM

I paid quite a lot of money for decent car Nav system just before xmas, but have decided to visit france in August with a few fello bikers, so i have been looking to try and mount it on my versys somewhere and also try and waterproof it, after many searches I found just the thing

http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_3554.aspx
You can lock the box too

its much cheaper in the states than over here.

the motowerk bracket looks good but i think im going to make my own,
did you cathh this thread?

The original kawasaki one is quite reasonablely priced
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.as...Id=34047A96662

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2637

Last edited by pantsdavies; 02-26-2009 at 03:15 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 AM

one thing to bear in mind between Speedy's (Motowerk.com) GPS mount and the Kawasaki mount is that the Kawasaki comes predrilled according to the relevent ISO standard.. that fits the Zumi bracket, the ram mounts and so on.

Probably if you ask Speedy will drill it for you, but if you don't have the beginnings of a workshop or are crap at marking out and drilling accurately
you've then got to track down a workshop who will drill it out for you.

for the Nuvi you may need a waterproof case (I'd try otterbox). Steve1Rider on the versys.co.uk forum uses a nuvi inside (IIRC) a ram box.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 AM

Here is something you might entertain before you start wiring. This is how I set mine up.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=8941#post8941

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM

I would recommend hooking up a lighter socket for power! you can run it of the marker lights like someone was saying (if you only plan to power gps, and other low power electornics...) or if you want something a little more heavy duty you can go down to autozone/radioshack/other places... and get yourself a fusebox so you can wire up a few components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM

One can find model specific hardwire kits on Amazon. I found this for less than 20 bucks. Garmin Nuvi 250 right to the battery.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 PM

thats cool I'll have to check that out
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM

how about waterproof?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I soldered into the wire for one of the daytime running lights. That way the GPS is powered as soon as I turn on the key, so I can program without having to run the engine or the headlights.
Ed
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM

I run my GPS power directly to the battery through a 5A in line fuse located at the battery. A fuse block is the way to go if you plan on running other circuits but just for the GPS I would go this way. I like having the unit run off of the bike when I power down for gas and don't have to worry about restarting when I ride off. I haven't left it on yet but that might be an issue if you have those kind of problems.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Power to the People!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC650 View Post
I run my GPS power directly to the battery through a 5A in line fuse located at the battery. A fuse block is the way to go if you plan on running other circuits but just for the GPS I would go this way. I like having the unit run off of the bike when I power down for gas and don't have to worry about restarting when I ride off. I haven't left it on yet but that might be an issue if you have those kind of problems.
+1

Although my little el-cheapo Garmin is not
waterproof, a zip loc bag suffices nicely.
I also like to leave the GPS powered up
when I turn the key off to refuel, and to
recharge the internal battery after I arrive.

Although I intend to install a 12v. socket
(probably a waterproof one) into the bezel
beside the speedo, I prefer a dedicated
GPS power plug. I use a small rubber cap
to insulate the power plug when not in use.

I bought a simple five-fuse block at O-Reilly's
to install under the seat for multiple circuits.
It will feed off a 20 or 30A. breaker and
incorporate a Battery Tender pigtail for power
during maintenance and testing.

Unless you live in AZ or other dry, desert
areas, best to use NOALOX (professional)
or 'Bulb grease' on all connections. Solder,
heat shrink tubing and inexpensive split wire
loom can combine for a real professional job.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaChava View Post
+1
best to use NOALOX (professional)
or 'Bulb grease' on all connections.
I don't know about noalox, it's really for alum/copper wire joints. bulb grease...
you mean di-electric grease, yes? di-electric grease is the poor man's waterproofer

I did a hookup using an N coax jack and plug from radio shack...<$6. got me going, but it's not super snug...I may go to a powerlet plug unless I can find a better, smaller plug/jack.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM

I am surprised no-one has mentioned RAM mounts. I wouldn't use anything else and they are made in USA.
Ted99uk
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM

garmin nuvi has a potential problem in that it is not waterproof, So I think you would need to mount it in a waterproof enclosure (RAM do a box, it looks a bit chunky but seems to work. the touch screen interface still works (the box lid is translucent, flexible plastic)

you will probably need to power the Nuvi using a USB cable. Im riding with a guy on Sunday who has a nuvi in a RAM box, if you want I can ask him what he did

personally I donj't like alwasy on power.. to easy to get a cable wet and blow a fuse. I noticed that my Zumo mount started to corrode ont he power pins when I did a temporary lash up. its now on a switched relay, although I would agree wiring into the side lights is a smart idea.. the Zumo draws not a lot of power, and I suppose if you don't plan on using the phone/mp3 function it probably doesn't matter. I prefer to have my connections removable without trace (as best as possible), just in case the man from kawasaki seeks to blame after market electrics for problems with their wiring.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

I have fitted a small toggle-switch on the supply to my RAM gps mount to stop the corroding pin connectors that my friend also had on a Zumo Touratech mount. Not that I had the problem on my Quest mount but I also didn't want to keep the gps 5.8V power-supply powered up when not using the bike.
Ted.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 AM

The dealer wired mine straight to the battery and it worked fine, but when I added a Centech box I moved it to one of the connections that shutoff when the key was turned off and I like that much better. You don't want to have anything wired directly that could draw current from the battery without you knowing. I killed my battery that way...not fun!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
I don't know about noalox, it's really for alum/copper wire joints. bulb grease...
you mean di-electric grease, yes? di-electric grease is the poor man's waterproofer
+1 on dielectric grease. ( vaseline works in a pinch - but I'd recommend dielectric grease)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
I did a hookup using an N coax jack and plug from radio shack...<$6. got me going, but it's not super snug...I may go to a powerlet plug unless I can find a better, smaller plug/jack.
I used Deans Ultra connectors. High power (60A), solid, and small. Only problem is soldering them is a bit tricky. (Make DARN certain you don't solder the two connectors together.) That and some heat shrink and you get a very tidy connector. You can usually find them in local hobby stores or online hobby stores. http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode