Front brake pulse - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front brake pulse

I have about 6500 miles on my 08 and when I'm slowing down to a stop with the front brake the front pulses as the brakes seem to grab/release to the point that the shocks compress and rebound...this is with constant pressure on the brake. This only happens at slow speed. There is no pulse in the lever, the brake fluid level is fine, the caliper bolts are tight and the rotors appear clean. Suggestions on what to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Perhaaps a warped rotor or two?

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Clean and oil your disk bobbins. WD40 works well. That's usually the culprit.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Damn... Warped rotors are getting common on the Versys. Is yours still on warranty?

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=4153.0
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 PM

My brakes were pulsing at slow speed when I first picked up the bike. It had 10,000km on her, and I was worried about a warped disk... but after cleaning and lubing the bobbins, the pulsing stopped. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but warped rotors will pulse at any speed, and can scare the crap out of you at high speed. If the issue is only at low speeds, or as your coming to a stop, it is my understanding that more often than not it is your bobbins that have built up crap in them and need to be cleaned and lubed. The bobbins let the disk float on the hub, and if one or more of them are "frozen" or stiff, it is like the rotor is warped. Cleaning and lubing should correct the issue. If not, then look at the rotors themselves. It's the first place to look with pulsing brakes on floating disks.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great maintenance tip, Red Herring... Properly floating bobbins should result in less strain, hot spots and uneven rotor wear, as well as smoother, more efficient braking.

Last edited by invader; 02-21-2009 at 12:38 AM.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Red Herring and Invader, I cleaned the discs and bobbins this weekend and went riding and it did seem better. I may still have a stuck bobbin...I cleaned with brake cleaner and didn't use wd-40. I'll go back with a toothbrush and really work it. Mine sounds just like yours did Red Herring. This forum is great. Thanks again!
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Thank you Red Herring and Invader, I cleaned the discs and bobbins this weekend and went riding and it did seem better. I may still have a stuck bobbin...I cleaned with brake cleaner and didn't use wd-40. I'll go back with a toothbrush and really work it. Mine sounds just like yours did Red Herring. This forum is great. Thanks again!
Lube them as well. Spray some WD... even just a drop or two, should make the difference.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

The bobbins let the disk float on the hub, and if one or more of them are "frozen" or stiff, it is like the rotor is warped. Cleaning and lubing should correct the issue. If not, then look at the rotors themselves. It's the first place to look with pulsing brakes on floating disks.
great info RH, thanks; I have the same light pulsing at low speeds. Now, for those who have no idea what a "bobbin" is, could you point us in the right direction? What to do seems straightforward, now where to do it is not A more detailed explanation would be really appreciated...
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM

These are disk bobbins, I think they are also refered to as buttons, but I'm not sure.

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks RH,

checking those things is going to be the first thing my Versys will have done before the riding season starts here. Very timely this topic, I was very close to buy aftermarket rotors, but now I am inclining towards bobbins, since it's only at slow speeds (i.e., rolling to a light) when I can feel the pulsation. Live and learn, live and learn...
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 PM

You don't need to take them apart either. Just lube them where they are. Too simple.

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Hi Red Herring.

I just bought a 2007 Versys with 13000km on it and I love it. Only problem is that I'm having exactly the same low speed pulse that is talked about in this thread. (great discussion by all) I've taken your advice and lubed each of the bobbins in place but with no success. The bobbins on my rotors do not come apart with spring clips like the ones in your photos. They are put together like a large rivit. Can you offer any other advice on a fix before I lose it an go buy new rotors.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Lightly sand your disks and pads with 300 grit sand paper or steel wool. It might help. If your rotors are warped, they should pulse at all speeds.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM

RH, I just stumbled upon this thread. I've had exactly the same issue. I'll be spraying my bobbins ASAP.

BTW, I'm glad that allriding asked for clarification on what a bobbin was. That way I don't have to show my ignorance by letting on the I didn't know either. Don't tell anyone. It'll be our little secret.
Doh!

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks Red Herring. I don't think the rotors are warped. There is no pulsing at any other speed and I definitely know all about that after living with a chev malibu for a few years.

I'll try your suggestion. It can't hurt. I haven't had the wheels off yet but I found a great thread last night about how to take both off. It included pics every step of the way.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks RH for clarifying the bobbins and posting pics! Learn something new everyday, currently not experiencing any problems, but will PM the rotors tonight.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreds View Post
Thanks Red Herring. I don't think the rotors are warped. There is no pulsing at any other speed and I definitely know all about that after living with a chev malibu for a few years.

I'll try your suggestion. It can't hurt. I haven't had the wheels off yet but I found a great thread last night about how to take both off. It included pics every step of the way.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron
You don't need to take the wheels off.

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi,

I have my 09 Versys for a month and almost 1000 miles. My front brake has been pulsing on and off during slow stop.

From this trend, I learn that one the bobbins are lube, the pulsing should stop. How do you lube the bobbins exactly? Just spray WD-40? I am not sure because once the bobbins are lubed with WD-40 and you start riding the bike, wouldn't the access oil (the one you can not wipe clean, I am sure there will be some) be all over both the front rotors?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely be careful lubing them, but it is possible. And yes, I believe WD-40 will work...

Last edited by onewizard; 09-25-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode