Lube yer cables - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lube yer cables

I have just under 10K miles and was removing some handguards and decided that my throttle operation felt slightly less than ideal, so I lubed the throttle cables and clutch cable. I actually didn't realize how much they needed lubing until I lubed them. They felt great today! It felt like the bike ran better all around, just like it does after you wash it!

Seriously though, lube those cables for safe and smooth operation.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM

Any easy tutorial for quick access to the cables? I tried figuring out the clutch cable with no success. I'd really like to learn how to do this. I have Barkbuster hand guards, will they have to be off for this?

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM

i can detach the clutch cable all right but for the life of me i cant seem to be able to reach the throttle cable without opening up the housing. Or is that the only way?

Sykes, i do not have handguards So i dont know if it needed to be off or not, but to free the clutch cable, you have to turn the adjustment screw near the lever, all the way in. Make sure both the opening line on the screw and the retention ring aligned.This way, you allow all the slack in the cable for you to jiggle it around and pull it off the lever. Good luck.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Any easy tutorial for quick access to the cables? I tried figuring out the clutch cable with no success. I'd really like to learn how to do this. I have Barkbuster hand guards, will they have to be off for this?

No need to take off the hand guards. I going to make a video tomorrow on how i lube my clutch cable. It super easy and quick. I'll post it up then.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
No need to take off the hand guards. I going to make a video tomorrow on how i lube my clutch cable. It super easy and quick. I'll post it up then.
Awesome!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Awesome!

Yea my neighbors will think i'm crazy. I'll be doing it with my helmet on so i can use the camera mounted to it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 AM

They probably already know you're crazy anyways, so don't give it a second thought!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Throttle cables can be lubed from the bottom. Loosen the cables using the thumbwheel at the grip then using some needle nose pliers remove the cables from the throttle body assembly. Attach your cable lubing tool and keep pumping lube until you see some spray at the handgrip. Then do the other cable. It's a good time to check the condition of the cables when doing this, especially the barrel ends.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM
MTS

Quote:
Yea my neighbors will think i'm crazy. I'll be doing it with my helmet on so i can use the camera mounted to it.
Thank you Mr. Weljo! If your neighbor comes out film him! LOL

The lube from the factory on all the cables and hinges is a heavy solid lube. Not a liquid. I always wondered what is best so I use both.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Clutch cable is easy. I lube it every time I do the chain.

1.) Rotate the above adjustment nut so the notch that is cut into it is facing up.
2.) Put a towel or rag under this nut to catch any spillage.
3.) Put several drops of 3-in-1 oil into the channel while working the clutch.
4.) Work the clutch several times.
5.) That's it.

I anxiously await Weljo's video so I can do the same with my throttle cable.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Lol. Kinda want to see a video of people watching you shoot your video. For sh*ts and giggles you should do it in full kit and maybe sling a chainsaw over your shoulder.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Heres the video..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=26818

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
You might find that he owner's manual has some really nice suggestions on maintaining your motorcycle. Worth a read.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You might find that he owner's manual has some really nice suggestions on maintaining your motorcycle. Worth a read.
+1 (note to self...maybe worth it to read again for updated reminders)

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode