braided brake lines - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
braided brake lines

What type or brand of braided brake lines are good for the versys? Can they be ordered for specific models ie 650r or cut to length? I am new to modifying bikes and need some info. I feel my versys brakes would be a little stronger with the rubber lines changed out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM

I have had many bikes with many different brands of braided brake lines, and I think (with one exception) they're all of a muchness. You won't get stronger braking (physics and friction limit you there), but you will get MUCH better feedback from the lever and pedal, which is a pretty nice thing to have in the rain when you're trying not to lock the front wheel in a hard stop. My first two purchases with any new-to-me bike are braided brake lines and Pazzo levers (I just like the way they make the controls feel).

Anyway, you can get Versys-specific lines by Spiegler from superbikestore.net. They can supply you with lines that run from master cylinder to right caliper, then from right caliper over the fender to the left caliper as the stock ones do (my preference), or two lines from the master cylinder to each caliper individually. I like the Spiegler lines because you can adjust the angle of each fitting individually on the line (HEL and Galfer now have adjustable ones too), and because they are made in the USA.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towversys View Post
What type or brand of braided brake lines are good for the versys? Can they be ordered for specific models ie 650r or cut to length? I am new to modifying bikes and need some info. I feel my versys brakes would be a little stronger with the rubber lines changed out. Thanks
Check out http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/ They handle the goodridge lines and this is what i put on my V. They also Carry the Ferodo brake pads as well .
Phone and talk to Tony the owner and he will fix ya up . The 650 r kit is slightly shorter than that of the Versys . Blue streak is also a Canadian outfitwith free shipping to your door. With our Canadian Dollar in the toliet right now it will work to your advantage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. I realized i worded it wrong about stronger brakes but better feedback is good and less fade or give from braided is also what i want.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM

I had mine installed by the dealership before I bought the bike. I have 'Hell Brake kit" installed on mine and the feedback is superb. They manufacture a specific kit for the Versys.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:07 PM

All a bunch of hoooeee.
Just because a brake line has a rubber coating to reduce abrasion doesn't mean it is "rubber" all the way through. Virtually all brake lines have the same lining. Most perceived improvement is due to the fact that you have to bleed the brakes when you install the new "braided" lines. You probably could go out and bleed your brakes any time and have the same result without buying new brake lines.
Let the myths ride on....

Krazo - ride every day there's traction!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM

interesting...then why, when I squeeze the lever on the stock line, do I feel the line bulging, but not on the teflon lines????

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazo View Post
All a bunch of hoooeee.
Just because a brake line has a rubber coating to reduce abrasion doesn't mean it is "rubber" all the way through. Virtually all brake lines have the same lining. Most perceived improvement is due to the fact that you have to bleed the brakes when you install the new "braided" lines. You probably could go out and bleed your brakes any time and have the same result without buying new brake lines.
Let the myths ride on....

Last edited by tomla; 02-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Hooey (Gooey?)

The over covering of a braided line constricts the maximum expansion of the line. What would have caused bulging is instead translated as "feel" at the lever.
The braking ability is not increased but your ability to modulate the brakes and to detect the point of lockup is increased...

That my friends is no myth...
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 AM

SS lines = feel at the lever.
Aftermarket pads = better braking (shorter stops)
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM

http://www.helusa.com/store/product_...oducts_id=4161

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM

This is all my opinion from my years of road racing so take it or leave it. For the most part its all been proven to work out at least for me and the bikes I've raced. Mostly jap bikes but I did a year on a Ducati and if your talking about the rear brake and I assume you are they have a rear brake set up that will lock up a Mac truck.

Because the rear brake line is so short, any benefit from a stainless braid line is minimal. It is an improvement, but not much. Rear brakes are
intentionally made weak because 99% of the braking force is the front. At max braking, the rear is barely touching the ground and therefore is only
able to contribute a little. If skill level of the rider is on the high scale then the rear wheel may not even be on the ground. If they made it more powerful, people riding the street would be locking it up all the time.

If you went with a slightly smaller master cylinder, your travel would increase but the braking power would too. A larger master would reduce the
travel but require more effort. Think of a plank trying to lift something. The question here is are the rotor, pad and swept area adequate and is the weak link the master? Braking power is also affected by caliper rigidity (much more so than brake line type), pad material, amount of swept area (size of the pads) and rotor diameter. Smaller rotor covers less distance and therefore need more power to slow it, this is why the front rotors are large, back are small.

In most cases when I had issues of weak breaks or break fade the master cylinder was the ticket.

What change will solve weak rear brakes on the versys? Good question. Unfortunately, unless someone else has 'done the fix', you get to be the first and
experiment. If you hear of another bike with strong rear brakes, (ducati) take a look at the brakes. Measure the rotor diameter. Is the caliper a single or a double?

Last edited by douglasgraham; 09-18-2009 at 12:33 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
denniskirk.com offers Goodridge universal stainless line components.

example of the parts they have;
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...niversal+brake

Just buy the Goodridge main lines in the correct length, add Goodridge banjo fittings on each end and Bob's your uncle. The main lines have threaded ends that the banjo fittings thread into.

I've done this on previous bike's where pre-made set-ups were not available, and they work and look great.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Allbikebrakes.com has house-brand stainless lines fitted for the Versys that I'm very happy with and cost significantly less than the more recognizable brands.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM

I've bought hose by the foot and fittings from Earl's and made my own up for years. It's not difficult at all, the instructions can be downloaded from the Earl's website.

When I do the V, I'll run two lines down from the master to each caliper individually and junk the jumper line, which will make it easier to bleed the air out. Just move the double banjo bolt from the right caliper up to the master, and the single bolt from the master down to the caliper.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Link to Earl's?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 AM

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM

American URL: http://www.holley.com/index.asp?division=Earls

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM

I can't make out the site. Lots different kinds of hoses but no idea which one to use for this application. Nothing labeled "Break Line"
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I can't make out the site. Lots different kinds of hoses but no idea which one to use for this application. Nothing labeled "Break Line"
Try "brake line" ?
aboyandhisversys likes this.

My Album:
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
FJS

Spiegler, they make them in the color you want or that they offer and fit as OEM.

Then change pads to aftermarket, the V uses the same pads as V-Stroms, only on front though, FYI. Go for sintered HH type and not organic if you want to stop better; MHO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode