Gearbox Whine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gearbox Whine

Hi from the UK
Interested in other riders opinion on the gearbox/transmission on the V
Prior to the first service (600 miles) recently,never noted any unusual noise from ther transmission.They changed the oil to Semi Synthetic and adjusted the chain along with the normal checks.

However now I am very aware of a whine from the transmission when decelerating in 2,3 and fourth i.e in overrun. Again I am aware that most transmissions whine in these circumstances but it appears very noticable to me ,even with my helmet on. Of course,It may be normal for motorcycles (I hope it is) and maybe I need to be told to put in ear plugs and learn to ignore it.
Have subsequently adjusted the chain (felt they had it to tight) now about 30mm slack on the sidestand and ensured the rear wheel is aligned.

Noise still there and find it hard to ignore
Will prob take it to dealer tommorow,to get their input,have posted similar on UK forum and most advice is to check the chain.

As this is my first "large" bike for many years I am probably worrying for nothing.Sorry for the long post,not good at precis.

Twohoots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Honestly it shouldn't be to the point of being overly noticable however the transmission will have a whine to it. You might take it in and let one of the service guys look at it just to make sure but I wouldn't worry about it.

It could be that you have noticed it and just fixating on it more, never know.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM

My versys just had its first sevice and things appear to be bedding in OK but still finding
gear change a bit tight from 2nd to 1st.
could be the kwaka neutral finder still need more running in as for tranmission whine not noticed any louder than normal but a while since i had a chain driven final drive more used to shaft drive ex BMW.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Whine

Thanks guys,useful info.
Will take to the dealer on Sat am (tommorow) and feed back their comments,will also see if I can scrounge a quick ride on their demonstrator.

Cheers
Twohoots
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Transmission Whine

Hi all

Took it to dealer,two guys rode it and say it is ok,perhaps a little louder on overun than some but nothing out of the orinary and quite OK,we agreed that I am probably fixating on it as mentioned in previous post.
Have to learn to ignore it,
though may check out another kawa dealer and scrounge a test ride to compare.

Thakns for your interest.
Twohoots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode