Constant on/off cycling of fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Constant on/off cycling of fan

Hello
I'm hoping someone might have knowledge or experience of this 'problem'.
I brought my 2009 Versys in to an established local shop to have the coolant flushed and replaced. After the service was done I rode the bike and noticed a buzz in the right cowl and the fan cycling on/off at idle. The fan coming on every minute or so. I have to presume it comes on while riding with somewhat the same frequency but hard to tell. I'm wearing a full face helmet. It does not appear to be overheating, no warning light comes on. It was checked with a heat sensing gun and is in the proper operating range.
I brought it back to the shop and after 2.5 hours of checking it out they still had no solid idea what they might have done or what was wrong but PROBABLY the thermostat was the culprit. I have ordered a thermostat.
My questions are. Should I let them replace the thermostat? They will only charge labor, I'm buying the thermostat. Or should I go to a repair shop that I know will get it right but will charge a price and it takes hours to get it to them and back.
This could digress into a discussion of the lack of accessible quality repair shops in Tucson. There are a couple of good shops but it is a half day journey to drop off and retrieve my bike from where I live using public transportation. I do not work on my own bike. I'll do an oil change. This isn't a thread about the need to do your own maintenance/repairs or that I should own a pickup with trailer. This is routine service any competent shop can do. And as I said the place I took it to is well established.
Maybe I should be more trusting? Pay to play and all that?

Thanks for any useful help
Dave
basstodave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,648
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It could be a faulty temp sensor which activates the fan - IMHO.

Thermostat Valve Opening Temp: 80.5 ~ 83.5 C

Check Water temp Sensor.


Last edited by Fastoman; 04-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Fastoman is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 16,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I've got my bike in the shop getting a valve clearance check and throttle body sync. I'll be changing out my radiator fluid once i get it back. I had a therm-o-bob installed on my bike. Its a radiator by-pass. But with the instruction booklet it will make changing your thermostat and fluid a piece of cake. I'll send PM it to you....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
weljo2001 is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The fan coming on periodically when the bike is idling is quite normal, especially where you live (I don't know Tucson, but it's hot there, right?). Once moving there is enough airflow that the fan likely isn't coming on at all. Why do you feel there is something wrong with the cooling system now? Was the fan not coming on as regularly before you had the service done?
Mt. Versuvius is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,792
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Hello
I'm hoping someone might have knowledge or experience of this 'problem'.
I brought my 2009 Versys in to an established local shop to have the coolant flushed and replaced. After the service was done I rode the bike and noticed a buzz in the right cowl and the fan cycling on/off at idle. The fan coming on every minute or so....
Some systems need to be "burped" after a coolant change, due trapped air in the system. Maybe...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
The fan coming on periodically when the bike is idling is quite normal, especially where you live (I don't know Tucson, but it's hot there, right?). Once moving there is enough airflow that the fan likely isn't coming on at all. Why do you feel there is something wrong with the cooling system now? Was the fan not coming on as regularly before you had the service done?
Ahhh. Good questions. It hasn't been too hot here lately. 70's low 80's. I rarely noticed the fan coming on before even in the hot months. When I noticed the buzz in the cowl and paid attention I realized the fan was coming on whereas I never noticed it before. Granted I never let the bike idle when hot before either. I went back to the shop for the buzz and possible gurgling in the reservoir tank, for them to recheck and 'Burp' the cooling system. This is when the shop told me the fan was cycling rather quickly at idle.
I just ran my bike to operating temps in my garage. At idle the fan comes on, goes off, comes back on in about 1 minute or so. I placed two strong fans in front of the bike, aimed at the radiator and the fan didn't come on after about 10 minutes. I would guess when the bike is moving with adequate air flow the fan is not cycling abnormally. Not sure what to make of that. Not some trippy sensor or glitch that turns the fan on regardless of cooling temp.
If the thermostat was stuck partially open or not opening completely then maybe they are right? I'm not overheating because it hasn't been too hot out yet. But at idle the partially opened thermostat is inadequate at idle and the engine is heating up.
The shop could have removed the thermostat and tested it. This is time consuming and if bad would need to order and replace anyway. The shortcut is to replace the thermostat and see if that is it. Of course if it isn't the thermostat then I have to have another diagnosis and more time and money spent. Would most shops test a thermostat if they thought it was possibly the problem? Or is it safe to assume most repair shops are parts replacers until they get it right? Not an indictment necessarily. Time is money. Business and all that.

Last edited by basstodave; 04-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
basstodave is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Burping

Could air be trapped in a Versys cooling system that several attempts at burping fail to get out the air bubble? The shop has had 3 tries at burping so far.
basstodave is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,957
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Once completely cooled down, see if it's full at radiator cap, and check level in expansion tank.
invader is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Ahhh. Good questions. It hasn't been too hot here lately. 70's low 80's. I rarely noticed the fan coming on before even in the hot months. When I noticed the buzz in the cowl and paid attention I realized the fan was coming on whereas I never noticed it before. Granted I never let the bike idle when hot before either. I went back to the shop for the buzz and possible gurgling in the reservoir tank, for them to recheck and 'Burp' the cooling system. This is when the shop told me the fan was cycling rather quickly at idle.
I just ran my bike to operating temps in my garage. At idle the fan comes on, goes off, comes back on in about 1 minute or so. I placed two strong fans in front of the bike, aimed at the radiator and the fan didn't come on after about 10 minutes. I would guess when the bike is moving with adequate air flow the fan is not cycling abnormally. Not sure what to make of that. Not some trippy sensor or glitch that turns the fan on regardless of cooling temp.
If the thermostat was stuck partially open or not opening completely then maybe they are right? I'm not overheating because it hasn't been too hot out yet. But at idle the partially opened thermostat is inadequate at idle and the engine is heating up.
The shop could have removed the thermostat and tested it. This is time consuming and if bad would need to order and replace anyway. The shortcut is to replace the thermostat and see if that is it. Of course if it isn't the thermostat then I have to have another diagnosis and more time and money spent. Would most shops test a thermostat if they thought it was possibly the problem? Or is it safe to assume most repair shops are parts replacers until they get it right? Not an indictment necessarily. Time is money. Business and all that.
To me it sounds like the cooling system is working properly, but that's just my opinion. The intervals for the fan kicking in seem about right.
Mt. Versuvius is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Member
 
genehil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mount Dora, FL
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
To me it sounds like the cooling system is working properly, but that's just my opinion. The intervals for the fan kicking in seem about right.
+1

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
genehil is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Lours_Polaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way up north
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1
+2

lop
Lours_Polaire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome