Constant on/off cycling of fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Constant on/off cycling of fan

Hello
I'm hoping someone might have knowledge or experience of this 'problem'.
I brought my 2009 Versys in to an established local shop to have the coolant flushed and replaced. After the service was done I rode the bike and noticed a buzz in the right cowl and the fan cycling on/off at idle. The fan coming on every minute or so. I have to presume it comes on while riding with somewhat the same frequency but hard to tell. I'm wearing a full face helmet. It does not appear to be overheating, no warning light comes on. It was checked with a heat sensing gun and is in the proper operating range.
I brought it back to the shop and after 2.5 hours of checking it out they still had no solid idea what they might have done or what was wrong but PROBABLY the thermostat was the culprit. I have ordered a thermostat.
My questions are. Should I let them replace the thermostat? They will only charge labor, I'm buying the thermostat. Or should I go to a repair shop that I know will get it right but will charge a price and it takes hours to get it to them and back.
This could digress into a discussion of the lack of accessible quality repair shops in Tucson. There are a couple of good shops but it is a half day journey to drop off and retrieve my bike from where I live using public transportation. I do not work on my own bike. I'll do an oil change. This isn't a thread about the need to do your own maintenance/repairs or that I should own a pickup with trailer. This is routine service any competent shop can do. And as I said the place I took it to is well established.
Maybe I should be more trusting? Pay to play and all that?

Thanks for any useful help
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It could be a faulty temp sensor which activates the fan - IMHO.

Thermostat Valve Opening Temp: 80.5 ~ 83.5 C

Check Water temp Sensor.

Last edited by Fastoman; 04-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I've got my bike in the shop getting a valve clearance check and throttle body sync. I'll be changing out my radiator fluid once i get it back. I had a therm-o-bob installed on my bike. Its a radiator by-pass. But with the instruction booklet it will make changing your thermostat and fluid a piece of cake. I'll send PM it to you....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM

The fan coming on periodically when the bike is idling is quite normal, especially where you live (I don't know Tucson, but it's hot there, right?). Once moving there is enough airflow that the fan likely isn't coming on at all. Why do you feel there is something wrong with the cooling system now? Was the fan not coming on as regularly before you had the service done?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Hello
I'm hoping someone might have knowledge or experience of this 'problem'.
I brought my 2009 Versys in to an established local shop to have the coolant flushed and replaced. After the service was done I rode the bike and noticed a buzz in the right cowl and the fan cycling on/off at idle. The fan coming on every minute or so....
Some systems need to be "burped" after a coolant change, due trapped air in the system. Maybe...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
The fan coming on periodically when the bike is idling is quite normal, especially where you live (I don't know Tucson, but it's hot there, right?). Once moving there is enough airflow that the fan likely isn't coming on at all. Why do you feel there is something wrong with the cooling system now? Was the fan not coming on as regularly before you had the service done?
Ahhh. Good questions. It hasn't been too hot here lately. 70's low 80's. I rarely noticed the fan coming on before even in the hot months. When I noticed the buzz in the cowl and paid attention I realized the fan was coming on whereas I never noticed it before. Granted I never let the bike idle when hot before either. I went back to the shop for the buzz and possible gurgling in the reservoir tank, for them to recheck and 'Burp' the cooling system. This is when the shop told me the fan was cycling rather quickly at idle.
I just ran my bike to operating temps in my garage. At idle the fan comes on, goes off, comes back on in about 1 minute or so. I placed two strong fans in front of the bike, aimed at the radiator and the fan didn't come on after about 10 minutes. I would guess when the bike is moving with adequate air flow the fan is not cycling abnormally. Not sure what to make of that. Not some trippy sensor or glitch that turns the fan on regardless of cooling temp.
If the thermostat was stuck partially open or not opening completely then maybe they are right? I'm not overheating because it hasn't been too hot out yet. But at idle the partially opened thermostat is inadequate at idle and the engine is heating up.
The shop could have removed the thermostat and tested it. This is time consuming and if bad would need to order and replace anyway. The shortcut is to replace the thermostat and see if that is it. Of course if it isn't the thermostat then I have to have another diagnosis and more time and money spent. Would most shops test a thermostat if they thought it was possibly the problem? Or is it safe to assume most repair shops are parts replacers until they get it right? Not an indictment necessarily. Time is money. Business and all that.

Last edited by basstodave; 04-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Burping

Could air be trapped in a Versys cooling system that several attempts at burping fail to get out the air bubble? The shop has had 3 tries at burping so far.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Once completely cooled down, see if it's full at radiator cap, and check level in expansion tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Ahhh. Good questions. It hasn't been too hot here lately. 70's low 80's. I rarely noticed the fan coming on before even in the hot months. When I noticed the buzz in the cowl and paid attention I realized the fan was coming on whereas I never noticed it before. Granted I never let the bike idle when hot before either. I went back to the shop for the buzz and possible gurgling in the reservoir tank, for them to recheck and 'Burp' the cooling system. This is when the shop told me the fan was cycling rather quickly at idle.
I just ran my bike to operating temps in my garage. At idle the fan comes on, goes off, comes back on in about 1 minute or so. I placed two strong fans in front of the bike, aimed at the radiator and the fan didn't come on after about 10 minutes. I would guess when the bike is moving with adequate air flow the fan is not cycling abnormally. Not sure what to make of that. Not some trippy sensor or glitch that turns the fan on regardless of cooling temp.
If the thermostat was stuck partially open or not opening completely then maybe they are right? I'm not overheating because it hasn't been too hot out yet. But at idle the partially opened thermostat is inadequate at idle and the engine is heating up.
The shop could have removed the thermostat and tested it. This is time consuming and if bad would need to order and replace anyway. The shortcut is to replace the thermostat and see if that is it. Of course if it isn't the thermostat then I have to have another diagnosis and more time and money spent. Would most shops test a thermostat if they thought it was possibly the problem? Or is it safe to assume most repair shops are parts replacers until they get it right? Not an indictment necessarily. Time is money. Business and all that.
To me it sounds like the cooling system is working properly, but that's just my opinion. The intervals for the fan kicking in seem about right.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
To me it sounds like the cooling system is working properly, but that's just my opinion. The intervals for the fan kicking in seem about right.
+1

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1
+2

lop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode