Torque wrench recommendation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Torque wrench recommendation

Can anyone recommend an "all-around" (if there's such a thing) torque wrench? I am new owner of a 2013 V and plan to do some of the maintenance on the bike, not the major stuff, and I figured a torque wrench would be a nice addition to my tool set... I don't want to buy the high end, or the cheapest one, just the median priced wrench that can do the job.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
The ones (Pittsburgh Click Type Torque Wrenches) from Harbor Freight Tools have come up as quite good on comparison tests. Watch for ads in the back of cycle mags and you can buy them for $9.99 each, and I recommend ALL three - 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".

FWIW I have TWO Snap-On ones (1/2" and 3/8") as well as an H-F 1/4" and 3/8" here in BC, as well as a full set of H-F ones in AZ.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The ones (Pittsburgh Click Type Torque Wrenches) from Harbor Freight Tools have come up as quite good on comparison tests. Watch for ads in the back of cycle mags and you can buy them for $9.99 each, and I recommend ALL three - 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".

FWIW I have TWO Snap-On ones (1/2" and 3/8") as well as an H-F 1/4" and 3/8" here in BC, as well as a full set of H-F ones in AZ.
Gee Fast Eddie ... 2 SnapOn torque wrenches ...
I should have sold you that bracket at a much higher price

LOP

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM

I trust the cheaper beam type more than the click type. Beam type almost cannot go out of calibration.

I also have this one which goes from 5 ft lbs to 105. It automatically converts from inch pounds to foot pounds to newton meters. It beeps and vibrates.

Plus I have a 250 ft lb snap on torsion bar type.

2 really old craftsman beam types, one 3/8 and one 1/2" drive.

ALL read the same when compared to each other.

David
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Gee Fast Eddie ... 2 SnapOn torque wrenches ...
I should have sold you that bracket at a much higher price

LOP
Phil - I paid about $50 for my 1/2" Snap-On clicker at a pawn-shop in Winnipeg (1989ish...?), and the 3/8" Snap-On dial type for about the same at a Calgary pawn shop (in 1996...?). Snap-On will calibrate theirs FOREVER! (Oh, and BTW - I ALSO have a 3/8" beam-type.) Can't have TOO MANY good tools!

Thanks for the Madstad....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I paid $25 at Princess Auto for mine. I would not recommend a cheap one like this as they break and are less a accurate than seat of.the pants feel and guestimation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David RSparky3 View Post
I trust the cheaper beam type more than the click type. Beam type almost cannot go out of calibration.

I also have this one which goes from 5 ft lbs to 105. It automatically converts from inch pounds to foot pounds to newton meters. It beeps and vibrates.

Plus I have a 250 ft lb snap on torsion bar type.

2 really old craftsman beam types, one 3/8 and one 1/2" drive.

ALL read the same when compared to each other.

David
What's with the bent breaker bar?

Last edited by invader; 04-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If an 18" breaker bar is good, then 36" of pipe on the end must be great.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Can anyone recommend an "all-around" (if there's such a thing) torque wrench? I am new owner of a 2013 V and plan to do some of the maintenance on the bike, not the major stuff, and I figured a torque wrench would be a nice addition to my tool set... I don't want to buy the high end, or the cheapest one, just the median priced wrench that can do the job.

Thanks in advance.
If you live in canada, canadian tire have 2 mastercraft model that come on sale on a regular basis and the one I have is doing perfectly the job ... BTW they come calibrated with a certification paper ...

LOP
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
If an 18" breaker bar is good, then 36" of pipe on the end must be great.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I'll recommend to any of you who're "torque-wrench" virgins... NEVER use your torque-wrench as a 'breaker-bar' to remove nuts or bolts. ONLY use it to do them up.

(IF you're wondering about that recommendation... I'm "told" that Snap-On will repair a broken ratcheting mechanism.... )

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
JMO I think this illustrates a cmoplication of incomplete understanding.
If I throw a pipe over my breaker bar I will increase the amount of torque that can be applied....but it's applied eccentricly (binding the fastener). That explains my T-handle and impact wrench, which apply the force reasonably concentric.
I'll run it past the dog when I get home.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM

build one with a normal wrench add some strain gages at 90degrees from one another, run it through a wheatstone bridge, easy peasy
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had good luck with my Sears Craftsman. The type where you turn the bottom part of the handle to dial in the torque. I'm careful not to drop them, and I turn them back to 0 when finished. Don't turn them a lot below 0, or so I've heard.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
One thing I'll recommend to any of you who're "torque-wrench" virgins... NEVER use your torque-wrench as a 'breaker-bar' to remove nuts or bolts. ONLY use it to do them up.
Good point.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Like others - I purchased my Torque Wrenches from Harbor Freight. I just set them a bit higher than recommended so I know its "tight" enough.

For those looking to purchase them -- they are on sale RIGHT NOW on their website for $10 after using this coupon (i get daily emails).

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...02&single=true

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktari View Post
My "little one" for oil changes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MB53ZE
Neiko's torque wrench is actually identical to Harbour Freight's chinese made 'Pittsburgh Pro'.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=torque+wrench

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=93022

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=188553

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=192976

Last edited by invader; 04-12-2013 at 07:25 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It was from another job. Its a 1/2" drive 36" long Snap On bar. YES I put a 4' pipe on it and went after those lug nuts with all I had. I did get them loose.

Just bragging rights. It takes a lotta balls to bend one of those. Snap on replaced it no problem.

I agree don't use your torque wrench to break bolts free or as a breaker bar. Sometimes there is one heck of a jump when the bolt first turns. This could trash your torque wrench.

The techwrench in the photo I just purchased to work on my bikes. Been using the beam type for years. I have one in inch pounds and one in foot pounds. I needed something in Newton Meters. Nice for those little bolts that hold the cam shaft in the head. 106 inch pounds isn't much for my fat hands. Its a nice tool, but not required to do a good job, any reasonably accurate torque wrench will work.

David
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Like others - I purchased my Torque Wrenches from Harbor Freight. I just set them a bit higher than recommended so I know its "tight" enough....
Do you realize that whatever error your wrench MIGHT have is as likely to be + as it is -, so I would suggest that you don't ASSUME it's low, and add more torque, because busting a fastener isn't a lot of fun....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 AM

For the home wrencher, not one to use it daily or for a fee, the inexpensive click types are fiarly accurate in the middle range. Using them at extremes is a little spotty. I have owned several of these, and we use them in a 9001 cert plant. I used to supervise the calibration tech, and had all my cheapos checked full range. My suggestion, b e sure you dont use for breaking, or tightening. Just use them for snugging, and relieve the spring daily, never store other than zero settings.

09 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode