KLR pegs on a V? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLR pegs on a V?

Anyone happen to know if KLR 650 pegs will work on V? The angles of incline looks about the same but don't know about other factors. Any former KLR owners perhaps?

If the bolt holes are the same, think they may work with MWerks Lowering blocks?

CC

---------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM

CC,

I don't have an answer for you right now, but I will be in a position in a couple of weeks to check it out first hand. I'm having a tech day at my house and I'm pretty sure at least one KLR is going to come by, maybe several. If you don't have your answer by then, I'll pop a peg off of one of the KLRs and try it on my bike.

Make sure and post here if you get the answer so I know whether or not to do that.

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Chris, that would be great!

Even if the pegs doesn't exactly fit in the stock position, I wonder if it would still be usable with the lowering blocks as long as the bolt hole diameter is the same.

If so, it would open up a good range of peg options for us! I'd check it out myself but don't hae access to a KLR to compare so unless you see an answer here, it's safe to assume I don't have one.

Paz,
CC

---------------------------------------------------

Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ron McColl
These are off an ER6N... these ae shorter than the originol pegs. Being a little short n the leg I found hey hit the inside of my leg with foot n ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V4.jpg (82.5 KB, 183 views)
Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 AM

anybody got a answer about the KLR footpegs fit?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM

The pivot holes are bigger than a KLR. You'd have to drill them out. I have no idea whether they'd be level or if that would have to also be altered

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 AM

earlier I posted the other pegs from ERg. Her is a second option.. pegs from a KLR will be about 4 degrees different. i.e the front dge wil be slightly lower. I ound this to be good as I spend more time sitting on the Versys as opposed to mostly standing on my KLR. here is a pic of what I have fitted now. As these are bushed they will fit either the KLR or the VERSYS using originol pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4734.jpg (49.9 KB, 383 views)
Old 07-23-2009, 03:29 AM

So Ron, Besides the slightly lower on the front of the KLR dirt pegs, the mounting is the same and all the rest?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM

The slight angle on the fot peg I find perfect in that, when I lift my foot onto the foot peg it matches in angle very nicely. I am just on 5'6"-5'7" I guess, so possily even better for taler people.
With the ER6 peg I added about a 1mm behind the heal strike of the foot peg to tip the outter end up a little. Just personnel preference for me. Perfect if you mostly wish to do sealed roads.
The serrated peg as in the last pic I fitted to the V is my favourate for both riding. They grip the boots really well with a wonderful possitive feel to them.
I have had them on the bike since about february and won't be taking them off. (unless I get a new Versys)
Incidently the original versys pegs I removed are fitted to the rear of an 08 KLR as pillon pegs. As they are longer it gives a little more comfort for the pilion especially if side protection frames a fitted.
I have other pics and info for those interested. I wil happily email direct or just post on here.
Cheers Ron
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Ye please post those pics. I want to get the KLR pegs and would love to see them a bit more. Tx

Also, where did you buy them?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Stupid question maybe, but why would you put KLR pegs on a Versys? I had a KLR and for the life of me I can't remember anything special about the pegs.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM

No, not stupid question. This is not the original footpegs. this is aftermarket footpegs which is wider and better when standing. I did a few 100 miles of dirt roads wet and dry and mud and my foot slipped lots when riding in the mud. So I need something wider and grip more.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM

Footpeg opton

OK guys and gals here's the info and pics.
Please excuse he hex head bolts they were used for the initial trial fitting.
these foot pegs will fit directly onto the versys using original Versys pins.
It has a spacer that allows the peg to be fitted in two positions by placing the spacer above or below the footpeg. Its not much of a move but maybe enough to assist in those minor personal adjustment preferences.
I spoke with Allen Pivot pegz today and, he said they will be producing this product for the Versys shortly. I explained there are a few people lookin for this type of product. I asked if it was possible for a date on them. He will let me know on Monday, which I will post here for you. He said they will even do a special early batch for those of you that contact him to order them which could be as early as 4 weeks. Once in production they will be an off the shelf item.
Those interested I suggest to contact Allen direct as the other outlets may not be aware of it yet or, let me know I will be happy to relay any inquiries on for you.
Allen is a nice bloke who will be more than happy to help you out.
here is his contact details. hopefully this helps ya out.

Allen Smith
Managing Director
Pivot Pegz Global Headquarters
PO Box 170, Devonport
Tasmania, Australia 7310
Ph. 03) 6423 1800
Fax. 03) 6423 3500
International Ph. + 61 3 6423 1800
International Fax. + 61 3 6423 3500
web: www.pivotpegz.net

regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4733.jpg (68.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4732.jpg (68.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4740.jpg (45.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 AM

If you're going to do these, I'd suggest you offset them to the rear so the front edge of your footpeg is at the same location as the front edge of the original one. Otherwise, it'll reduce the distance between the pegs and pedals, and require reworking them. Moose Racing has done this with their KLR pegs, and they work a lot better.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 AM

I would agree with ttpete if these were ridged pegs or for those with larger feet than mine. I tried these in both positions and felt no gain or preference to either. Equally confortable in either position. I have a size 8 boot. These pegs pivot (rotate) forward and back about 20 degrees from a spring loaded centerpoint and come up to a solid stop. Thats viewed looking directly at the end of the peg. if they didn't pivot I would say yes most likely you may wish to put them further back. However I wouldn't think it would be necessary to do more with the fitment options I've tried on the Versys, but a good point never the less. I have been riding on them with both road and enduro boots comfortably. I think these are a good option especially if you are spending a resonable amount of time on unsealed roads.
Regards Ron
hey don't hesitate to email me if you'd like me to expand or explain any points here etc
Keep it shinny side up guys....
Old 07-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Those look fantastic, but $150 for pegs is more than I'd want to spend. I just want something slightly lower and slightly wider.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:09 PM

I have these pix from another thread. It seems Buell pegs are a bolt-on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07637.jpg (194.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07638.jpg (197.1 KB, 152 views)

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
Old 07-26-2009, 04:04 AM

Thats a good way to drop the hieght. Are they off a particular model buell? The ER6n pegs will bolt on as well. same position as the V's but shorter in length. If I'd known of these at the time I tried the E6n pegs recon I woulda gone for these for the road/trackday use.
Do you know if they have provision for strike pegs under them as I have snaped a couple on my V after ground contact.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM

I don't do strike pegs. Took 'em off. If I get too frisky, the edges of my boot soles serve the purpose.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 AM

yep done the same.... used the boot edge just as the peg snaped off. hehe I put a dome head screw in where the strike peg was after that. I find the pivot pegs are good for the gravel and road and very strong. Did a load test on the one of the pegs using a jig fixed to a vice. Put a lot of load on it about 6' out,,, no probs. Cost a bit more but where I am can mean a 6 week wait for replacement originol pegs and the difference in price made them worth while. At the end of the day you have to decide what you goin to use them for and how much etc. 3 good choices on this thread to choose from.
cheers ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in