Technical advice - installing handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Technical advice - installing handguards

Since I'm rather dimwitted when it comes to mechanical things, I need some advice from you gurus out there. My Acerbis Multiconcept handguards arrived today. While their product seems good their instructions suck big time. After looking at Acerbis instructions I will never complain about Ikea again.

My question relates to the bar end attachment. There is an Acerbis expanding widget that goes inside the handlebars. So far so good. There is also a rubber sleeve. Am I to assume that the rubber sleeve goes over top of the expanding widget? Also, once I start to take the bar ends apart are there any parts that will go sproing!! and roll into a dark corner never to be seen again?

I welcome any and all advice.

Thanks for your help...

Oh yeah, one more thing: Has anyone tried getting rid of that big, ugly Acerbis emblem like with some paint? I don't want my bike to look like a billboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00142.jpg (53.9 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by charly; 02-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Charly,

I have the same handguards with the large Touring wind deflectors.

You're in luck. The end of the handlebars are threaded to accept the OEM bar end weights. You can just unscrew the bolt holding the existing weights and use that same screw to hold in the end of your new handguards. The taper of the bolt head is exactly the same as that on the expansion bolt assembly you pictured. It will nest just right into the taper of your handguard.

You can save the expansion widgit for a rainy day.

As for removing the Acerbis logo, I wish I had some sage counsel. I agree with you that I would rather not be a rolling commercial for Acerbis or any other manufacturer for that matter. I considered solvents, but I'm afraid of messing up the finish on the plastic. I also considered scraping them offer, but again, fearful off messing up the surrounding bits. I also noticed that the letters are not just painted or stuck on. They appear to be slightly raised from the surface as if they are actually part of the injection mold.

I will keep an eye on this thread in hopes that someone can solve this problem for us.

You should be good to go on the mounting though.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks DragonBreath. Here's another dumb question: Do I use the Kawasaki bolt or the Acerbis widget bolt? Is the Kawasaki bolt still long enough to do what it's supposed to do considering the thickness of the handguard bracket?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Charly, I'm pretty sure I re-used the Kawi bolts, but either will work. I think the handguard aluminum bar is no thicker than the portion of the bar end that the existing bolt is holding.

If you're uneasy with that, it's no problem to remove the long bolts from the expansion assembly and use them. I think I remember checking that and noting that the thread pattern is the same. I might be wrong with that though.

EDIT: One thing I just remembered. I am pretty sure the existing bolts are red-loctited in, so don't be surprised if you have to really get on them with an allen-wrench to get them to break free. If you can't get them to budge, you can always heat the bolt a bit with an air gun or soldering iron. Watch out for over heating the grip though. Good luck.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

Last edited by DragonBreath; 02-03-2009 at 10:44 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

The emblem appears to be paint. It's not molded in. I held the handguard over a steaming kettle and was able to scrape some of the emblem off. I don't recommend doing it that way, though. It scuffs up the finish of the plastic.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
The emblem appears to be paint. It's not molded in. I held the handguard over a steaming kettle and was able to scrape some of the emblem off. I don't recommend doing it that way, though. It scuffs up the finish of the plastic.
I have the same guards. I didn't try to remove the logo yet, but it's on my list of things-to-do. Once the paint is removed, minor scratches can be buffed out. I've already done this to these guards from inadvertently scraping one on my garage door. The gouge was sanded and it buffed out fine. I'll try some acetone or paint remover and see if that works. Going on vaca for awhile so I won't be able to report back till around the 20th or so.....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Redline, definitely report back when you can though, because this is something that I really want to do. I have been hesitant to try just because I don't want to turn a little problem into a big one.

Have a good vacation

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
Redline, definitely report back when you can though, because this is something that I really want to do. I have been hesitant to try just because I don't want to turn a little problem into a big one.

Have a good vacation
No problem. I'll keep you informed. It'll come off one way or the other...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM

I got half of the acerbis logo off of one of mine.
All it takes is grinding the guards into the asphault. Though there may be better ways to go about this...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Spray paint works. I bought a spray can of promoter and a spray can of black auto body touch up paint. Cleaned the guard with degreaser, sanded it, masked it off and sprayed it. No more logo.

I hope spring comes soon. I'm getting a little anal with the modifications.

Last edited by charly; 02-09-2009 at 07:26 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Hand gaurds

Just put some acerbis hand gaurds on mine and used aircraft remover,the acerbis wipes off instantly and does not damage the plastic.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juevea12 View Post
Just put some acerbis hand gaurds on mine and used aircraft remover,the acerbis wipes off instantly and does not damage the plastic.
juevea12, this is good news. I'm not familiar with aircraft remover. What is it and where can I get some.

Thanks.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Hand gaurds

It is paint remover you can get it at a auto parts store,its in a blue can.Be careful not to get it on your skin.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juevea12 View Post
It is paint remover you can get it at a auto parts store,its in a blue can.Be careful not to get it on your skin.
I thought you weren't supposed to use Aircraft remover on plastic? Is there a type for use on plastics too?

-Alan
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM

had gaurds

I thought the same thing so i tried it on a extra dirtbike fender i have and waited a day and it did not do any thing to it.Also spray it on a rag then wipe it off as you do not want any overspray on your bike paint.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

I'd pay five bucks more for the handguards without
the billboards. Somebody ought to tell Acerbis!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

So would I, considering I spent twenty bucks in supplies to paint over top of their bloody logo.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
So would I, considering I spent twenty bucks in supplies to paint over top of their bloody logo.
I used what I had sitting on my bench......rubbing compound works well with a scouring pad. I haven't had the chance to go at it with the buffer yet, but the logos came off in about 5 seconds......it did "scuff" up the plastic and leave it dull, but that's what happened with the scratch that buffed out fine. I'll get to finish it this weekend....

Update: The buffer did not do the job as good this time as the original smaller scratch removal did. Bottom line is that the shiny sheen is now like a flat black. Certainly not bad, but this procedure is not recommended.

Last edited by redline; 03-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode