Lowering Blocks Questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering Blocks Questions

I just installed the Motowerks footpeg lowering blocks last night (haven't had a chance to actually test ride yet) and I notice a few things;
First of all, the left peg rotates in it's mount a few degrees and I cannot remember if this was the case before I installed the blocks. Is this normal? The right peg does not move at all.
Secondly, the gearshift lever seems a bit "wobbley" after adjusting it downward to match the new position of the peg. How much play should there be?
Thirdly, I now understand that I should lower the suspension, to maintain the proper geometry of the bike. Just the front, or both? How much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I just installed the Motowerks footpeg lowering blocks last night (haven't had a chance to actually test ride yet) and I notice a few things;
First of all, the left peg rotates in it's mount a few degrees and I cannot remember if this was the case before I installed the blocks. Is this normal? The right peg does not move at all.
Secondly, the gearshift lever seems a bit "wobbley" after adjusting it downward to match the new position of the peg. How much play should there be?
Thirdly, I now understand that I should lower the suspension, to maintain the proper geometry of the bike. Just the front, or both? How much?
Not normal, has to be verified

Putting the block has no effect on the shifter wobbling around, has to be verified

Don't get the relation between the footpeg block and lowering the suspension ... There is no link between those two things

Good luck

LOP
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM

I don't think it's right. Did you check the bolt that holds the peg on? You can see it here (#92150A) you need to pull the plate and check it. I bet it's loose. And when you pull it might as well grease the pivot for the shifter as well.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

It looks like I need to start by removing the tie rod for the shift lever and then remove the plate? Then I can access the bolt that holds the peg mount in place? If it won't tighten any further, should I try adding a washer or two?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM

I can't remember if I had to pull the link or not, There are Himi Joints on both ends and you just need a little play.

It it won't tight up there's something wrong and I'd get the dealer to look at it

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I found that the part that the peg attaches to had worn where it slides into the plate and there was some "play" in it. I'll take the parts to the dealer in the morning and see if I need to replace just the mount or the plate as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Update; I went to the dealer and, after consulting with the mechanic and showing him the parts, ordered the part (bracket). Went home and decided that I may as well put everything back together- that way no parts would get mislaid and she might even be somewhat rideable while I waited for the part to come in.
Imagine my surprize when I found that one I tightened up the bolt, the play in the peg mount disappeared! Everything nice and tight. Went for a ride and couldn't believe the difference. I am much more comfortable and relaxed, and feel like the bike balances better with my feet just a little over an inch lower. I am one happy camper!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 AM

Readjust the rear brake and gear lever to your requirement. Best to suit with your riding boots on. No connection between geometry with the lowering blocks.

Money well spend and good rides !

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode