evap can removal for CA models - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
evap can removal for CA models

it's pretty straightforward, just involves capping (or not) a nipple in the front of the airbox, and hooking the 2 vent lines coming out the side of the tank (the red dot and blue dot lines) together with a piece of U-shaped tubing, and you're done. the red and blue together allow the tank to vent thru the cap. the other alternative is to connect all 3 lines together and the vents are now hooked up to the overflow. that's the way it's been on my triumph for years and never a prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Why would you even bother to do this? All the evap system does is store the vapors from the fuel tank, until they can be sucked into the engine, and burned up during startup. It does nothing to restrict performance. Also, the gas cap is sealed and it will not vent through the cap. It is designed to vent through the evap system. It means you won't smell gas fumes in your garage, and the fumes will not end up in the atmosphere. Understand what something does, and understand it is illegal to tamper with it, in fact it is a felony!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey, landlord, I never said I did it, I just figured out HOW to do it. It's academic, so chill out. It doesn't seem that the gas cap is sealed, either. blow thru the hoses and you'll see.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM

Landlord -
No disrespect intended, but the problem with the CA evap canisters is not so much performance, more aesthetics, and no hard data that shows that they do any good. California riders get saddled with this obnoxious, ugly afterthought that gets in the way, and which practically doesn't do a whole helluva lot to keep the emissions clean. The best it does is keep a tiny fraction of gasoline vapors from venting to the outside. It's not like these bikes are losing gallons of gasoline to evaporation anyway -- the tank is still mostly a closed system, otherwise our fuel efficiency would be crap. And this bike, and many others like it, have actually met strict European emissions requirements. If any of the bikes not sold with evap canisters was seriously venting gasoline into the atmosphere, you would have seen many garages that would have blown up by now.

Also, I seriously doubt that it's a felony to tamper with it. I know of exactly zero bikes that get emissions tested in California after they're sold, and all of our licensing and restrictions do very little to keep 49 state bikes out of CA anyway. Ask the guys riding red Versys in CA ...

It wouldn't bother me so much if a) the canister was discreet, unobtrusive, and a normal design element of the bike, and b) if the California Air Resources Board (CARB) flexed its regulatory might toward far worse polluters in our state, including thousands of seriously polluting vehicles that cross at our border with Mexico each and every day. Cars and trucks that not only have completely inadequate emissions controls, some which are blatant smokers, and some that pose a very real and dangerous hazard just being on the road. If you've driven anywhere on the freeways from San Diego to LA, you've seen what I'm talking about.

Instead what we have are manufacturers that have to build a whole different tank and hose routing setup on a motorcycle that represents a tiny portion of the total motoring public, and which realistically can't account for even a remotely significant portion of the air pollution when 95% of the drivers are in cars. These restrictions limit the public's access to motorcycle models that are freely available elsewhere. In California, which must represent a significant portion of the motorcycle buying population of the USA due to our generally mild weather all year throughout the state, we're limited in what models we can buy because bikes that meet all other states and countries' requirements, don't pass the muster with CARB. Which is why it took two years for California to get the Versys.

So if a motorcycle owner wants to remove the evap canister of a motorcycle he/she owns, far be it for me to find fault with that. No worse than straight pipes on Harley's or removing baffles on sport bike pipes, and less annoying to the public at large.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by darcym; 02-10-2009 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Well said, DarcyM....
and as an addendum, seems like connecting the 2 hoses together should work, and does, but the when the cap is opened, there's a whoosh, so connecting all 3 together seems to be the way to go, academically, of course.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Issues with Leaving the Evap Canister on

4 points:

1. T ing all 3 lines together will work well because the cap does have a vent. Normally that vent is through the charcoal Canister.
2. If you overfill the tank with the Canister installed the manual say that you need to replace the canister because it is ruined!
3. If the canister is ruined/plugged with wet fuel the tank will have venting problems and can stall.
4. When the Bike is dropped fuel will get into the canister and the bike may not run without work or may run poorly until the slow flow or vented air through the canister "dries out" the canister.

Last edited by 2xadv; 02-19-2009 at 02:14 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 PM

+1 on darcym's post. When I get a Versys, evap is the first thing I'd do. I already did it to my current ride - took 10 minutes.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

So far, its only on the California bikes...

but you probably knew that....

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 02-19-2009 at 07:53 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM

My plan is to remove the canister but leave the vacuum switch connected. I will bypass the canister hoses which will allow the tank to vent with and without vacuum as intended. I will remount the switch and hoses in an obscure location.

Any comments or suggestions?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM

doe anyone a picture of how they attached ther hoses to get rid of the evap canister
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM

We did this on my sons 250 and the garage always smelled like gas so we put it back on . Makes no sense to remove it anyway.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:51 PM

I need to remove it to properly install crash bars. Also California sucks ass so anything cali related will be removed
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier1390 View Post
I need to remove it to properly install crash bars. Also California sucks ass so anything cali related will be removed
For all the people that say don't remove it.......If it's such a good thing to have on the bike WHY doesn't every Versys have one? I removed mine pretty early on and never looked back. I never had a smell of gas, and got almost 1/2 gallon MORE fuel capacity!! WIN WIN
These are the directions I followed:

Just a quick clarification for those of you with a newer versys with different color coding on the fittings...

On the tank:
Blue is fuel vent/drain. Run a hose down the bike incase anything comes out. It will keep gas away from the bike.

Black/no color is a return- cap this.

Cap the vacuum fitting on the throttle body which had previously run to the canister.

The green hose can either be sealed with a bolt, vacuum fitting and rubber cap, or you can trace it up and cap it at the source. This will require removing the air box, which I'm pretty sure it is connected to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4728.jpg (56.8 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4719.jpg (57.5 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4725.jpg (56.2 KB, 1023 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
For all the people that say don't remove it.......If it's such a good thing to have on the bike WHY doesn't every Versys have one? I removed mine pretty early on and never looked back. I never had a smell of gas, and got almost 1/2 gallon MORE fuel capacity!! WIN WIN
These are the directions I followed:

Just a quick clarification for those of you with a newer versys with different color coding on the fittings...

On the tank:
Blue is fuel vent/drain. Run a hose down the bike incase anything comes out. It will keep gas away from the bike.

Black/no color is a return- cap this.

Cap the vacuum fitting on the throttle body which had previously run to the canister.

The green hose can either be sealed with a bolt, vacuum fitting and rubber cap, or you can trace it up and cap it at the source. This will require removing the air box, which I'm pretty sure it is connected to.
Alright so I am going to try this wish me luck amigo
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
What's with the Cali hating? I get that you don't favor unnecessary emission add-ons like the useless evap canister - which I made quick work of removing soon after I got my '13 V home - but no need to get all hostile about it.

Binderline
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Alright so I am going to try this wish me luck amigo
have at it let up know how it goes and if you need any help hit me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
What's with the Cali hating? I get that you don't favor unnecessary emission add-ons like the useless evap canister - which I made quick work of removing soon after I got my '13 V home - but no need to get all hostile about it.
its a portland thing, kinda the battle of the hipsters
30 years ago it looked like this

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
For all the people that say don't remove it.......If it's such a good thing to have on the bike WHY doesn't every Versys have one? I removed mine pretty early on and never looked back. I never had a smell of gas, and got almost 1/2 gallon MORE fuel capacity!! WIN WIN ....
I removed the one on my '09 soon after getting it; my '08 doesn't have one; and my '15 doesn't either, altho' it DOES have something.... There are some lines attached to the tank, IF I remember correctly.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Sorry not meaning to bash Calif people I love the people and the state itself it's the ridiculous regulations California has that drive me away. I have friends who struggle with their small business (ranchers, mechanics) because of increasing ridiculous rules. So when I find a California tumor on my bike I am compelled to remove it!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
...So when I find a California tumor on my bike I am compelled to remove it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Sorry not meaning to bash Calif people I love the people and the state itself it's the ridiculous regulations California has that drive me away. I have friends who struggle with their small business (ranchers, mechanics) because of increasing ridiculous rules. So when I find a California tumor on my bike I am compelled to remove it!
just let me know when you wanna do that BTW
PM me and ill give you my #

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode