Brake rotor bobbins - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake rotor bobbins

I was watching some videos on YouTube and came across one saying that you should be able spin the bobbins that the rotor sits on by hand.....Well, mine definitely do not spin by hand, in fact I can't even get them to budge. Since I'll have the front wheel off soon to replace the tires, I was wondering if it would be worth taking the rotors off and cleaning the bobbins if they should in fact be able to be moved by hand......???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Clean them with brake cleaner, and carefully clean the discs. They should work themselves free. Clean off the expelled grime and repeat process a couple times, making sure no lube can migrate to rotors' friction (braking) surface.
To be honest, I haven't done mine yet.

Last edited by invader; 03-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Have never heard that before. What was the reasoning behind having them spin freely?

I would think if they all spun freely it would mean there wasn't firm friction on any of them and it would create wobble in your rotor, Though I could be wrong... I'll check mine tomorrow

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Front brake discs are semi-floating. If they seize up on the bobbins, front brakes may pulse and have less braking power, and it can lead to rotors warping.

Last edited by invader; 03-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

What invader said....
I actually tried to sell my Versys a couple months ago because I thought I wanted a DR650....I finally came to my senses and realized that my Versys is by FAR the best bike for me. As much as I'd like to "think" I'll go off-road, I really won't, and with my 30 mile commute on the highway everyday, the Versys just makes so much sense. Which led me to completely give the bike a facelift and do all the maintenance. I want to completely know how to work on my bike, so I'm trying to do everything myself. The bobbin issue is just one thing I found when researching issues I have with my bike....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Here's the video I was referring to....

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 AM

I have to say I've never checked mine but makes sense. However, I don't think there's enough of an advantage to lubricating them to offset the risk of contaminating your rotors and pads, even with a dry lubricant. Keeping them clean and free will let them do their job. I'll take a look at mine for sure and probably make it part of my tire changing and/or annual brake fluid replacement routine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Ditto.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM

As I do a little reading today, I'm thinking our rotors are technically semi-floating, which means they probably aren't going to be loose like the video. True free-floating rotors should move on the carrier and actually rattle a bit underway.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM

What does our manual says about the rotors?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM

I looked through it today and didn't see anything about the bobbins. No mention of checking them, even in the section listing the specs for disc runout.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM

No mention whether it is a semi or fully floating type?

- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Not that I saw.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Yes, front brakes are dual semi-floating 300 mm petal discs... No mention of any required bobbin maintenance in service manual.

Last edited by invader; 03-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Thanks invader. Tried googling around and apart from explaining what semi and fully floaters do, there are no mention how to visually differentiate between the 2. Plus our rotor bobbins looks just like what was shown in the video, and no, it doesnt turn when i tried to spin it by hand.

So can we assume that the semi floaters doesnt need spinning+cleaning the way a full floater do like in the video? I asked my regular mechanic and hell, he has no idea about rotor bobbins cleaning either!

Up next :

Last edited by andrewhtf; 03-26-2013 at 08:17 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM

My Delboy's Garage video has the right idea. Rotate them free with bolt and nut, clean them out with brake cleaner and carefully wipe off the expelled grime. Make sure the carriers, bobbins, and brake discs are clean... It is good practice to remove and clean the calipers as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode