pipe removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
pipe removal

Just got a new Leo vince pipe. I am looking at the stock pipe and need a question answered. looks like the two side plates, the plastic one and the one that holds the rear master cyl. and foot peg need to come off to slide the long bolt on top of the stock pipe out. Is this correct or am I missing something easier? New pipe basically came with a picture. Thanx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrrdr View Post
Just got a new Leo vince pipe. I am looking at the stock pipe and need a question answered. looks like the two side plates, the plastic one and the one that holds the rear master cyl. and foot peg need to come off to slide the long bolt on top of the stock pipe out. Is this correct or am I missing something easier? New pipe basically came with a picture. Thanx in advance.

The peg bracket / plastic shroud {which HAS to be removed for the peg bracket removal} should be removed for access to the two bolts that hold the stock muffler in place. Don't disconnect any brake components, I use a bungee to hold it up out of the way while I commence with surgery. Shouldn't take you but about 10 minutes for removal.......

Last edited by redline; 01-22-2009 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM

It helps to loosen back wheel, unhook chain and slide back wheel back fully back before removing standard exhaust or damage to gasket may happen . i did on mine !

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Fawcett View Post
It helps to loosen back wheel, unhook chain and slide back wheel back fully back before removing standard exhaust or damage to gasket may happen . i did on mine !
Actually, if the header bolts are loosened and the pipes allowed to drop slightly, there is no need to touch the rear wheel. There is plenty of clearance for removal or installation of the stock muffler. Done it more than I'd like......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Actually, if the header bolts are loosened and the pipes allowed to drop slightly, there is no need to touch the rear wheel. There is plenty of clearance for removal or installation of the stock muffler. Done it more than I'd like......
Yes , But why break the seal of the header pipes to engine for no reason and risk a leak ?
in my book its easyer to slide the back wheel back.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Yes , But why break the seal of the header pipes to engine for no reason and risk a leak ?

I wondered the same thing, but after about 10 times {no kidding}, there is no flange leak at the head. Yes, I know, the gaskets should be changed anytime the header is removed but honestly haven't had to........BTW....the reason for the numerous "back-and-forth" changes is because I can't make up my mind which exhaust I like better. You'd think that with three options...the Akra can w/ silencer, w/o silencer, or the stock muffler would be enough but it isn't.....the Akra w the silencer is ALMOST as quiet as stock, barely a perceptible difference, w/o it, it sounds like thunder...I like it all, just need to be obsessive compulsive about "tinkering". I posted pics in the gallery for a look see of the Akra pipe. It does look cool!!! IMO of course.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM

the header gaskets on the V are pretty robust and should stand multiple R&R's. I like it that they don't fall out if you look at them sideways, too. Klrdr, which leo pipe did you get?
I like the near stock sound of the gp evo2 with the pre-muffler, but love the looks of the regular alloy can. I just got the shop drawings of both pipes from leo and it looks like the regular can has a plug for an o2 sensor, which could be nice for the pc5 coming out in a couple of weeks, and they also told me the stock can runs at 92 db but they didn't know how loud their cans were. for shoppers, pipe city is having a blue light special where they discount the pc3/5 if you buy a pipe at the same time....I'm still working on a quieter DIY can.

Last edited by tomla; 01-23-2009 at 05:14 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

pipe removal

I just got the Aluminium pipe with the bent elbo end. 7551-EVO II. Paid $266 with free ship. Don't usually keep bikes long so I did not need to spend a fortune.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Garage
remove stock exhaust

Quote:

So......
If I slide back (or remove) the rear wheel......
I can remove the old exhaust and install my new exhaust?
(without removing the header from the engine)
True?

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650

Last edited by poochar; 01-13-2011 at 04:48 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochar View Post
So......
If I slide back (or remove) the rear wheel......
I can remove the old exhaust and install my new exhaust?
(without removing the header from the engine)
True?
Sounds like you could but... Seriously, don't be afraid to take the head pipes off. They seal with a thick copper gasket. You could reuse the stock gasket a 100 times and it would be fine. It makes taking the stock muffler out simple as well as making it easier to line up bolts on the install of the new one.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Garage
thanks

ahhh..... you read my mind..... (thanks)
my dealer does not stock the gaskets.

....so the gaskets are pretty robust (good to know)

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Also any dealer that services motorcycles will most likely have a copper gasket seal kit (assortment of copper seal washers) in the service area. Even if they don't have a gasket in stock they could sell you one of these. We did it all the time. Just take them the washer that didn't roll down drain and they can match it up.

Last edited by Phoneman064; 01-14-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode