Setting the bead on new tires.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Setting the bead on new tires....

All I have is a Sears/Crafstman 150psi, 1.5 gallon air compressor. Will that be enough to set the bead when installing new tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM

I sure hope so!

I've changed lots of tires over the years and I've found that lube goes a long way in helping get tires on and off, and that especially includes setting the bead. Some people suggest using all kinds of household goop, but you never know what that's going to do to your wheels or tires, and a huge jug of tire lube, made specifically for the job, is available at any auto parts store and doesn't cost much. It's probably cheaper than using dishwashing liquid or the other stuff some people use.

Slather a bunch of lube on the wheel and it will help the bead pop into place. If air is leaking out as fast as you're putting it in, the lube will also bubble and show you where air is escaping, so you can press on the middle of the tread in that area to try to get a good seal.

I would not put 100 psi or something insane in the tire. If you're much above the usual pressure and it hasn't sealed, you need to use more lube or maybe reposition the tire a little with your tire irons. In some lucky cases, I've actually had the beads seal at less than the normal pressure.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Excellent advice. Thank you.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

From what I've read and seen on YouTube, you should not go higher than 40psi when attempting to seat the bead.....correct?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
wrong lube....tire set at 55 psi quite exciting
right lube ....tire set at 25 psi stayed in my shoes
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

So......The obvious question is.....What is the "right" lube?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tire soap,(Murphys tire lube/soap).

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM

With a bias ply tire sometimes you have to take the valve stem out and use an air nozzle fitting to get a very rapid rush of air to seat the bead. But the sidewalls are pretty flexible on the radials most people use on the Versys, so leaving the stem in isn't a problem. I don't usually need to add much air after the bead has popped, so about 35 lbs. is enough to do the job. I use Pledge because it leaves a nice lemony smell on my hands. Above all, keep your fingers out of the way!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 AM

A friend of mine who rides more in a year than some guys ride in a lifetime is frequently seen changing a tire at rallies and camping events. He sets the bead using a 12v portable compressor...I've seen him do it multiple times. I've seen his ST1100 propped up on some stray firewood while he had the rim off the bike, too. (Channeling his inner MacGuyver.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A friend of mine who rides more in a year than some guys ride in a lifetime is frequently seen changing a tire at rallies and camping events. He sets the bead using a 12v portable compressor...I've seen him do it multiple times. I've seen his ST1100 propped up on some stray firewood while he had the rim off the bike, too. (Channeling his inner MacGuyver.)
don't tell him it can't be done until he's finished doing it
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I've used WD40 sprayed on the tire-bead several times....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Remove the valve stem to get the air in faster. I have been using spray-on Pledge wax for years as a lube. No ill effects and no liquid left inside of tire to corrode things. Try bouncing the tire where the air is coming out if it won't seat. Or use a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire if it was too closed to begin with. 60psi max should do it even with 1 1/2 gal comp.
CAUTION: Keep fingers away from bead!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Just got the rear tire off(first tire change I've tried by hand).....Besides a really good busted knuckle, it wasn't too difficult. Yet......We'll see how the front removal and instaling new tires goes! Have to stop now because every time I use my right hand, blood squirts out..LOL
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As mentioned, have the valve core out, and use an attachment that shoots the air in. Not the usual chuck like at the gas station. If the tire bead is sort of folded in from spooning on the tire, just bounce it a bit on the floor, that helps.

For lube, I have a No-Mar changer and I really like their lube paste. Otherwise, RuGlide is also good.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM

+1 NAPA Ruglide

I used my 100psi air compressor from Harbor Freight. With a coupon from a motorcycle mag it's about $50 - $55 including tax, the hose, and air chuck.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder

Last edited by Tgoods; 04-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode