Break-in procedure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Break-in procedure

I know this is a controversial subject, but how did you break-in your new bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 AM

I know a lot of people that used the moto man way where you beat on the engive to seat the rings. They have had good luck with it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Red face crazy horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I know this is a controversial subject, but how did you break-in your new bike?
Hi Jeremy went out on saturday 450 miles on the clock put 120 more on due first sevice tuesday did not take rpm above 6000.
Did notice that the gear change a bit more sticky near end of run but ran well
most of the day.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Hi everyone,
I just purchased my versys 2 days ago and have only put about 17 miles on it so far. Should I follow the break-in procedure as mentioned in the manual? Has anyone else done it this way with good results?
Also, I've heard that with new motors, the break in period should last about as long as the first tank of gas......I know thats vague but is this feasable?
Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM

do not follow the manual break in procedure do it the moto man way. My 2 bikes run nice and strong doing it his way!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM

I wonder what ever happened to Motoman, he hasn't updated his site in about 5 years.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Al right, I'm confused (so what else is new ), If one person is so great at coming up with a proper break-in procedure, then why do all of the manufacturers have their apparently conservative time frames like that for the Versys. I can't deny (especially since I'm so new to the sport), that Motoman's method gets us all up and running at a more "pleasant" rate of speed, but I'm going to stick to what Kawasaki says. They designed it, they tested it, they build it, and given that they probably have a pretty big team working on all of this, I'm more willing to trust them the some guy who can't even give out his real name or what credentials qualify him to make his claims.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Al right, I'm confused (so what else is new ), If one person is so great at coming up with a proper break-in procedure, then why do all of the manufacturers have their apparently conservative time frames like that for the Versys.
It reduces the risk of injury to the rider...

If someone got on their new YZX1200RR with 150 HP and ran it hard without some sort acclimatization period, it's likely they'd show up as a statistic somewhere. Even bikes like the Versys with "only" 64 HP can do that to you if you are not an experienced rider (and sometimes, even to those that have experience). So, it's safer for everybody to take it easy in the first 600 miles and get to know the bike. Not unlike the 100 mile break-in period recommended for new tires. Tires are broken in after one heat cycle (one lap of a racetrack, a good run on a twisty road, etc.), but almost all manufacturers mention the 100 mile break-in period.

Gustavo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode