Wiring/Accessory help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wiring/Accessory help

A couple years ago I installed those cheap, stick-on grip warmers to my 2009 Versys. I have them going to a wiring distribution block, then a relay. They are tapped into the tail light. I just bought a little 12v power adapter/cigarette lighter to install and use for charging my iphone. Will it be ok, power wise, to simply connect those wires to open spots on my distribution block? Just don't want to drain a new battery or have something not work....And do I, or "should" I install an inline fuse between the power outlet and the relay? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Actually, now that I look closer, I already have a 20a inline fuse between the relay and the battery....Should that suffice?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM

You should be good to go.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Ok, next questions...
1.) My distribution block has 12 screws/inputs. Five are already taken. Does it MATTER where I connect the new live and ground wires for the 12v outlet on the block?

2.) The outlet comes with huge "O ring" connectors. Can I just cut those off and install the smaller ones that will fit to the distribution block?

Here's a pic of the wiring distribution block as it stands.....

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tenover; 03-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Its difficult to tell for sure just from the photo but it would appear the 6 on the left are positive and the 6 on the right are earth, yes a basic crimp set should include all the bits you need to cut off the old connecters, strip the wires and crimp on new connectors, just make sure to watch a youtube video or read a guide to make sure youre doing it correctly.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Actually, now that I look closer, I already have a 20a inline fuse between the relay and the battery....Should that suffice?
IF it 'blows', think about a 30A fuse, but IF a 30A blows DON'T go bigger till you discover why!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Suggest you consider the FZ-1 relay/fuze-block. Several threads here that testify to its good performance and ease of use. Find it at
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=5#faq80
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Looking at the picture I posted above.....On the postive side, on the upper half, there is that metal piece....If I connect the 12v power outlet to one of those remaining 6 positive terminals, do I need to remove that piece completely? Part way? Or just connect OVER that piece?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Another question...I bought a standard "Trackside" 12v Power adapter. I'm going to need to extend the wires to reach the distribution block, and both wires are covered in a single heat shrink tube, so I can't tell what size the wires are. I know that the only wire I have is a bit smaller than what these are. Anyone know what size wires the stock ones are so I can go buy some?

Here's a link to an install page someone did on the exact model. I also see this:
"A power adapter requires a steady 12-volt DC potential so it needs to be wired directly to the battery (on bikes without a battery or an aftermarket stator it's unlikely that even rectified current will fall withing the range required to run must consumer electronic devices). The harness supplied with the Trackside unit is intended to serve this purpose but at around 20 inches in length it's far too short for most dirt bikes. Many installations will require lengthening the leads. "

Is this true? Should I hook it directly up to the battery instead of going to my distribution block/relay that's tapped into the tail light?
http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/motorc...er_adapter.htm

Last edited by tenover; 03-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Your "distribution box" SHOULD be wired to the battery, with the tail-light ONLY 'triggering' the relay.

IF you go direct to the battery, be sure to put an inline fuse on the + wire. I suggest you add any wire to the short leads in 12 or 14 gauge.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I just traced all the wires. Here's how it sits now. You got me worried that it is not hooked up correctly as it stands now, with heated grips only. If this looks right, I was hoping I could use one more neg. and one more pos. point on the distribution block to attach the new power adapter and be good to go. Just want to make sure it's safe to do it this way. Here's my super technical wiring schematic.....

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM

That wire diagram looks right to me. You are not getting constant 12v DC power as the distribution block is now "switched" at the relay, only getting power when the bike is on. Not killing the battery when you leave your grips on is a good thing!
Maybe for an accessory plug that's OK, if so it looks like you have room on your block. Cut the big connectors off along with about an inch of wire. Go to the hardware store and match the size and get enough wire and some connectors that will fit your block.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a LOT. Much appreciated. One last thing that I asked a few posts up but didn't get a reply on....

On the positive side of the distribution block, there is a "jumper plate" on the unused side. Should I leave that in place, cut it off only on the connection I'll be using, or take it off completely? See pic below. Thanks again. Piece of mind for sure...

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Thanks a LOT. Much appreciated. One last thing that I asked a few posts up but didn't get a reply on....

On the positive side of the distribution block, there is a "jumper plate" on the unused side. Should I leave that in place, cut it off only on the connection I'll be using, or take it off completely? See pic below. Thanks again. Piece of mind for sure...

IF you are referring to the piece on the LEFT side of the 'block' that comes above it which looks to be on the + side - make DAMNED sure you protect it from 'shorting-out', or you could have a BIG fire right under your a$$ and jewels...! If there's a plastic cover over that area that probably protects it, but looking at the pic again - it appears to me that it's removeable.

I WOULD, however, cover it for protection from 'shorting'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Can I just remove that piece or is it needed for some reason? It's just a "jumper" that bridges those three spare screws....
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

My suggestion is to remove that piece, and the 3 wires, then use your VOM between one-to-another of them to see whether or not they are connected.

That will tell you IF you need that piece (because they have to connect SOMEHOW).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

You have me worried now. Would it be "Safer" to remove that block altogether and have the relay for the grips going to the battery and then ANOTHER relay for the 12v outlet also going to the battery(tapped off a different circuit)?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

If you look at a commercially available fuse-block (I use the FZ-1 myself), you'll see that in normal use all points of contact are covered to obviate the chances of a short circuit.

I think you might be better off with something like that, safety-wise...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

This one?
http://www.cyclenutz.com/Fuzeblock-F...FZ-1_p_92.html

If I get this, I could remove my current relay, "fuse block" and inline fuse and replace it all with this single unit and just wire the grip heaters and 12v outlet into it and be good to go? Almost looks too easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode