Side Play in drive chain? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Side Play in drive chain?

I took my V to my local Kawasaki/Honda dealer to have some maintenance done (17,000 mile valve adjust, etc.). The service mangager just called me and urged me to get my chain and sprockets replaced - "because there is alot of side play in my chain".

My chain and sprockets have very little wear at 17,000 miles. The axel has been adjusted back about 1/4 of its available travel, the play is set correctly, and the sprocket teeth are neither worn nor hooked.

I've been riding motorcycles on and off for about 40 years, and I've never heard of "excessive side play" in a chain!?! The service manual doesn't mention it. Has anyone heard of "side play in a chain" being a way to determine if a chain/sprockets need replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
NOT certainly in 17,000 miles.... Keep your hand on your wallet.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Am I reading this right> have you actually moved the rear wheel back 1/4 of total available movement? If so, that would seem excessive to me.

I determine wear on a chain largely by how much I can pull it back off the rear of the sprocket plus condition of front and rear sprockets (and replacement of the 3 components). The method described in the manual is most accurate but calls for removal and measurement of chain length.

I think that your dealer is basing his opinion on another method: hold a length of the chain in either hand with a gap in between, then move the chain fore and aft in a sideways motion. It is not a very accurate method of judging wear but will show some slack on a worn chain. I would do my own close inspection of chain and both sprockets and make my own decision, but then again, I've done my own maintenance on all my bikes since I was a teen which was way back when we used steam to power our rides.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I just went out and measured a NEW rear sprocket at .236" W, and the space between the CLOSE links at .220" (AND that's on a chain with 42,000 MILES ON IT!). Also just cleaned a section on the ORIGINAL rear sprocket which is STILL on, but reversed once, at nominally the same .236".

That AIN'T a whole lot of side-play...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Also just checked the 'marks' on the swingarm - mine (right side) is back JUST AFT of the third line, and I have ONLY adjusted the chain LESS than 18 flats (6 flats = ONE turn of the adjuster bolt) in that time, so I expect that the axle is near that point from the factory, so 1/4 ain't much....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM

I never heard of checking side play as a wear indicator. There are a couple of check for wear one measure the chain over so many links and as was pointed out the link pull test.

I was taught that when you're adjusting the chain more often than 2-3 times a season it's time to start looking. As it wears faster and faster and soon you're at it weekly. Also check the O-rings if they are missing or torn it's time to retire that chain and sprocket set.

I have a rear sprocket I saved form my KLR to show folks. At first glance it looks fine. BUT hold it up to a new sprocket and it's clearly worn BUT not badly hooked just the valleys are wallowed out. If I'd just slapped a new chain on it I'd been out a chain in about 1/4 the miles I will get by replacing the set.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Am I reading this right> have you actually moved the rear wheel back 1/4 of total available movement? If so, that would seem excessive to me.

I am going by memory. I will check how far back the rear axel is on my V when I get the bike back next week.

I did some further checking on-line. I found a motocrosser maintenance article that metions that if you can push the chain past the side of the front chain guide the chain may need replacing. I'm thinking that method would not apply to a street bike like the V, though. |
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
He's referring to how much the chain can deviate side to side over its length, by pushing it sideways between front and rear sprocket. A chain that is not worn badly, and is in proper adjustment, generally should not move further than the width of the front chain slider.

As long as you're not easily able to touch the side of rear tire with it, it should still be ok.

Last edited by invader; 03-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode