Front wheel removal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front wheel removal?

Ok, I'm a amateur mechanic, What experience has anyone had removing the front wheel. I have the race stands from T-Rex and purchased the large hex for the axle. However what a pain this has been, I thought I could save money on my new tires by removing the wheels myself. The race stand does not work once the axle is removed because it appears the the two blades of the fork do not have the same rebound because only one fork side sits into the stand cradle. Looks like I am going to have to purchase a come-along, because my tie down straps are not adequate to hold the bike up.
any suggestions, more complicated than I anticipated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM

I used the T-Rex fork stand and a coupla ratchet straps thown over the cross piece on a rafter...no problems w/ tire on or off.

Did you have the rear on the T-Rex bobbin stand? Maybe that's the difference. I pulled both wheels for changing w/ this setup. Worked well.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
T-Rex sells a THIRD piece! It attaches to the front stand and goes into the bottom of your steering head so that the front wheel will remove.
Ed

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fast Ed.
I went to the web site and took a look, how does that piece work? I could not tell from the photo, is the end threaded and where exactly does it go, under the bottom fork clamp? I ended up purchasing a webbing wench at Sears for $20 (1000 lb cap.) and raising the front end from the base of the handle bars. My tie down straps were not strong enough and I actually destroyed one of the ratchet buckles. The axle seemed to have a lot more resistance going back in then it did coming out, seems it would be impossible to cross thread as large as the treads are and it is not possible to put it in off angle.
Got my Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on now, if I could get a break in the weather to try out
ks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
T-Rex sells a THIRD piece! It attaches to the front stand and goes into the bottom of your steering head so that the front wheel will remove.
Ed
I already have the front and rear stands so I checked with T-Rex to see about just getting just the adapter and this was their response:

The adapter is also sold separately. Red, silver or black is $60 shipped, $63 for gold galvanized and $65 for chrome. If you like to proceed, send payment via PayPal to [email protected]. Leave us your bike year make and model and color of choice and kindly send us a reminder email after submitting payment.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 AM

Do a search on the site. Loads of suggestions have been made previously.
I offered a simple one using a trolley jack under the footpeg mounting on one side and a brick under the prop-stand.
I have made a dedicated stand as designed and posted by an Israeli member. Brilliant. I have both wheels and forks off currently.
Ted99uk.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 AM

I was able to do mine by lifting the front end and placing automotive jackstands under the ends of the forks. It helped that the rear was already on the rear stand so the bike was stable. I was able to do all of this by myself.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode