leather vs mesh jacket for long distance trips? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
leather vs mesh jacket for long distance trips?

hello,

I'm planning for a 2 months trip in Europe during end summer period...I need to get lost there lol
now I have a leather jacket (fieldsheer aston with upgraded back armor level 2) and I was thinking if it is practical to travel with leather jacket (I want protection over all and hence the leather need)...I have seen people traveling with mesh jackets ... has anyone done a long distance trip wearing leather jacket?? if yes what do you wear under it?

ps: the jacket has CE certification everywhere and it is perforated and has zippers for venting...

thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Garage
I have a solid AStars leather jacket which I have loved for three years. I wore it on a 6 day trip to the Tail of the Dragon last May and the weather was hot the whole time. It also rained 3 of the days, and being in the mountain areas of the BRP we were caught off guard by the rain sometimes.
While I find the jacket comfortable in hot weather with just a cotton t underneath, I find it cumbersome with rain gear too. The leather offers unparallelled protection.
But, lots of good textile jackets also offer very good protection, and weather resistance. So I'm keeping the AStars leather and will use it for a lot of riding, but I have added a Scott textile touring jacket with pants to my gear for long trips. The suit is waterproof and for multi-day rides where there are unkowns in the 2 week forecast, I think the textile touring gear is more practical.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks ATYC.

I have a cortech FSX 2 as well. I just need to take only one (I want to travel light) hence the question of leather vs textile..
I also have a drayko renegade jeans which is the only CE certified motorcycle pants...its drawback is no waterproofing...so I have also a mesh waterproof pants as well...need to decide between the two...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

I have a mesh jacket with a double-liner. One is for warmth, the second is for water resistance. This makes it pretty versatile, especially in conjunction with my heated vest.

I would imagine you could tour with it and be comfortable in a variety of conditions. Adding and removing liners is a bit of a pain, but if luggage space is tight then it might be better than carrying both leather and mesh. I find that in my area (BC) it is still a little too cool except on our hottest days, so I generally use it only for commuting in August.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
For travelling through various weather conditions and elevations and temperature changes, I prefer to have a heated vest liner, quality Mesh jacket, and gore-tex rain gear. Pack light but cover the variables. You could substitute a perforated leather jacket if you are quick about getting that rain gear on. In the summer heat, I won't bother putting the rain gear on. Get cooled off and the mesh dries quickly. Underneath my gear I wear generic 'underarmor' type clothing that wicks and dries quickly. I can carry two sets of 'underarmor' and rinse them in the evening while wearing the other set.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I have a solid AStars leather jacket which I have loved for three years. I wore it on a 6 day trip to the Tail of the Dragon last May and the weather was hot the whole time. It also rained 3 of the days, and being in the mountain areas of the BRP we were caught off guard by the rain sometimes.
While I find the jacket comfortable in hot weather with just a cotton t underneath, I find it cumbersome with rain gear too. The leather offers unparallelled protection.
But, lots of good textile jackets also offer very good protection, and weather resistance. So I'm keeping the AStars leather and will use it for a lot of riding, but I have added a Scott textile touring jacket with pants to my gear for long trips. The suit is waterproof and for multi-day rides where there are unkowns in the 2 week forecast, I think the textile touring gear is more practical.
+1 That about says it all!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Thing with Mesh is most don't protect in case of high speed falls. Most of them are forms or nylon that actually melt with friction. Specially when traveling far from home, I prefer being a bit warm and well protected. I do have a mesh jacket but only wear it when its above 30C, and while riding in the city. For the rest of the time I have my Rukka suit that will offer excellent protection, is waterproof, and warm with the liner installed. So bottomline, I'd either take the leather jacket with a rain coat or buy a good textile jacket with vents. I know some companies make mesh out of kevlar, but those I found really don't look sexy...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to you all.

Indeed, the protection is a must and top priority. the leather jacket I have is perforated in the top for venting, had zippers in the arms and sides for extra venting...so in essence, ventilation should be ok and I can remove the liner for extra cooling and put it back when it is cold...the only downside I see is that it is black....may be I should paint it in a clear color so that I reduce further the heat....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Also keep in mind that mesh/textile jackets really collect the dirt and grime when you're putting on lots of miles. A leather jacket you can just wipe off and it's clean. I realize you might not be concerned about your looks as you aren't at a fashion show, but the textile jacket may get... um... funky with all that dirt and grime.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Garage
Have a mesh

Never had a leather
I'm thinking that a wet leather will take forever to dryout
But keep in mind that I've never experienced that
I've rideen in full downpour and an hour of ridding in sunshine will dry my mesh jacket
For the "funkyness" of the mesh, I wash mine with a pressure washer as needed (usualy once a season)

For the melting of the mesh, weel I have my doubt
I understand that if I'm drag 100 feet, something going to give and it might indeed melt
But if I fall of my bike and bump and roll around, that protection will old nicely
And now, some mesh jacket are made of way more resistant product to melting/abrasion

Further more, you mention that you are going to europe during the summer, I would not worry much about getting cold, maybe a fleece under that mesh could be enough, unless you are going way up north, siberia or the scandinavian country ...

In essence, I like my mesh alot and it's, for me, the only way when the temp is in the 30s celcius

Have a nice trip you lucky bast*rd (my dream to go there to ride western europe)

My 2 cent

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 03-14-2013 at 09:55 AM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM

To me "mesh" means it has perforations rather than vents. Textile means solid material, hopefully with vents. My mesh jacket only gets out for day rides in hot weather. My Textile suit gets out for all other rides, including tours. Versatile, practical, and protective, if it isn't perfect for current conditions, it's not far off. And conditions will change. I wear an Aerostich 2-piece with my street clothes underneath.
You haven't mentioned riding pants, but they are an important part of your protection package.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/c...t-graphic.html

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=15&Itemid=22
These are the only guys I know that make kevlar mesh jackets, but Im not a fan of their designs...

Last edited by Kawa007; 03-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Have a mesh

Never had a leather
I'm thinking that a wet leather will take forever to dryout
But keep in mind that I've never experienced that
I've rideen in full downpour and an hour of ridding in sunshine will dry my mesh jacket
For the "funkyness" of the mesh, I wash mine with a pressure washer as needed (usualy once a season)

For the melting of the mesh, weel I have my doubt
I understand that if I'm drag 100 feet, something going to give and it might indeed melt
But if I fall of my bike and bump and roll around, that protection will old nicely
And now, some mesh jacket are made of way more resistant product to melting/abrasion

Further more, you mention that you are going to europe during the summer, I would not worry much about getting cold, maybe a fleece under that mesh could be enough, unless you are going way up north, siberia or the scandinavian country ...

In essence, I like my mesh alot and it's, for me, the only way when the temp is in the 30s celcius

Have a nice trip you lucky bast*rd (my dream to go there to ride western europe)

My 2 cent

LOP
Thanks...to not add insults to injuries I'm starting my trip from Spain up to Denmark and then going back through eastern Europe all the way down to end up with the coastal road from north west of Italy through south of France then back to Spain ....

now I don't mind sweating if that is the price to obtain a better protection. As I said, end summer the temperature will be a bit cooler and with Fielsheer Aston 2 ventings I should be fine...I just want the piece of mind that I'm wearing the best protection that I can afford...and the leather jacket I have is pretty good quality with stiff leather...

on the pants side, I have the Drayko Renegade Jeans that is the only CE certified jeans in the world that sustain a 60Mph drag for 4,4 secs without injuries....of course I will have to wear knee protection and even more...I do have also the River Road Taos Textile Pants that I will need to take with me as well (the Drayko jeans folds perfecty in a small place!).

after the photos posted hereunder...I will stick to leather...I still think it is much stronger than the cortech FSX 2 that I have...plus I fitted the SAS tec back protector Level 2...I will just need to paint in to reduce the heat that the black color usually generates....

Thanks!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
hello,

I'm planning for a 2 months trip in Europe during end summer period...I need to get lost there lol
now I have a leather jacket (fieldsheer aston with upgraded back armor level 2) and I was thinking if it is practical to travel with leather jacket (I want protection over all and hence the leather need)...I have seen people traveling with mesh jackets ... has anyone done a long distance trip wearing leather jacket?? if yes what do you wear under it?

ps: the jacket has CE certification everywhere and it is perforated and has zippers for venting...

thanks

See the sections on jackets, abrasion resistance and leather vs mesh
http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...parel_Overview

Last edited by twowheels; 03-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/c...t-graphic.html

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=15&Itemid=22
These are the only guys I know that make kevlar mesh jackets, but Im not a fan of their designs...

Read the thread

Have to admit that it is troubling !

But I would have like to know if it's the mesh that failed or the stiches. And we have to be honest, that was not a simple fall, I wonder if any jacket would have resulted in no injuries

My jacket (it's a 4-5 years old powertrip) have a big diameter fibre wooven together, I can't beleive that it could rip appart "just like that". The stiches, that's another stories ...

And on a different note, I wouldn't be able to ride in a leather jacket or a textile jacket in the summer, way to hot. So for me, a mesh makes a big difference and and is way better than a simple t-shirt

Tonight, I will look at what kind on fibre is use in my jacket and report back

Cheers

LOP
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM

I just ordered a Forcefield Pro Shirt and am looking at the draggin jeans kevlar shirt:
http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductI...d=DACCESSORY_2

For me, no weather is too hot to justify avoidable skin grafts. If it's too hot for minimal protection I'll stay home, and that rarely happens, as I prefer sweating then not riding.

It's only once in the hospital that we realize how a few hundred bucks would have saved us a lot of pain and money.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
When it's REALLY hot, soak a tee-shirt then wear it under your textile jacket. At 110F that kept me comfortable for around 2 hours, then re-soaked it. Repeat as necessary.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

or simply a perforated clear color leather jacket

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Here's what I ordered this morning will keep you posted:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-pro-shirt

Fabric is supposed to help evacuate sweat and keep you cool, while keep you warm in cold weather. Also what I like most about this is I'm going to remove all armor in my jacket and use these instead they have better chances of being in the right place in case of a crash. And on very hot days, I'll just put on a kevlar shirt on top.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Excellent buy according to the description....let us know how you find it...I will be tempted to buy it as well but I will buy it from LD Mountain Centre that sell it for only 237 USD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode