(Still) Sick Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Still) Sick Versys

Hello. I have a 2008 Versys, and a long story (booooo!). Let's begin at the beginning. :-)

I was on a ride (in some past century it feels like) where the (small) group I was riding with stopped for a break. Once we went back to suiting up, I tried to fire up the V in the normal fashion and .... nothing happened (okay, Douglas Adams does it better). So, I put it in neutral, rolled down the road on leg power, popped it into 1st, and dumped the clutch. Pow, back up and running.

Okay, I guess the battery needed more juice. We made it about 1 mile down the road, then I lost everything electrical -- no lights, no running engine, no headlight, no blinkers. Alrighty then. I signaled that I have issues and rolled to a safe stop. One of the guys went to town and bought a new battery. Once it was installed, the bike fired right up and I rode straight home.

Later, I ran through some diagnostics and found one of the stator windings, along with one of the circuits of the regulator/rectifier, bad. I took some time taking the bike apart, replacing the parts, checking the wiring for issues (didn't find anything obvious). I even did some pm work like changing the oil (which automatically happens when you swap the stator, btw), replacing common gaskets, checking the valves (intake was a bit tight but serviceable, exhaust was better -- I adjusted all to a comfortable spec), flushing the radiator, touching up rust spots on the underside of the gas tank, replacing the throttle cables, and other such items. Once all was done, I replaced the fuel, added some Seafoam (don't know if it does anything, but I like to think it at least doesn't do any harm), and test ran the bike around. I didn't see any issues.

A month or two later I took the bike out for a real ride. Once I got to the meeting spot, I had to wait around for a bit so I turned the bike off and went to get some coffee. Once the ride was getting underway, I turned the bike on and noticed the headlight wasn't working. Crap. Pulled it all apart and eventually found the little grey box under the seat post (which is just a bunch of start-up relays) had a bad relay. My brother ran me up to the parts store where I bought a suitable relay and we wired it in remotely, along with a circuit breaker to hopefully prevent the stator from getting destroyed again. (We had access to the wiring diagrams, thanks to KVF!!) The headlight started working again, but it was so late I just wanted to get home.

On the way home, the headlight flickered several times (it was getting dark) but the bike made it all the way home under it's own power, including a moment when I turned it off and started it up again after a stop. To this day, I go out and start the bike every other week or so, but once it gets going, the lights will flicker and it makes strange, quiet, backfire-sounding noises. Or maybe it's better described as hesitation?

My best guess at this point it it's related to some electrical issue (read: fuel injector), but I can't quite track it down. It might be related to the home brew circuitry we put in or the fact that the circuit breaker has a mechinal switch (rocker) sticking out the side that might be bouncing around and getting momentarily switched off, but I can't prove it either way. At this point, I'm starting to think about ripping out all of the harnesses and checking each one for breaks/shorts with a fine-toothed comb.

I doubt anyone has a similar story, but I thought I'd throw this out there for that rare 1/(1 x 10^6) chance that someone else might have had this problem.

Thanks for reading.

p.s. Sorry, grammar nazis, for any mixed tenses I might have missed.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM

Garage
Wow that's some story, good luck is the best I can do.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Wow...obviously the burnt stator was a symptom...not the problem. Good luck

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Time for a new V man...........That ones haunted!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Wow that's some story, good luck is the best I can do.
Thanks. I'm gonna need it. My ancient XJ600 never gave me this much trouble, but then again, it was never as much fun to ride either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Wow...obviously the burnt stator was a symptom...not the problem. Good luck
I agree -- it's one of those things you figure out in hindsight. I had my suspicions there was another problem. That is why I took all that time to do pm work and check everything out. Can't check it all, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Time for a new V man...........That ones haunted!!!
My mother-in-law told my wife (I think my brain just exploded) that "those things [referring to motorcycles] never go back together right". Maybe I should have believed her. Hmmm, I have kinda been looking at those (new, to us) Honda CBR-250s, or maybe I'll just get a Weestrom.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode