OEM Heated Grip Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OEM Heated Grip Question

I've installed OEM heated grips on my 2011. They power up, but the lower red LED flashes and the grips do not heat. I've got a call in to the mother ship for an answer, but I thought I would check in here also. There was no operations manual with the grips, only the install guide.

Thanks for your help.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry can't help with your OEM question but for anyone thinking about installing heated grips check out the Oxford heated grips. The kit with digital heat controller is $80. Had them for a year on previous bike and they worked very well. Also easy to install as all connections have plugs.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Tony, when you press the button all the lights should light up and the grips are on high. Progressive pushes lower the heat until it turns off.

Since I have had no issues with mine it is difficult for me to guess what might be going on with yours. You wired them up with the OEM relay?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Tony, when you press the button all the lights should light up and the grips are on high. Progressive pushes lower the heat until it turns off.

Since I have had no issues with mine it is difficult for me to guess what might be going on with yours. You wired them up with the OEM relay?
Yes, we did wire it to the OEM relay. The OEM power outlet is connected to the same relay. I'll go back to the shop and mess with it some more. Does the engine have to be running or anything like that?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Yes, we did wire it to the OEM relay. The OEM power outlet is connected to the same relay. I'll go back to the shop and mess with it some more. Does the engine have to be running or anything like that?
I believe the engine does have to be running to put out enough amps for the unit. I'm riding the Versys today so I will confirm and report back this evening.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I believe the engine does have to be running to put out enough amps for the unit. I'm riding the Versys today so I will confirm and report back this evening.
You are correct. I got the ops manual from Kawasaki and I think my battery volts are too low to get the heaters to work. That's an easy fix. Just start the engine.

Thanks for helping me out with this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
You are correct. I got the ops manual from Kawasaki and I think my battery volts are too low to get the heaters to work. That's an easy fix. Just start the engine.

Thanks for helping me out with this.
You're welcome. Glad it is working for you. Definitely needed mine on the ride today.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode