Air compressors and tire pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air compressors and tire pressure

Hi everyone.

I've been searching the web for quite awhile tonight and am getting pretty obsessed about tire pressure. And I'm not going to ask what pressures you guys are running; I have a noobie question. I apologize if this is an easy answer/solution as I have a tendency to over-think things.

Do you guys have a small, electric air compressor or something in your garages and/or homes that makes it easy to top off your tires if they're a tad bit low? I was looking online and saw some pretty cool compressors which will fill your tires to a preset psi. They only range from $30-75 which isn't that bad, I think. I'm not talking portable ones either. I don't have a power socket on my V and don't feel like hooking the portable Slime compressor (which I realized tonight I should probably get for long trips) to the battery unless I have a flat on the side of the road.

Or is it just as easy to have a decent tire gauge and head to the nearest gas station? Should i assume most people have a power socket on their Versys and use portable compressors? What does everyone do? Does a hand/bike pump do the trick if you only need a couple psi?

Thanks in advance-

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfred View Post
Hi everyone.

I've been searching the web for quite awhile tonight and am getting pretty obsessed about tire pressure. And I'm not going to ask what pressures you guys are running; I have a noobie question. I apologize if this is an easy answer/solution as I have a tendency to over-think things.

Do you guys have a small, electric air compressor or something in your garages and/or homes that makes it easy to top off your tires if they're a tad bit low? I was looking online and saw some pretty cool compressors which will fill your tires to a preset psi. They only range from $30-75 which isn't that bad, I think. I'm not talking portable ones either. I don't have a power socket on my V and don't feel like hooking the portable Slime compressor (which I realized tonight I should probably get for long trips) to the battery unless I have a flat on the side of the road.

Or is it just as easy to have a decent tire gauge and head to the nearest gas station? Should i assume most people have a power socket on their Versys and use portable compressors? What does everyone do? Does a hand/bike pump do the trick if you only need a couple psi?

Thanks in advance-

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I have this one in the garage for the cars,bikes,etc,etc. http://www.mygofer.com/shc/s/p_10175...=31-89741147-2 I keep this one on the bike with a tire plug kit and good tire guage. http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/ I have (4) 12Voutlets on my bike so plugging in is not a problem.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-06-2013 at 11:52 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM

Garage
I have a small compressor, plugs into the lighter port on the car. I use that at home.

I also have a small purpose made foot pump about the size of a coffee cup that I pack on tours with my plug kit.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 AM

Check pressures while the tires are cold to get accurate reading. Yes I use a compressor in my garage.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 AM

I have a Silca floor pump. It's a high volume bicycle pump, but 10-20 pumps and I can add 10psi to the rear tire on my Versys. PLUS it's good for the old ticker!

I have found a small Slime compressor that I think I can fit under the seat along with a mushroom plug kit, I plug to get home and either patch from the inside or replace the tire as soon as I can.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM

I've been jonsing for an air compressor since I got my V last year. My family was nice and bought me a 7gal Craftsman. It's a bit of an overkill, but it will certainly get any air related job done that I need doing.

When I got my V last July I was always having to top off the air. I would lose a couple of psi per week. Now that I have the air compressor my pressure hasn't dropped a pound in over three months so my nice new air compressor just sits there collecting dust.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Small air compressor at home, mini foot pump on trips, but what made the difference is the angled tire valve which makes pumping a breeze.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM

I use nitrogen in all of my bike and car tires. Luckily it is one of the things we sell at work so I keep a cylinder in the back of my SUV all the time for checking tire pressures at home when they're cold.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfred View Post
...Do you guys have a small, electric air compressor or something in your garages and/or homes that makes it easy to top off your tires if they're a tad bit low?...Or is it just as easy to have a decent tire gauge and head to the nearest gas station? Should i assume most people have a power socket on their Versys and use portable compressors? What does everyone do? Does a hand/bike pump do the trick if you only need a couple psi?...
I have a 20 gallon "Snap-On" compressor in the garage (cost $200 at Costco...). Once you have one, you'll find uses for it (REMOVING the counter-shaft-sprocket nut, for instance) other than filling tires, and, in fact, I have TWO - one each in AZ and BC.

On EACH of my Vs I carry Slime 12v pumps for long trips, and emergencies.

Oh - and IF you don't like excess noise, DO NOT get an "oil-less" compressor!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM

I use a 5 gal. Husky compressor. (Home depot special) Anyway, I do not trust the gage on my tire fillin' adapter for the compressor. It's usually right but, I always use a another gage to confirm the reading. I had a small cigarette lighter plug in type that would stop on a pre-set pressure. It was always wrong and required pressure to be bled off when read with a separate gage.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Yes, check your tire pressure regularly.

For the garage I have a small 110v air compressor I found on Amazon. Good for moto tires and much handier than a foot pump when filling pickup truck tires. I also have one of http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S506-Dual-Inflator-Gauge/dp/B0002SRL20/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1362675039&sr=8-6&keywords=tire+pressure+inflation+gauge which gives you a pressure reading while the chuck is still on the valve...very convenient.

I carry a 12v compressor on the bike. Mine has a nifty plug that adjusts to fit BMW/Powerlet style outlets as well as SAE cigarette lighter outlets. I still haven't needed this for myself on the road (touch wood) but I've helped out fellow riders and damsels in distress on several occasions. Wally World usually has small 12v compressors and you can remove the plastic cover if you want to pack it small. Just keep in mind that compressors get HOT when working (compressing any gas gives off heat) so don't burn yourself or whatever the compressor is resting on if you remove the plastic cover.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

I suppose I should have mentioned as well, that I park the bike in a single car garage in the back of my place, with my car in front of my building on the street during the warmer seasons. Therefore, I don't have a car within 10 ft of me to easily fill up the tires if the power source of the compressor was strictly 12V. It makes sense from the replies though that those larger compressors that run from your car can be quite handy if you park in the same vacinity.

I think I'm going to go with one of these from Lowe's, and pick up one of the small 12v Slime compressors for stow-away on the bike.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Mandatory on every bike I had is a cigarette type adapter for powering cellphone and pumps, tire pump and a plug kit.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Tire gauge

If you use something like this you get a direct pressure reading and there is a button that you can push to bleed down the air pressure and see what pressure is in the tire.
The gauge on this one has been modified to a very low pressure reading (0-15 PSI) atv tires, a new one will come with a big gauge. Wal mart (I think) about $20.
Cb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	17562  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM

You may want to consider something with a small tank, like this from Menard's (or wherever; Menards just happened to have what I'm talking about in the same price range). They're not as convenient for inflation purposes, not having the digital control and all, but they allow you to use them to power a blower nozzle (for a few seconds, anyway) or a small air tool. Little more money, but a lot more versatile IMO.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Have a small compressor that plugs into the power ( 240V here) which pumps up car/bikes tyres and used for other small uses, also have a small 12 volt with clips to plug onto a battery for any real long isolated trips on bikes or if my wife takes horse to some event out in the middle of nowhere.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I was told to be gentle with my tire gauge by the Dunlop guy at San Mateo show. He said they are delicate and can read wrong after multiple drops. He said, don't just throw it in the top box where it knocks around,wrap it in something.

I plan to follow that advice.

I just picked up the Kobalt, works well enough for me.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM

In the garage at home, I have an 11 gallon air tank I keep full. This is only for topping off tires. If I need air, I can always go to the local gas station and pay my quarters for a top up.

I also have a Motopump I keep under he seat. It is a small hand held compressor just for bikes. I keep a plug kit on the bike at all times including those Co2 cylinders for emergencies. I am cheap, so I end up going to a corner store or gas station that has the air pump.

I do have a compressor at work and a tire machine so I can change or repair my own tires. Its a nice side benefit.

This is my latest acquisition. A Tire Pressure Monitor made out of Brass and calibrated.

Just for bragging rights.

David
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM

This got me to thinking about how much using a bicycle pump can be a pain. So I went on-line to Sears, I happen to have a $100.00 gift card , and found a 2 gal unit for $60.00, on sale. Stopping by today to pick one up. I don't think I could use it to feed a paint gun BUT at 100 psi I bet it'll help to knock the counter shaft nut off when I change out sprockets.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I use nitrogen in all of my bike and car tires. Luckily it is one of the things we sell at work so I keep a cylinder in the back of my SUV all the time for checking tire pressures at home when they're cold.

I use an 80% nitrogen blend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode