Front Suspension Leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front Suspension Leak

Hi All,

Just been in my garage and noticed that there is a small puddle of oil beneath the front forks of my Versys and on closer inspection it appears that Oil is slowly leaking from the rubber ring on the upside down forks. I have donw nearly 12,000 miles on this bike. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I am presumming that it is not a major problem and the seals just need replacing. It is due for a service so am going to ring the dealer now and book it in.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 AM

The seals should last for years, and only leak because of a reason. Is it one side or both? There is normally a drain screw near the axle, is it leaking?

A knock to the exposed leg can dent it, or scrape some chrome off, or even slightly bend the leg. Sand can get in there and scratch a seal, but that's unlikely.

Make sure your dealer checks for what caused thge leak and does a complete fix.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 AM

look closely for dings...you can stone off a ding with a sharpening stone, or use a business card to polish off a rough area. take too much off and you'll have a permanent leak, though...go easy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Unusual that it would happen at 12k.

Had it happen to me once, but it was over 50k miles.

Get both done at the same time and take care when riding before you get it done. The fork oil can get on the front disc and it severely diminishes the performance-I can tell you first hand.

Machog
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM

12k is nothing if still under warrenty take it back,even if it isn't take back and lodge a written complant with the dealer to go to Kawasaki,those seal should last YEARS

AMA EAA STN
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
run a very thin piece of plastic (like old 35mm film) under the seal all the way around the leg if there is no obvious damage to the surface. the plastic will dislodge debris stuck on the seal. old dirt rider trick and pretty effective.
35mm film is harder to find now, but the new plastic packaging that's covers almost everything now and is such a pain to open works well...thin enough, but still substantial enough to form fit around the forks.

Still, on a street bike, I wouldn't expect blown fork seals unless you're using the bike to do Evel Knievel stuff. If the oil loss is minimal, give it a quick cleaning and if that works, you're good. Otherwise, it should be a warranty item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM

well if the fork is anything like bicycle suspension forks (and i bet it is). there are actually 2 maybe 3 seals down there. the one you see is dedicated to just wiping the crap off the stanchions of the fork there is one above that seal that actually keeps the oil in the fork. sometimes there is a foam ring seal in between that is used to keep oil lubricating the bottom exposed seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode