Off roading on sport touring tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Off roading on sport touring tires

I have been hitting some gravel trails with my Bridgestone 023s sport touring tires. After a ride I noticed some very small nicks in the rear tire. Probably from sharp gravel rocks. Is this a problem? Not sure if I should continue to do trails with these tires? (But it's so much fun!) My next set of tires is definitely going to be dual-sport.

Cheers!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I rode LOTS of dirt on tires like yours before I put Tourance's on. At night I would put a bit of water onto the "cuts" to check if they were bubbling.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I rode LOTS of dirt on tires like yours before I put Tourance's on. At night I would put a bit of water onto the "cuts" to check if they were bubbling.
Cool. How did the Tourances feel compared to the sport touring tires?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
MTS

That comes with the gravel! On any tire if you go over 40 mph it will start to chip the rubber away!

Dirt is a whole different story!

Bottom line = its worth it!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgoods View Post
Cool. How did the Tourances feel compared to the sport touring tires?
I really like them, but, as I posted just after I put the front (a 130/80 x 17 REAR) Tourance on - initially it feels very HEAVY, as if you CAN'T turn, but after about 100 miles I stopped noticing it. I corner pretty aggressively on pavement, though I have NOT dragged foot-pegs on the Tourances!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM

Re: Off roading on sport touring tires

Pirelli scorpion trails. They come in the correct size, they are a good compromise on dirt, and I did scrape a peg on the road.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
+1 on the Scorpions. I think they match the bikes design intent and capabilities well. They are essentially a sport touring tires with a deeper, more aggressive tread. Scorpion calls them a 95% street/ 5% dirt tire. I find they are 2x better on dirt without a noticeable reduction in pavement grip - as long as you do not push much more than say ~140% of posted speed on a twisty road. What ever tires you get I would stick with stock sizes to avoid negatively impacting steering feel and handling. Recommend pressures are 32/36psi but airing down a bit can help a bit on dirt and gravel just so long as you remember to air up again on pavement to avoid accelerated wear.

Suspension is just as important as tires IMO. With the suspension set up for the street the V will rattle your fillings on a rough dirt/gravel road. Cycle world did some testing on the V and recommended setting preload and rebound to 0 for dirt and gravel. I find it dramatically improves ride, handling and top speed on dirt and gravel surfaces but makes the bike wallow a bit, and just feel less planted, when I corner on pavement, particularly at higher speeds. I notice most high end adventure bikes now switch the suspension electronically but you can do this with the included tool kit in 5min.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-25-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode