Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

One headlight.

9K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  oliverider 
#1 ·
Hi,new here brand new bike. Is just one of the headlight supposed to be operational during riding? When I turn on the high beam both are operational.

#4 ·
:welcome: Some do I Don't....

#5 ·
I use high beam only at night and when there are no incoming traffic. At day time only low beam, no need for high beam if you ask me. (I notice high beam even in day time on many cars.)
They are same brightness, but low beam illuminates lets say 30 meters in front of you, but high beam light can iluminate 100 meter, and than you blind incoming traffic, specialy at night.

If you are worried about blinding incoming traffic just adjust lights like this and you will be OK.

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes, I really don't like the bikes that run with High beam ON all the time, just to be visible.
I installed bi-xenon projectors so I have 2 low beam that can run all the time, both left and right, and double high-beam when needed.
With the right adjustment and cut-off.

For visibility I added LED angel eyes and LED strips.

Attachments

#8 ·
Normal, but strange indeed. Probably a money saving thing. My Concours had both lights illuminated all the time, high or low beam.

My '11 Versys had the stacked headlight so it didn't look odd to have the highbeam light out when just on low beam.

Not a fan of the offset lights on bikes. Something about symmetry I guess.

The reflector at the back of the light housing determines how far the lights show down the road, and the cutoff for low beam so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

#10 ·
There have been studies that show that running high beams during the day can actually be more dangerous. Since the high beams create two lights side by side, it can make a person ahead perceive that it's a car with the two headlights, and they appear further away than they actually are. This causing the person to possibly pull out in front of you because of perception of you being a car further away. I'm not explaining it very good, but look it up.

#11 ·
Could you please post a link? I ask because I use a headlight modulator on my high beam and ... always run with both beams ON during daytime riding. The objective is conspicuity, contrast, etc.

#12 ·
I have a Kisan Electronics - pathBlazer P115W-H7 (headlight modulator) hooked up behind my high beam bulb. It has an external daylight sensor. It's 50 State legal.

During the daylight, if I have the high beam switch turned on, the high beam headlight bulb strobes to get the cager's attention. The unit is programmable.

At night, it functions as your standard high beam headlight.

Product page:
https://kisantech.com/p115w-h7.html

Legal page:
https://kisantech.com/regulations.html

#16 · (Edited)
Kisan pathBlazer P115W-H7

I have a Kisan Electronics - pathBlazer P115W-H7 (headlight modulator) hooked up behind my high beam bulb. It has an external daylight sensor. It's 50 State legal.

During the daylight, if I have the high beam switch turned on, the high beam headlight bulb strobes to get the cager's attention. The unit is programmable.

At night, it functions as your standard high beam headlight.

Product page:
https://kisantech.com/p115w-h7.html

Legal page:
https://kisantech.com/regulations.html

That same unit has been installed on mine since 2016. :thumb:

#23 ·
I run on LOW beam, but I have added TWO lights below, and to each side to make a 'light-triangle' (much like a train engine has) to make me MORE visible, night AND day! Here's some pics of what I did.

DSC09845 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6061867 2 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

#25 ·
#24 ·
Brighter is not always better (my opinion).
When a bike is coming toward me with high beam ON, I cannot look at it, so I avoid looking in its direction (even during the day).
The negative? If the bike changes direction in front of me, I cannot see it.

I personally think light needs to be responsibly added on the bike, and NOT to blind the drivers. Too many riders use the high beam always ON....
Daylight running lights (that are made specially NOT to blind), Hi-viz helmet, Hi-viz gear, headlight modulator (if legal and needed) and careful riding is much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.