Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Bent fork, for real

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Beezerboy 
#1 ·
So, this happened .... while SO was riding. Hit a large hole on a sharp corner and brought the bike down.

Wheel is toast....

Mudgard does not line up.

Obviously I need a new wheel along with a new tire, but I'm looking for suggestions on whether to rebuild the fork (if possible) or just go with a used one and replace the seals and call it done. Also, how much is reasonable to correct this... issue.

This is a 2009 with 15k on the odometer.

FYI, wife suffered leg contusions when the bike landed on her leg. It dragged her a small distance and wore through her riding pants so she suffered some road rash on the left leg, otherwise no real serious injuries. We rode the bike 60+ miles home, surprisingly.

She's a tough cookie and the wife too. ;-)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks Fastoman, the quick ebay search seemed a bit pricy for what is needed. Could also be a pig in a poke. I'm leaning towards new parts if it isn't too damaged inside. If I can get away with tube and bushings/seals, I'll count myself lucky.

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your fall but happy to see that you have and your wife made it without too much injury.
A used fork would be the easiest route but the fork tube could also be swapped. The "chromed" fork tube is usually usually screwed into the bottom "casting" portion that holds the axle, calipers, fender, etc. Heating the bottom portion with a torch usually permits you to unscrew the fork tube.
I say "usually" because I have never dismantled a Kawaski fork tube... but Honda, etc. are set up that way. I can't imagine Kawasaki being different.

Fast from the Past and other companies sell fork tubes.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks quexpress. swapping the tube only is only marginally cheaper than buying unit from Kawasaki, so I'm looking to go that route. Your link to the fastfromthepast.com site has all of the years except 2009, not sure if that is an oversight or if there is something different. I know that is when there was a transition to ABS, so that may be the reason.

#4 ·
I'd also check for interchangeability with Gen 2 and 3 in hopes of finding a low-mileage, straight, set from a wreck if they're compatible. Whichever way you go, be sure to read up on how to minimize fork "stiction" before installing the forks. It can make a world of difference if you take that into account, and most or maybe all maintenance manuals don't address it.

#8 ·
Doug, that makes sense. I'll look into it. And also stiction. Debating whether to rebuild the RH side as well, now that I've both been pulled. How much harder can it be to do? :smile2:

#6 ·
Here is the exploded view.

If I can get away with #44013, best outcome. Adding in #44023, starts to move the needle into uncomfortable territory. If I need #4408 or equivalent (spring, spacer, etc) then I've paid a similar price for one brand new LH as I would for a used LH/RH pair. Not sure what I would do with the RH anyway, unless it doesn't make sense to rebuild one and not the other.

Also, can anyone recommend what tools I might need to disassemble/rebuild the LH side?

#9 ·
#15 ·
Fast (any one else). I contacted these guys, and they seemed pretty helpful. So if this happens to someone else, they should seriously check them out. You'll have to ship your wheel and it takes about 10 days give or take with shipping.

#16 ·
Thanks Robin, I'm fine, as usual. ;-) It was the "Mrs." who went down on the blue bike. She still has some swelling occassionally on the left leg, but it about 90% there.

Still in the process of putting it all back together. I'll update the thread, with new info as it comes along

#17 ·
near as I could tell when researching wheels a few years ago is that they are the same except for spoke patterns and rotors. I built up a second set of wheels to run TKCs & used Ninja wheels. the Gen 3 Versys has different rotors than G1 and G2. within groups they interchange directly, so early Ninja and early Versys are a direct interchange but look different. in 2016 when I was doing this there was only the G3 Versys wheels, but the only difference was the rotors. I bought a set of rotors & it worked. at that time there were no aftermarket rotors either (for G3). I lucked up and got an OEM set from a wreck

Reactions: quexpress
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.