Stuck choke - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stuck choke

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-actuator.html

Follow up from the last post

Basically, choke gets a bit stuck sometimes.

Dealer advised to spray graphite lube and said nothing much they can do about it.

Spraying itself is a bit tricky because the whole thing is located in awkward place and I cant even put some cloth to catch any excess.

Weather is getting warmer but it still plays sometimes mid ride even in dry conditions

So yeah, any other suggestions besides binning the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Fast Idle

I know you have a 2010. My 2015 exhibits something similar, it is something with the ECU. Say I am riding along at 80KM/HR , I suddenly need to stop, instead of engine braking I downshift and maintain roughly 2500 RPM , right until I am at a full stop. I pull in the clutch and am using the brakes. I look at the tach and it is at 2000 RPM, motor is at or above 190'F . Initialy I thoughtbthe stuck thing. So at 80 KM/HR I just pulled in the clutch and coasted, no throttle all the time at 2000 RPM. I went further , I did this at a full stop, in 1st gear, let the clutch out then pulled it in, at 2000 RPM, by almost stalling it it dropped to 1500 RPM. So next test was to purposely slow down in gear with the clutch out and reduced throttle, every time I did this it was at 1500 RPM at idle. So I went further. I maintained above 2000 RPM for more than 10 seconds, then pulled the clutch in, it stayed at 2000 RPM . My theory is the ECU has a minimum low RPM set / fuel map after what is considered sustained speed to do with the oxygen sensor. Does your bike have a oxygen sensor?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I know you have a 2010. My 2015 exhibits something similar, it is something with the ECU. Say I am riding along at 80KM/HR , I suddenly need to stop, instead of engine braking I downshift and maintain roughly 2500 RPM , right until I am at a full stop. I pull in the clutch and am using the brakes. I look at the tach and it is at 2000 RPM, motor is at or above 190'F . Initialy I thoughtbthe stuck thing. So at 80 KM/HR I just pulled in the clutch and coasted, no throttle all the time at 2000 RPM. I went further , I did this at a full stop, in 1st gear, let the clutch out then pulled it in, at 2000 RPM, by almost stalling it it dropped to 1500 RPM. So next test was to purposely slow down in gear with the clutch out and reduced throttle, every time I did this it was at 1500 RPM at idle. So I went further. I maintained above 2000 RPM for more than 10 seconds, then pulled the clutch in, it stayed at 2000 RPM . My theory is the ECU has a minimum low RPM set / fuel map after what is considered sustained speed to do with the oxygen sensor. Does your bike have a oxygen sensor?
There is no O2 sensor but I've been riding without it for last 1.5 years and the problem started occurring during winter with all the heavy rain, gravel and salt on road.

I also cought it few times, it would get stuck on 2k rpm, I would wiggle chock and it then drops down to normal.

I would like to believe it would be just missing O2 sensor but I don't think it is

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonas View Post
There is no O2 sensor but I've been riding without it for last 1.5 years and the problem started occurring during winter with all the heavy rain, gravel and salt on road.

I also cought it few times, it would get stuck on 2k rpm, I would wiggle chock and it then drops down to normal.

I would like to believe it would be just missing O2 sensor but I don't think it is
This is only a valid argument on a closed loop system. Only motorcycles in the UK offered oxygen sensors on pre MK-3 bikes. It came to Canada in 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode