adjusting chain on paddock stand - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
kardan, I think you're technically supposed to set your sag via the preload adjuster so that the bike does not squat more than necessary when you (and your passenger, luggage, etc) sit on it. That would be the equalizer for chain tension.

Granted, it's not described anywhere in the manual, nor is the desired sag, so it's still just a theory But a rider that weighs 70kg and one that weights 120kg should, in principle, have the same stationary chain slack if the preload (or even spring rate) is set for their weight properly.
Yea, when you load hard motorbike also need to adjust rear shock absorber.(I didn't touch that, how is set when I get motorbike it is same now.)
But again my service guy ask me do I ride alone of with passenger before he start to adjust chain. (I was going on 1600km tour , maybe is that reason)

They are official service for Kawasaki since 1984. So I think that they really know why adjust chain while you are on motorbike.

I don't know.
I adjust chain at home on rear paddock stand, set 30-32mm slack and that is it. In 12 000km I need to adjust chain only 2 times.

On next service I will ask them to adjust my chain, so I will see how much slack will be when I get home from service, when I am off bike, on bike, on side stand and or rear paddock stand. Just first to solve this corona so I can visit service for regular service at 12 000km. Than I will see how much is difference in slack in this 4 position.

I think that is irrelevant how you adjust chain slack, he just need to be between 25 and 35mm.
quexpress and foxpro like this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kardan; Yesterday at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Today, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post
My service guy told me that you need to adjust chain slack while you sitting on motorbike....
I will NOW quote the SERVICE MANUAL for my Gen 3 (V650): very slightly different wording from the OWNER'S MANUAL, but NOT in any significant area!

Check the slack with the motorcycle setting on its side stand - notice it does NOT say with rider on board, as how in hell would you DO that?

Check the wheel alignment...

Rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain is TIGHTEST. My capitalization.

Measure the vertical movement (chain slack) midway between the sprockets.

If the chain slack exceeds the standard, adjust it.

Then it says: Chain Slack - Standard: 25 - 35 mm (1.0 - 1.4 in.)

As the chain's TIGHTEST point is when the center-lines of the counter-shaft sprocket, rear sprocket, and swing-arm are ALL in a straight line, by trying to set the slack w/ riders on board (those pesky three points CLOSER to inline as you "do it", you WILL end up w/ TOO MUCH slack!

I fail to understand WHY so many try to make a simple procedure into something difficult to near-impossible...!

foxpro likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; Today at 03:03 PM.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Today, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I will NOW quote the SERVICE MANUAL for my Gen 3 (V650): very slightly different wording from the OWNER'S MANUAL, but NOT in any significant area!

Check the slack with the motorcycle setting on its side stand - notice it does NOT say with rider on board, as how in hell would you DO that?

Check the wheel alignment...

Rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain is TIGHTEST. My capitalization.

Measure the vertical movement (chain slack) midway between the sprockets.

If the chain slack exceeds the standard, adjust it.

Then it says: Chain Slack - Standard: 25 - 35 mm (1.0 - 1.4 in.)

As the chain's TIGHTEST point is when the center-lines of the counter-shaft sprocket, rear sprocket, and swing-arm are ALL in a straight line, by trying to set the slack w/ riders on board (those pesky three points CLOSER to inline as you "do it", you WILL end up w/ TOO MUCH slack!

I fail to understand WHY so many try to make a simple procedure into something difficult to near-impossible...!

I do that only when I visit service.(sitting on motorbike while service guy checking chain slack)

I use only rear paddock stand at home for adjusting chain, after adjusting I move bike little by little so be shure that is also ok when is on side stand.
Check alignment with alignment tool.
Tight everything, lube chain and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
That is my weak spot I know to make something what is very simple to be much complicated.
onewizard likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode