Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Should you be able to take key out with ignition on?

I have recently replaced and cut a new key because old ones are all bent and getting stuck.

However, now I noticed that I can very easily pull the key out with ignition on. Is that something you are normally should be able to do or not? I am slightly worried now of losing a key mid ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
ON normal operation , you should not be able to take key Out. It's not just about losing a key but the ignition will be alive and drain battery. It may not be you key problem , but the ignition thimble might be worn out.

How old is your bike and where did you make the replacement key. If the key is not made to standard grove then it might be the problem.
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by Fastoman; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonas View Post
I have recently replaced and cut a new key because old ones are all bent and getting stuck.

However, now I noticed that I can very easily pull the key out with ignition on. Is that something you are normally should be able to do or not? I am slightly worried now of losing a key mid ride
Turn it on, put the key in your pocket, and go for a ride.
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
ON normal operation , you should not be able to take key Out. It's not just about losing a key but the ignition will be alive and drain battery. It may not be you key problem , but the ignition thimble might be worn out.

How old is your bike and where did you make the replacement key. If the key is not made to standard grove then it might be the problem.
Thanks for confirming that.

Bike is 2010. I got original blank Kawasaki key and got a copy made at shop Timpsons in uk.

You are right, I've tried it with original and it cant be pulled out from ON position

I only have 1 original key and one copy (the one that can be removed with the ignition on). The locksmith at the shop said he wasn't sure if he can make a good copy because original is quite bent but still working (with some struggle). I guess he failed to make a good copy after all

So any suggestions how to get a good copy if original isnt in the best shape?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Turn it on, put the key in your pocket, and go for a ride.
As funny as it sounds, I think I may need to do that on long trips

I normally put on tank bag which definatly blocks the view of ignition so I will live in constant fear if I cant see if its still there or not
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Bike is 2010. I got original blank Kawasaki key and got a copy made at shop Timpsons in uk.

You are right, I've tried it with original and it cant be pulled out from ON position

I only have 1 original key and one copy (the one that can be removed with the ignition on). The locksmith at the shop said he wasn't sure if he can make a good copy because original is quite bent but still working (with some struggle). I guess he failed to make a good copy after all

Only option , i can think of is to remove bend from original key as much as possible and make another copy , since you have a not so good copy ( just in case it break during bend removal). take the bike and talk to the locksmith and he should be able to help you. (You don't need original blanks from kawa for this.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quote:

you can order the key from kawasaki, if you have the vin number you can get the key cut using a key code. At one time Crazy Carl was selling blank steel keys. That is finished with.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
K2C supplies virtually every type of classic and modern motorcycle key from Aprillia to Yamaha. Rest assured we only use high quality KEY2CODE, HD JMA, Errebi, Keyline or Silca branded key blanks to ensure perfect fitment and cut every time. We guarantee a perfect key cut exactly to the manufacturers original specification as we have unrestricted access to the majority of motorcycle manufacturers key code data.

https://www.key2code.co.uk/motorcycle-keys.html#/
Fastoman likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 06:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
K2C supplies virtually every type of classic and modern motorcycle key from Aprillia to Yamaha. Rest assured we only use high quality KEY2CODE, HD JMA, Errebi, Keyline or Silca branded key blanks to ensure perfect fitment and cut every time. We guarantee a perfect key cut exactly to the manufacturers original specification as we have unrestricted access to the majority of motorcycle manufacturers key code data.

https://www.key2code.co.uk/motorcycle-keys.html#/
So, leaving your key code on the key ring that you use with the bike not such a good idea?
Fastoman likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode