Front axle threads wonít bite - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Front axle threads wonít bite

So, time for the first tire change on the bike. Took my wheels off with no issue besides needing to go find a 14mm Allen bit for the front axle. Went to put the front axle back in so itís secure while Iím getting the tires changed out, and the threads wonít bite. Threads arenít damaged on the axle and I ran my finger inside the end of the fork and couldnít feel any damage on those threads either. Any thoughts on why it wonít thread in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...le-thread.html

Some reference for your problem. If the thread isn't damaged then it should fit in. Keep informed ,other's will chip in later.
Lours_Polaire and Hux83 like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 AM

Garage
Likely just a slight misalignment. Without the wheel as a guide the axle is probably touching the fork making it contact the threads at an angle. Don't force it or you may create damage. Under fork stands can cause the problem too, making one side higher or lower. 2014+ 650 also only use one for spring.
Lours_Polaire, jaaklucas and Hux83 like this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The very fine threads require perfect alignment to get started.

I don't use a paddock stand on the front wheel. Instead I use a pair of ratchet straps on the handle bars to lift the front tire just barely off the ground.

Got a pair of heavy duty hooks screwed into the ceiling joists to accomplish the task.

A little extra work but it gives you unencumbered access to the front end of the bike.
jaaklucas, Skypilot 69 and Hux83 like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. Yeah, Iím using a paddock stand under the forks. End of the axle threads just spins against the end of the internal threads. Gotta pick up some grease this morning, then Iím gonna try reinstalling the wheels, see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
2014+ 650 also only use one for spring.
What do you mean by this?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
2018 Versys 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hux83 View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, I’m using a paddock stand under the forks. End of the axle threads just spins against the end of the internal threads. Gotta pick up some grease this morning, then I’m gonna try reinstalling the wheels, see how it goes.

What do you mean by this?
So did some digging, you have a 2018. I am not sure what you mean by paddock stand, if you are referring to something like a pit stand, that is very dangerous, particularly on the MK-3 , if on the other hand you mean a tripple tree stand , no worries.
There is a out, several people have used a hydraulic jack and a piece of plywood under the exhaust to lift the front. You should have a second person standing by. The other option is leave things alone untill the wheel returns. The problem is the clutch side shock contains the spring, which happens to be the side with the threads in it. If when you took the wheel off, that it was in the air, no worries, what will happen is the weight of the wheel will pull the right side shock down equal to the same distance as the clutch side shock, you may need to lever the tire up a bit, turn that shaft by hand, until you are certain the threads are started.
I have a Venom stand for that, and truthfully when I lowered my bike, I almost lost my clutch handle and a finger. I raised my right side shock, the left side let go like a bullet, there I was by myself, bike heading for the concrete, the clutch cable stopped it. I came up with a way of pressing the shock back into the triple tree. Then I purchased the Venom stand for future work.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Same problem here using a front stand from below. The forks compress at different rates. Bought a cable rachet puller for $30Can at Crappy tire and hoisted the front from the handlebars from a rafter in my garage.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
So did some digging, you have a 2018. I am not sure what you mean by paddock stand, if you are referring to something like a pit stand, that is very dangerous, particularly on the MK-3 , if on the other hand you mean a tripple tree stand , no worries.
There is a out, several people have used a hydraulic jack and a piece of plywood under the exhaust to lift the front. You should have a second person standing by. The other option is leave things alone untill the wheel returns. The problem is the clutch side shock contains the spring, which happens to be the side with the threads in it. If when you took the wheel off, that it was in the air, no worries, what will happen is the weight of the wheel will pull the right side shock down equal to the same distance as the clutch side shock, you may need to lever the tire up a bit, turn that shaft by hand, until you are certain the threads are started.
I have a Venom stand for that, and truthfully when I lowered my bike, I almost lost my clutch handle and a finger. I raised my right side shock, the left side let go like a bullet, there I was by myself, bike heading for the concrete, the clutch cable stopped it. I came up with a way of pressing the shock back into the triple tree. Then I purchased the Venom stand for future work.
This is what I mean. Hadnít noticed it before, but now that Iíve read what you said and looked at this angle, I can see the ends arenít even.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2253.jpg (22.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Hux83; 03-19-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Pic didnít load
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have always had trouble with this until I stuck a long flathead screwdriver into the threaded end of the axle (fortunately hollow) to help align the thing with threads in that fork. Previously I had budgeted 20mins of cussing and praying to get the front axle back in, using the screwdriver last time it genuinely took 2 mins, and I was elated. Good luck!
Hux83 likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@onewizard This is also the first time Iíve seen reference to a MK 3. Iíd always though up through 2014 was Gen 1 and 2015-2020 was Gen 2. I just went off a YT video I found of someone taking the wheels off a 2016.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Caution

Quote:
This is what I mean. Hadnít noticed it before, but now that Iíve read what you said and looked at this angle, I can see the ends arenít even.
Trust me , that is extremely dangerous, especially on the MK-3. All the front downward force is on the clutch side shock. Don't believe me, you can raise the throttle side probably 6 inches, very little effort. So it is like a horse with a missing front right leg.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Trust me , that is extremely dangerous, especially on the MK-3. All the front downward force is on the clutch side shock. Don't believe me, you can raise the throttle side probably 6 inches, very little effort. So it is like a horse with a missing front right leg.
I believe you. Whatís my best bet for fixing this?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I believe you. What’s my best bet for fixing this?
I would take a 2X4 about 2 feet long, use a car scissor jack and a hydraulic jack, just the very front of the catalytic converter, about 1.5 inches with no shield, Use two jacks and raise evenly until you shift weight to the jacks. I hope you have a pit stand in place on the rear. Will find a link and post back shortly,

Here is my rear pit stand, the 2X4 was there to support the tire while removing the axle, the rear brake caliper uses the axle and a cast guide in the swing arm, that needs to be removed, much easier with the tire supported. Going back in, have the 2X4 the long way, you are driving the wheel forward into position, keep in mind, the wood thickness is determined at the start of removal.

This is my Venom stand, used in conjunction with the pit stand.

my stand in operation
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...4-post119.html

See post 122 of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...methods-4.html be aware the balance point is forward of the hole with the pipe through it. anything from that hole towards the rear including using the footpegs will shift more weight onto the forks. The front part of the muffler is the correct spot. roughly 150 to 200LBS at the forks.

same idea with the wood

scissor jack https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...357-post7.html

This one using hydraulic floor jack and wood ;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...30-post25.html

From post 122 of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...methods-4.html

Hux83 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-19-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, the rear has spools up on a stand. As for jacking it up, would a better bet be to use my crash bars? Iíll attach some pics of it below. Iíll have to double check when I get home tonight, but the bike may also be positioned right to be able to hoist it from above if thatís a less sketchy option than jacking it up like that. For future wheel removals, I just ordered a triple tree stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2148.jpg (17.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2147.jpg (18.0 KB, 8 views)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, the rear has spools up on a stand. As for jacking it up, would a better bet be to use my crash bars? I’ll attach some pics of it below. I’ll have to double check when I get home tonight, but the bike may also be positioned right to be able to hoist it from above if that’s a less sketchy option than jacking it up like that. For future wheel removals, I just ordered a triple tree stand.
Make sure you get the correct 27mm pin my Venom stand I had to specify I think kit #2.
Overhead would be best, two points on the handle bars, just to be in case of a oops.

Just looked, you got crash bars, if you have two jack stands, put em underneath. Possibly shim up a bit, if something lets go, no worries. Due note about the wood under the tire, I learned the hard way, lots of 4 letter words trying to get the axle through, lift the wheel etc. . Wood under, use a pry bar or long slot screwdriver, act as a fulcrum to raise the wheel . very easy coming out, almost impossible to see where the axle thread is in relation to the threaded portion of the shock.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-19-2020 at 10:41 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I get that about the wood. I put my foot under the tires for the same reason taking them off.

Edit: looks like I ordered the wrong stand. Just found this in the description
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0312.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Hux83; 03-19-2020 at 08:40 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Kit #2 https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...62-post10.html Of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ont-stand.html
Copied from @quexpress
You need to get a Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand Attachment For Motorcycle Front Wheel Lift Stand (Pin Kit #2).

Note: It has the 27 m pin that is used on our Versys.

If you already have the triple tree stand, just order the Headlift Pins Kit #2 for Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Kit #2 https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...62-post10.html Of this thread https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ont-stand.html
Copied from @quexpress
You need to get a Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand Attachment For Motorcycle Front Wheel Lift Stand (Pin Kit #2).

Note: It has the 27 m pin that is used on our Versys.

If you already have the triple tree stand, just order the Headlift Pins Kit #2 for Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand.
I found the venom stand on amazon, but there isnít an option to get it with kit #2. Only option is to buy a second set of pins separately.
onewizard likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Turn the handlebars slightly (via the stand). This is a bit perilous, I know.

Because of rake angle, one of the fork tube is pushed farther than the other.
If the left is more extended, turn to left an inch or so.

Remember the ground spot and the stand angle for next time you lift, so that you will are already be in a lined up state.

Last edited by dddd; 03-20-2020 at 05:58 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Amazon

Quote:
I found the venom stand on amazon, but there isn’t an option to get it with kit #2. Only option is to buy a second set of pins separately.
This seller lists it top left, most have the option, although I couldn't find any sellers with just the front. I was made aware of this by several members, so I requested the correct pins at no extra charge , notice this seller says pin kit #2 in brackets
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcy...148E0D60C0C59E
quexpress and Hux83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode